Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF gear - New Picture!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all. Here's a photo of the current state of my RAF acquisitions. A repro WWII era Officer's Cap, repro Battledress Jacket, Halcyon MKVIII RAF Goggles, repro early pattern flying gloves, and an authentic Webley MKVI. Yeah, yeah, I know that officially the Webley MKVI was not the WWII Webley, but I know for a fact that more than one MKVI saw service with the Brits during the war with Hitler.

rafgear.JPG

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So Squadron Leader, when...

Will you be getting a nice sheepskin Irvin to go with that kit of yours? The blousen will look great with some KC wings, and some officers' tapes on the shoulders :) Eastmans' do a great roll neck jumper and Aero are doing the RAF boots!! hey, could be an expensive year for you if you go by my shopping list!! LoL. The RAF aircrew look can look very, very cool!! Ask BT about some RAF specs from WWII, he's the man!! And there's a site somewhere (might be "Pegasus") who do great repro 1938 and the newer 1940 life preservers for RAF reenactors. Then there's another fella in Canada does the proper cardboard green and red dog tags...I could go on, but it's bedtime here across the pond in Blightey, and I need my beauty sleep more than the rest of you. Just born ugly I guess!!!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey guys,

Thanks for the compliments. I snagged the hat from WPG and the BD jacket from Air Digger, which I believe is a WPG jacket.

Yeah - I'd love to find some pants, boots and webbing. Hard to come by though. Maybe some NCO stripes and Eagle Squadron insignia too...

Wish I could be in London this September for the BOB Memorial Dedication, but that ship looks like it's sailed without me.

Alas, looks like I won't be coming home anytime soon.

Mike

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
RAF sweaters

Paddy,

You may be amused to find the repeating threads about Eastman's version of the RAF pully on the RAF re-enactor's forum:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748

The theory is that they are re-badged Royal Navy jumpers of a modern issue. While I can't confirm that, they certainly aren't like the WW2 Frock White as it was charmingly called.

Alan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Where could I get good repro/original of RAF sunglasses..?

BT and gang. Where could I get a repro or even reasonably priced originals of the RAF WWII sunglasses..?

RAFSUNGLASSES2.jpg

Boywearingsunglasses.jpg

grant

Familiar Face
Paddy,
Great looking Irvin. I'm the odd duck here in NYC when I wear my Irvin.
Someone at work nicknamed me Biggles when they see me wearing one.

Grant

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Great Job MDFrench!

Your kit is coming along very nicely!
Have you joined a Living History Unit as yet?
We've added alot of new Living History images over at:

http://www.eaglesquadrons.com

Some may help you in your search for the detailed "goods"
Also many updates can be found in our "KIT" section, a great resource for new, and vintage RAF/AAF kit.
Keep up the good work, and let us know how we can help!

Regards,
ShanghaiJack

Jake

One of the Regulars
Sunglasses

PADDY said:
BT and gang. Where could I get a repro or even reasonably priced originals of the RAF WWII sunglasses..?

RAFSUNGLASSES2.jpg

Boywearingsunglasses.jpg
Paddy I just picked up a pair of RayBans during a recent visit to San Francisco in China town that look very simular.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RayBans...pray tell....

Are they a modern production, or an old vintage pair...? as I don't mind paying a few bob for a modern rendition of an old vintage :)

I would even buy a cheap pair of Foster Grants' if they had 'the look' to them. I must check on my local Woolworths again (cheapy store in UK).

Jake

One of the Regulars
Paddy, they are modern production, I bought them because I liked the look and have never seen that style in a RayBan. From the front they look just like the ones in the picture, but the side rails have a more modern look to them.....Jake

RAAF

New in Town
Nice Kit, MDFrench

If you need trousers, you should check with Air Diggers. I purchased a few odds and ends from them and was able to trade in my RAF battledress trousers as part of the deal. Not sure what size you need but I traded in a size 34"W which I'm now too bloody fat to fit into :beer: tried on once or twice but never worn for more than a few minutes.

Alan Eardley/Belly Tank: I was out in Michigan for the Thunder air show and saw a gent wearing a very nice reproduction of the aircrew frock. I didn't ask who made it but it was very accurate down to the shapeless bag profile and mock-t style baggy collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael