Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF Aircrew Boots

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Big J, you asked about quality? If you follow the link to the boots on the WPG site, you will see about a dozen reviews from customers. It should answer your questions.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I have never actually seen a pair of WPG 1936 pattern boots - but somehow they do not look like the real thing.
They have been discussed previously here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?26585-Flying-boots

But if accuracy is not important, go for it!

I agree, they aren't quite as 'right' as the Aero boots, which look amazing. Unfortunately, Aero don't make them in a US size 14, so unless I'm willing to give up my toes, I'm not going to buy some, which is a real shame.
Unlike jackets, I guess it's impossible for Aero to do me a one-off pair in my size, and I'm guessing that demand for a bigger size isn't enough to warrant production.
Sad boy I am.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hehe, it's funny. I thought this thread was dead!

Of course, about the time I began wondering if these were for me we get a historic snow in Kentucky.

Someone trying to tell me something? ;)

I wish I knew a little more about sizing. I would normally lean towards a 12. But if they are a bit narrow, I could easily fit into the 13 both these places seem to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I only wish that Aero would start making them again. And get the vamp and the "saddle-stitches" right this time.
But the ones from Lewis aren't too bad either. Not perfect. But close.
And yes, Deacon - I think somebody IS trying to tell you something! :)

Stand By

One Too Many
Just say, "I dropped a Grand Slam on your car before I parked Mate!"

I normally just look blankly as they drolly amuse themselves, and I stand there looking completely uncomprehending … and then when they've finished, I look blankly - and then I give them a look as though a penny's just dropped and I startle myself and I say "OH! It's the jacket, right?! Ohhhh. Do you know, you're the first one to ever say anything. That's funny. It's never struck me before ….". Then I ignore them and go back to my pint.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I only wish that Aero would start making them again. And get the vamp and the "saddle-stitches" right this time.
But the ones from Lewis aren't too bad either. Not perfect. But close.
And yes, Deacon - I think somebody IS trying to tell you something! :)

Yeah!
All of the above! AND larger sizes!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I normally just look blankly as they drolly amuse themselves, and I stand there looking completely uncomprehending … and then when they've finished, I look blankly - and then I give them a look as though a penny's just dropped and I startle myself and I say "OH! It's the jacket, right?! Ohhhh. Do you know, you're the first one to ever say anything. That's funny. It's never struck me before ….". Then I ignore them and go back to my pint.

You know what, that's one thing I love about Japan- people still dress up to go out, and no one cares.

Stand By

One Too Many
As for the re-soling on my ELC boots, it was a must. As I said, they were devilishly slippery in wintry conditions and shovelling snow was an especially ridiculous state of affairs in them - as it wasn't possible to get any resistance when driving the shovel; I'd push the shovel and it would stay where it was and I'd move backwards!
So after just one winter (so this would be Spring of 1988 or 1989) I took mine to an old cobbler down the road from me who'd always been on the corner in Broomhill, Sheffield (next to Boots if anyone's local here) since I was a nipper - and I took them in there and said I wanted something with some grip but would still maintain the look of the boots - something appropriate.
He didn't blink and he pulled out some rubber soles (one for the heels, one for the front end ) - the name "Magna" comes to mind (?) and they stated Made In England on them - and he cobbled them on and they stayed on and I never had a single issue with them. The heel stack would sometimes get some salt stains on the sides and he'd buff them out at the end of a season but that was it. No rot or damp, no separation, no nothing - but then I was always polishing them and keeping them nice. They looked the part completely and when I traded them in with Gary at ELC a couple of years ago, he took photos for the Re-Issue section and they photographed really well, I thought.
The boots had a leather insole - and I found a sheepskin one and put that in on top - so it was all sheepskin in there. Utterly delightful!

And yes, Spitfire - alone with a single malt and an Irvin and those boots up on a table … just sheer contentment. I totally get it. :)

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
As for the re-soling on my ELC boots, it was a must. As I said, they were devilishly slippery in wintry conditions and shovelling snow was an especially ridiculous state of affairs in them - as it wasn't possible to get any resistance when driving the shovel; I'd push the shovel and it would stay where it was and I'd move backwards!
So after just one winter (so this would be Spring of 1988 or 1989) I took mine to an old cobbler down the road from me who'd always been on the corner in Broomhill, Sheffield (next to Boots if anyone's local here) since I was a nipper - and I took them in there and said I wanted something with some grip but would still maintain the look of the boots - something appropriate.
He didn't blink and he pulled out some rubber soles (one for the heels, one for the front end ) - the name "Magna" comes to mind (?) - and he cobbled them on and they stayed on and I never had a single issue with them. The heel stack would sometimes get some salt stains on the sides and he'd buff them out at the end of a season but that was it. No rot or damp, no separation, no nothing - but then I was always polishing them and keeping them nice. They looked the part completely and when I traded them in with Gary at ELC a couple of years ago, he took photos for the Re-Issue section and they photographed really well, I thought.
The boots had a leather insole - and I found a sheepskin one and put that in on top - so it was all sheepskin in there. Utterly delightful!

And yes, Spitfire - alone with a single malt and an Irvin and those boots up on a table … just sheer contentment. I totally get it. :)

Wow, that takes me back. I studied in Sheffield way back. Long winters, and seven hills, just like Rome. Oh! Snake Pass!

Stand By

One Too Many
Wow, that takes me back. I studied in Sheffield way back. Long winters, and seven hills, just like Rome. Oh! Snake Pass!
Indeed - and home was up on the highest of those hills at Lodge Moor. Windy much? It's the only place where one of my contact lenses was actually blown out!

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
1941 pattern boots.jpg

http://www.replicaters.com/ww2rafuniforms.html

Found this site, fabricating repro RAF flying boots, sending worldwide, any size, door delivered.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails