Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

QUIZ: The Few.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
A belgian pilot

This is the short and sad story of one of the unsung heroes from the Battle of Britain:
August 26, 1940:
Plane damaged in attack by ME109. Plane returned to base. Pilot unhurt. Plane repairable.
September 4, 1940:
Plane damaged in combat with ME109. Forcelanded following mid-air fire caused by damagede clycol tank. Pilot unhurt - aircraft damaged but repairable.
September 15, 1940:
Flying with a new squadron - Plane severely damaged by ME109 during attack on DO17s over Ashford.
Plane exploded over East Stour farm, Chilham.
No trace of pilot.

Who was the pilot?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Got lucky with that one as he's in the Osprey history of 43 Sqn which I was looking at recently.

Just don't ask me to pronounce it!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Red Leader Soren...

My goodness that avatar really shows a trimmed down you!! You must be off the good wine and cigars;) Or have the 109's been giving you a hairy time recently :D

Just to say 'again' - GREAT THREAD...!!!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The wonders of photoshop, Paddy.:)
Can even make me look like a drawing.
9780850459661.jpg

Better get back to something familiar...changing avatar...NOW!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's one...

Which Battle of Britain ace (5 or more confirmed aerial victories) had a father who won a posthumous VC during WWI with the RFC, and was subsequently buried next to his father at the family estate after being killed during the Battle?

Hopefully this won't be too, too hard.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
A tricky one...

A young WAAF was driving a tractor among the Hurricanes at Debden during Battle of Britain.
The young pilot Dennis Wisler through some sand in the engine, just for a laugh. She did not find it funny at all!!!

Later they got engaged and she trained to be a plotter.

Shortly after he was killed. She was at the plottertable that novemberday 1940 and overheard the dogfight over a convoy in which Dennis Wisler died.

What is the name of the WAAF?;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edith Heap. There's a rather nice picture of her in Kaplan and Collier's "The Few" if memory serves.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
A Spitfire named after her son.

During the Battle of Britain a young pilot failed to return from a mission.
His mother - who had allready lost a daughter and a son in the war - together with the pilots wife started a fund in order to "buy" a Spitfire bearing the pilots name.
What was the name of the pilot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner