Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

QUIZ: The Few.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Right on Killroy:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

A-G-LEWIS-003-1.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Remember the two guys from City Slickers...

Barry and Ira Shalowitz? (The two ice cream guys.) I loved the give-and-take concerning what ice cream went best with each meal.

IRA
Barry can pick out the right flavor of ice cream to follow any meal. Challenge him.

MITCH (Billy Crystal)
Challenge him?

IRA
Come on!

MITCH
Franks and beans.

BARRY
Scoop of chocolate. Scoop of vanilla. DON'T WASTE MY TIME.

+++++++++++++++++

Come on, Spit! Push us! Sea Bass... Potatoes au gratin... Asparagus...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
A bit of a push:

August 29.
Hurrricane VY-B in flames gliding in from the chanel after scrap with ME109.
Crashes near Brigden Hill farm. Pilot bailed out unhurt.

Who was the pilot?

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
Nope.:)

The pilot went missing in action only 3 days later. September 1. 1940.

Sgt. J.H.M.Ellis is listed as missing that day Spitfire, last seen in combat with Bf109's.
I can't cross reference his name against the 29th August action though, where's Tim when you need him!!!:)

Sadly, also the same day as F/O P.P.Woods-Scawen was killed, he was also from 85 sq.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Right on!!!:eusa_clap JHM Ellis is the one.

Ellis_sml.jpg

I only dared to put up this Quiz because I happen to know that Smithy is in London - en route to Sydney. Far away from a computer:D

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I'm about to hit the road...

... coming back from a week at the beach (Outer Banks of North Carolina), so I'm not near my reference works. Will definitely play upon my return to Wash.

warbird

One Too Many
dr greg said:
I read a review of this today,
http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=253704
and in it was mentioned the fact that German pilots had no 'tours', they were basically there until they died or the war was over, which I found interesting in the light of the amount of respect afforded Allied aircrew for their bravery, tenacity etc.

Which is why several of their pilots, especially the ones on the Russian front fighting inferior Ruskie planes, shot down over 300. Most of the Germans that did get shot down were shot down by lend lease P-40's.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
Which is why several of their pilots, especially the ones on the Russian front fighting inferior Ruskie planes, shot down over 300. Most of the Germans that did get shot down were shot down by lend lease P-40's.
Very intersting observation. I have been trying to find facts and figures on just that, since there were both lend lease Hurricane's, Spitfire's and P40's on the eastern front. Besides the YAK's not to mention!
Do you have numbers, stats etc. to back it up?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Who's the pilot?

To get back to the title of this thread, here's another one:

Late september 1940.
Air Vice Marshal Sholto Douglas, Vice Air Chief of Staff visits a Hurricane Squadron at North Weald.
He congratulated several of the pilots for their performance and then asked one of them:
"How do you like to fly Spitfires?" !!!!

Who was the pilot.
(He later wrote about the incident in a book)

warbird

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Very intersting observation. I have been trying to find facts and figures on just that, since there were both lend lease Hurricane's, Spitfire's and P40's on the eastern front. Besides the YAK's not to mention!
Do you have numbers, stats etc. to back it up?

No sir. It was something I remember from several yrs ago that had been stored away in the back of the useless info, which I have too much of, I need to make room for useful info in this head.

When I was still in the business of searching for warbirds I did find 2 P-40's on the edge of Siberia, this would have been in the early 90's. Both of them still had the pilots strapped in and little kids from a local village had been playing on them for yrs. Don't know why they never bothered to bury them. I only did that work for a year and a half, needing a break from politics. But, eventually had to get back to making money, ugh. It was fun work and my last as a pilot. Now I pretty much shoot for a living. Just as much fun as flying was in my book. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner