Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R.I.P., Crocodile Hunter

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It may be trite, but at least he died doing what he loved. For a guy like him (and his family) it has to beat going out in a car wreck or something pedestrian.

Dixon Cannon

Oh Crikey!!!

R.I.P. Steve Irwin. The ironic thing is The Croc Hunter was in negotiations with a Las Vegas resort to develope a stage show to fill the void left by Sigfried & Roy. Uncanny. What a tragedy - my thoughts are with his young wife and family. (His little daughter was with him on the reef during the filming project.) Too sad. :cry:

-dixon cannon

ChorusGirl

Familiar Face
I too, was sad to read about Steve this moring. I agree it seems so surreal. He was such a crazy guy- you kept expecting this sort of thing to happen, but somehow, he always managed to survive, so it never seemed that it really would happen. My best to his family.

-C.G.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
He Pushed The Envelope

I once asked the director of my local zoo if he ever watched the "Crocodile Hunter" and he replied "I can't watch that guy, he scares me".

R.I.P. Steve Irwin

Doh!

One Too Many
This is yet another example of why life isn't always fair: here was a guy who devoted his life to taking huge risks in order to teach us more about the animal kingdom and paid the price, yet the "Jackass" guys still live.

Benny Holiday

Doh! said:
This is yet another example of why life isn't always fair: here was a guy who devoted his life to taking huge risks in order to teach us more about the animal kingdom and paid the price, yet the "Jackass" guys still live.

Yes indeed. He was an amazing bloke, passionate about wildlife, apparently afraid of nothing, a gutsy feller and as Aussie as you can get. Sometimes he seemed foolhardy, but man, he had guts! His energy was amazing. As Fleur said, he cheated death many times, somehow it's unbelievable that he's really gone.

His passing has been big news here in Australia, he represented the quintessential Aussie spirit. He was known around the world but he was still your average bloke, no airs or anything fake about him. I hope his legacy lives on through his family. God bless you Steve.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
It may be trite, but at least he died doing what he loved.

That's the way it should be if it has to happen.. I hope I am doing what I love when it's my time. They said it's extremely rare for people to die from stingrays... just goes to show you never really know when it's gonna be your time... so live each day to it's fullest......................... R.I.P. Steve...........

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I really wasn't all that suprised hearing about this, but, the kids really loved the guy. He seemed like a nice enough bloke. And I agree, at least he died doing what he loved

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just awful

In reading about this the only conclusion one can draw is that it was most certainly his time to go. Stingray barbs coming into contact with humans is a pretty scarce event, and it's almost always in the foot or leg, with a full recovery within 48 hours. It stuck him in an extremely, extremely unlikely spot - the heart area. It's the one place he could have been stung with an all but certainly fatal result. There is only one known case of someone surviving a sting in the chest or stomach.

He lived a dramatic, interesting life, and has left us in a very dramatic way. Rather fitting, really.

What's the phrase? He lived his life all the way up. My heart and sympathy certainly are with his family (and countrymen). At the same time... we should all be so lucky.

Close Shave

New in Town
Last words...

I bet his last words were "Bugger!" in true Ozzy/Irwin style!

They sure don't make too many like him - although I saw something the other day featuring a crazy guy from southern Africa playing with deadly snakes (he got bit by one, went to hospital and was back out playing in 3 hours!) so I guess Steve's protege is out there somewhere.

A far cry from Johnny Morris! (Note to context - this remark will likely only make you smile if you are British and late 30-something!)

Steve

Practically Family
Close Shave said:
They sure don't make too many like him - although I saw something the other day featuring a crazy guy from southern Africa playing with deadly snakes (he got bit by one, went to hospital and was back out playing in 3 hours!) so I guess Steve's protege is out there somewhere.
That was Austin Stevens. He has littleof Irwin's charm in my opinion.

Rest peacefully Steve. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21