Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Radio Transcriptions

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Since there's bound to be some Old Time Radio enthusiasts around the Lounge, I thought I'd share some examples of the original discs that are the source material for the programs that circulate today on tape and mp3....

eip.jpg

This is the oldest radio disc I own -- an example of the Evening In Paris program from early 1930. This series, sponsored by Evening in Paris perfume, aired live in the East over CBS, but recordings were made for the use of stations on the West Coast -- this particular exampe was aired over station KOMO in Seattle. The disc is pressed shellac, 16 inches in diameter, and weighs about two pounds!

rh.jpg

NBC opened its Electrical Transcription Service in 1936, making reference recordings of programs for sponsors and for its own files. This disc is a 1937 musical program called "Riding High," sponsored by a trade association for bicycle manufacturers, and featured Ray Sinatra (Frankie's cousin) and his Orchestra. Guest on this program was singer Ruth Etting -- in one of her last appearances on network radio.

mbg.jpg

During the war, the aluminum platters which formed the backing plate for recording discs were unavailable, and thin plate glass was used as a substitute. They were coated with the same black nitrate lacquer that was used for the aluminum discs, and produced a very fine recording surface -- but they were also extremely breakable. This specimen is an episode from the wartime "Man Behind The Gun" series over CBS.

wp.jpg

Some programs had complimentary recordings made for presentation to program guests. One such example was the "Screen Guild Theatre" program, where Hollywood stars appeared in adaptations of popular films, donating their fees to the Motion Picture Fund for the construction of what would become the Motion Picture Country Home. This album of discs was presented to William Powell as a memento of his participation in the series -- the recordings themselves are 12 inch 78rpm shellac pressings suitable for playing on a home phonograph.

There were many other types of discs used for preserving radio broadcasts -- but these will give you an idea of what they were like!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Wolf said:
Definately cool.
What is the William Powell one?

The Wolf

It's a half-hour adaptation of the film "Change Partners," in which Powell costars with Ginger Rogers. Rogers would have also received a set of discs to mark the occasion, suitably inscribed with her name.

In addition to this set, I've got an empty Screen Guild album folder inscribed to Joan Bennett -- but she must've lost the discs!

Sunny

One Too Many
Those are really neat, Lizzie! They're older than most of what I've got, too. (All on .mp3 - sorry, no pictures to share.) I'll have to see if I can find "Change Partners." Of William Powell, all I've got is the Lux Radio Theater of "The Thin Man" and "My Man Godfrey." I haven't even heard of the other shows, although the musical ones don't seem to traded as much. What kind of show was "Evening in Paris"?

Now, Hannigan Reilly, I know what you listen to! Very nice picture. Do you know which Dollar it is? I see we both went with a particular show for avatars and signatures. Can you recognize mine?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Evening in Paris" was a sort of musical pastiche of what Americans imagined a twenties-era Paris nightclub might have been like -- all very La Vie Parisienne and all. The idea was to promote the total experience of an "Evening in Paris," which a lady might live all the time with a judicious application of the sponsor's perfume and powder. It's an excellent example of the kind of "program-as-advertisement" approach that characterized radio advertising in the first years of network broadcasting.

As far as I've been able to find, the disc is the only complete example of the series known to exist.

Sunny

One Too Many
How interesting! I'm trying to think of other examples and drawing a blank. Later on I know that shows worked their sponsors' products into the script to varying degrees. "Sherlock Holmes" with Petry (Petri?) Wine was one of the most irritating ones, but I didn't mind "Richard Diamond" lighting up a Camel as he tailed somebody. (As if I'd mind anything Dick Powell did! *sigh* I'm in love. :D ) Were they exclusively in the 1920s? I think the earliest shows I've got are three Jack Bennys from 1934, maybe 1933. The low sound quality makes them pretty hard to listen to. :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It was a very common technique up until the early thirties. Prior to 1929, the networks didn't allow "direct advertising" in their programs, so it was necessary for sponsors to promote their products indirectly without actual sales talk. So you had programs like the "Clicquot Club Eskimos" -- a dance band that sounded like a bottle of ginger ale would sound if it could play music. Or the Ipana Troubadours, which had a theme song called "Smiles," appropriate for a toothpaste. "Evening in Paris" was a late example of the technique, and incorporated a bit of direct sales talk -- but nowhere near as much as became common by the mid-thirties.

If I can figure out how to post the file to my website, I'll post a link to an mp3 of the program, so you can give a listen...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Radio

Fascinating. I enjoy "all things Radio;" especially 1930s and pre-war
programs.
??? Did you ever catch the television series, 'Remember WENN?'
:eusa_clap

Sunny

One Too Many
Aha, that makes sense! I enjoy seeing in the later shows how they were always experimenting with different ways to integrate advertisements. In the later "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar," it's far more like a television show, with very professional-sounding ads and no single sponsor. Of course, that was in the late fifties to very early sixties.

So you had programs like the "Clicquot Club Eskimos" -- a dance band that sounded like a bottle of ginger ale would sound if it could play music.
lol lol lol My mental equipment is hurting trying to figure that one out!

I'd admire to have a listen to your mp3! Please let me know if/when you figure out how to get it up there.

I'm afraid I didn't see "Remember WENN," but I've heard good things. What are your favorite shows in particular, Harp?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
(Download no longer available)

As for the Eskimos, they were a band which featured banjos. Lots and lots of banjos, under the direction of Harry Reser, one of the best banjo virtuosos of the '20s. Their theme song, the Clicquot March, featured the yelping and barking of Eskimo sled dogs ( a sound effect created by snapping a piece of clothesline thru a hole punched in the bottom of a tin can), and the whole production was built around the sponsor's Eskimo boy logo. The band even performed in stage shows dressed in fur parkas -- a prime example of place-product marketing before the term was even invented! (You can hear them performing their theme song here. -- http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/reser/eskimos/clicquotcce.ram)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
As for the Eskimos, they were a band which featured banjos. Lots and lots of banjos, under the direction of Harry Reser, one of the best banjo virtuosos of the '20s. Their theme song, the Clicquot March, featured the yelping and barking of Eskimo sled dogs ( a sound effect created by snapping a piece of clothesline thru a hole punched in the bottom of a tin can), and the whole production was built around the sponsor's Eskimo boy logo. The band even performed in stage shows dressed in fur parkas -- a prime example of place-product marketing before the term was even invented! (You can hear them performing their theme song here. -- http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/reser/eskimos/clicquotcce.ram)
That is just Hilarious about the Clicquot Club Eskimos! Had no idea they were a promotional band when they started - I have a couple of their commercial records on Domino (example below - how cool is that sleeve design) where they're just playing great straight ahead hot jazz dance music from the late 20s. Definitely can tell they're the same band in that sound clip, but they really could play inspired hot stuff when they wanted to.

Thanks for sharing LM, those WWII glass discs are Too Cool :cool2:, I kept hoping I'd find one in the hunting days but never did.

DominoSleeve.jpg

Swing High,
- C H

silverscreen789

New in Town
My first post. I love radio. I would like to hear this program, Evening in Paris, so very much, but I was unable to get the link to work. Is there any way possible to post this again, Lizzie? I would be so very grateful.

Erika

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
silverscreen789 said:
My first post. I love radio. I would like to hear this program, Evening in Paris, so very much, but I was unable to get the link to work. Is there any way possible to post this again, Lizzie? I would be so very grateful.

Erika

Welcome to the Lounge Erika! You're definitely among plenty of old time radio enthusiasts around here!

Interesting...I've missed this thread for as long as I've been a member here...I love discovering new treasures!

I guess another few examples of merging sponsor products with the radio shows would be "Father Knows Best" and Maxwell House Coffee, and "Ozzie and Harriet" with 1847 Rogers Bros., although those two advertisements were primarily as the very start of the show, and didn't really mingle with the episode's script.

silverscreen789

New in Town
Thank you so much for responding, Lizzie. I appreciate it. :) I was hoping that this particular broadcast might feature Agnes Moorehead as either Nana or Cousin Anna, but I've read that she didn't become involved with the program until 1932. Still, I would love to hear it. I will get back with you once I've posted enough. Thank you again.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
LizzieMaine said:
You can enjoy an Evening in Paris right here.
http://www.midcoast.com/~lizmcl/EIP300317.mp3

It's a 6.5mb download, and is a straight transfer off the disc with no processing. Apologies for the surface noise -- there are lamination cracks on the surface of the transcription.

"What Ho Miss Lizzzie,

I could not get your "Evening in Paris" link to work?"

pip Pip

B.B

Marla

A-List Customer
Reading this thread has reminded me of something I've always wondered: who originally recorded the programs to disks? Who kept them all these years before they were released on the internet? I'm wondering because it appears that the catalogs of many radio shows I enjoy are incomplete. Why is it that some episodes, and in certain cases entire seasons, are missing? Is it possible that many old radio disks remain undiscovered?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner