Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF pilot masks on US flight helmets

Spitfire41

New in Town
IMG00002-20100319-2250.jpg

Hello all, I was hoping to get some assistance on this please. I found this photo of US Colonel Henry of the 339th fighter group wearing what appears to be a US B-6 type helmet (with the brow removed) and an A-14 oxygen mask. What I thought was interesting was what appears to be snaps to wear an RAF type "D" oxygen mask and wanted to see if anyone had any photos or information on how common the Type "D" masks were with US pilots with US head gear please. My guess is early entry into the war for US pilots a lot of them were flying in RAF aircraft (Spitfires) and the use of RAF equipment was common with US pilot but this was the 1st time I've seen this set up on a US type helmet.

Thanks all for any info!

Jabos

A-List Customer
In my experience with the 370th Fighter Group (featured in that last photo in the above link), the USAAF guys were issued British headgear, goggles, and oxy masks. My grandfather got the british issue helmet and oxygen mask but US issue goggles. It was a mix and match thing, at least with that outfit.

Spitfire41

New in Town
Hello Gentlemen! thank you for the information! Here is a couple of examples as you mentioned, US pilots with partial or full RAF head kit. I had actually heard that some of the US pilots would of sorts "scrap" for the RAF equipment because it was more comfortable than the US gear.

MAY1-2.jpg

aamahurin.jpg

What stuck me weird about the the pick of the B-6 pic was the type "D" RAF masks were being phased out for the type "E" around the time the Yanks jumped into the war. Perhaps it was just a simple case of hand me down equipment and some of the early US pilots just got what they got.

Spitfire41

New in Town
Hey all, sorry to bother but I wanted to check one more time on this one please? I just purchased a b6 flight helmet and wanted to set it up with an RAF type D mask but i'm not sure how common place that was (and I guess it really doesnt matter either, it appears that was a set up according to the top pic).

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Spitfire41 said:
I had actually heard that some of the US pilots would of sorts "scrap" for the RAF equipment because it was more comfortable than the US gear.

QUOTE]

I've heard exactly the same kind of thing. The 56th Fighter Group definitely used a lot of RAF equipment. I've seen a large number of pictures from the 56th with pilots even wearing the heavy British boots. Some of the veterans said they used to trade American articles like jackets, watches, etc. for the RAF stuff. They said it was better than the American stuff.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Also the 4FG used a large amount of RAF kit, borne over from their days as the Eagle Squadrons of the RAF. I posted a pic here a few years back (sorry can't remember the thread) showing a group of 4FG pilots wearing everything from Irvin jackets, 36 Patterns, etc, etc.

Spitfire41

New in Town
Thank you Gentlemen, I really appreciate the help! So you think a B-6 flight helmet with a type "D" mask would look funny? LOL I think I'm going to add the snaps to the B-6 that I have.

Thanks all!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic