Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF Aircrew Boots

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
YBut let's face it - go in a pub wearing the full ensemble and it'd be asking to get the "Where'd you park your bomber, mate? You find room in the car park? Hur Hur" comments … Oh, so original.

Just say, "I dropped a Grand Slam on your car before I parked Mate!"

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I like the polished Look as much as the dull suede and Rubber Look on those boots.

I think back in the 80s 90s US calvary magazine had RAF escape boots to order, but they were Imitation looking, but still looked good.

US calvary Magazine? Weren't they connected to Cockpit? My first 1936 Pattern Boots were from Cockpit - unfortunately they were a bit too tight. But the biggest problem were the black, thick, profiled rubber soles!!!!! Horrible!

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well that is something to think about.

Currently, I often wear my LL Bean Maine Hunting Boots as sort of a kicking around in the backyard, rain, snow, step into to take the dogs out boots.

And so, I had thought that a pair of RAF boots would be just the ticket to up the ante a bit. Taller, warmer, and easier to slip on (onto my feet that is, though it sounds like they are good for that type of slipping as well!).

And I will admit to actually wearing my roll neck with the Irvin on blustery days in the 20s here. But, one of the benefits of being in the States is that most people couldn't tell a RAF Battle of Britain outfit from a pair of dingo's kidneys.

The boots and the jacket might be just enough to cross that line though, sweater aside.

Of course, as has been said, I would mostly wear this outfit kicking around the house and basking in comfort, not marching about town. But at least I can wear my LL Bean boots to the grocery or to pick up dog food without looking like a half-assed Hells Angel, so maybe the RAF boots would be too much to wear outside....ever.

Thanks for that. Like I said, something I need to consider a bit now. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I say go for it.
It's on my 'to do' list -the mutt deserves long winter evening walks, and I deserve an Irvin and some boots.
Some grippy rubber soles cobbled on, and they'll be fine.
Deacon, I reckon they'd be ok for walking the dog, going out in the yard, and going to the store in, I'd just avoid wearing them out with the wife to a restaurant unless it is actually snowing.

(Disclaimer: I've just spent this weekend in the 'Japan Alps', and have re-evaluated my opinion of these boots. I've been wearing my B-3 and some Danner boots, but these fleecy boots would have been neat!).

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Off topic, and I'll likely get a slap from the mods, but I do think that dressing up as a nazi is a strange way to have fun (outside of an S&M club, of course).

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Off topic, and I'll likely get a slap from the mods, but I do think that dressing up as a nazi is a strange way to have fun (outside of an S&M club, of course).

Aaargh! Not the re-enactment thread derailment certainty again, please!

Surely, all those who think a lot about about, and dress up in, old clothes of special kinds are a bit odd. Of course we are. Fetishism is a continuum, as places like TFL and VLJF show time and again... ;)

Although we'd probably all agree it's a bit too soon for ISIS/ISIL/Da'esh/IS impressions...

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Getting the thread back on track quickly, the lack of tread would be a deal breaker but I do like those boots - it would be great to have a shoe that doesn't require a second pair of socks to keep my feet warm.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Good idea!

I was mulling buying a pair a while back but couldn't see how to get them wearable without a major rubber sole intervention.

What's the consensus on this? Thin, cheap stick-ons? That'd be the easiest way to keep the integrity of the boot. Anything thicker might alter the profile. Then again, that might just lead to the soles underneath rotting or degrading over time. I'd be interested to see what Standby had done.

Edit: I've added rubber soles to good all-leather boots in the past without too much bother - drying at room temperature on the few occasions I've worn them in the rain - and they've lasted a good few years with no problems. But I'm not sure how they'd work in snow and slush.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Getting the thread back on track quickly, the lack of tread would be a deal breaker but I do like those boots - it would be great to have a shoe that doesn't require a second pair of socks to keep my feet warm.

No way dude!
Just like the guilty pleasure of a B-3 with just a t-shirt underneath, I'd wear those boots with no socks!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Good idea!

I was mulling buying a pair a while back but couldn't see how to get them wearable without a major rubber sole intervention.

What's the consensus on this? Thin, cheap stick-ons? That'd be the easiest way to keep the integrity of the boot. Anything thicker might alter the profile. Then again, that might just lead to the soles underneath rotting or degrading over time. I'd be interested to see what Standby had done.

Yes, that's where this thread is really going;
'Best way to add rubber sole to repro RAF Aircrew boots?'.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I've seriously fallen in love with the idea of having a pair of those boots over the weekend.
The dogs got fur, I want some too.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
No way dude!
Just like the guilty pleasure of a B-3 with just a t-shirt underneath, I'd wear those boots with no socks!

It would be like walking barefoot on a shag pile carpet all the time! *adds boots to next winter's shopping list*

Big J

Call Me a Cab
It would be like walking barefoot on a shag pile carpet all the time! *adds boots to next winter's shopping list*

Yes! It'd be great.
Hell, if I can't get some rubber soles, maybe I'll just get a pair and wear them as slippers around the house.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire, those are some really beautiful boots.
I remember looking at them on Aero's website years ago. I don't think they were available in my size.

Has anyone tried these? Not 100% accurate, but seem to have a grippy heel.
http://www.motorcowboy.com/product/WWII1/Classic-RAF-1936-Pattern-Flying-Pilot-Boots.html

Deacon, if you have tiny feet, you could try these;
http://www.historicflyingclothing.com/ww2-raf_itemcat_1050

Although Lewis Leathers boots look ok for the price;
http://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=BootFlyNo204A

I don't know if these are any good;
http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/1606-UK-1936-Pattern-Flight-Boots/

Some options there (especially for people with small feet). For me it'd have to be SMWholesale, Lewis Leathers, or Motorcowboy. Does anyone have experience of these 3 manufacturers boots in terms of sizing and construction quality?

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I had a thin rubber sole put on my Aero's. I take them to Oshkosh every year. The smooth leather sole was way too slick..even with morning dew on the grass. Better traction on the wings of the aircraft as well.
The link for the onlinemilitaria above takes you direct to WPG site. I believe they are Pakistani made. Not bad for the price. That site only lists size 9. The same boots are on eBay w/ size choice for 285USD. Currently only in brown.
Better pix too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/23147738251...49&var=530736160356&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I had a thin rubber sole put on my Aero's. I take them to Oshkosh every year. The smooth leather sole was way too slick..even with morning dew on the grass. Better traction on the wings of the aircraft as well.
The link for the onlinemilitaria above takes you direct to WPG site. I believe they are Pakistani made. Not bad for the price. That site only lists size 9. The same boots are on eBay w/ size choice for 285USD. Currently only in brown.
Better pix too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/23147738251...49&var=530736160356&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Those look nice enough, and they have my size!
Does anyone have any experience with the WPG boots?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails