Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralphs-Pugh Company

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Another one for the books.

View attachment 589024
A later version, absent the front piping. One of my best. 1950s

1708709975443.jpeg
1708709999765.jpeg
1708710028566.jpeg
1708710073869.jpeg
1708710093236.jpeg
1708710123170.jpeg
1708710142036.jpeg

Bonasera

One of the Regulars
LO=December 1940. This label was registered in 1938, commemorating the completion of the Golden Gate bridge.

This could be the missing label.

Did you post a black Mission Leather some time ago?

View attachment 593423
Thanks for nice information.
I thought this was made in later 40s, but
it seems to earlier than I expected.

I posted my mission leather jacket. That was my first post in FL.

Post in thread 'Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past' https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-outerwear-threads-of-the-past.102621/post-2921632

Attachments

• DSC_1252.JPG
    DSC_1252.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • DSC_1257.JPG
    DSC_1257.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 33

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for nice information.
I thought this was made in later 40s, but
it seems to earlier than I expected.

I posted my mission leather jacket. That was my first post in FL.

Thank you for posting your jackets. I'm glad I could provide some information.

I just found these pics from your post. Can you post the date code? Thanks

1708711767887.jpeg
1708711785525.jpeg
1708711804325.jpeg
1708711824130.jpeg
1708711841274.jpeg
1708711857797.jpeg

jeo

One Too Many
Yes, I found it on an IG account I follow chrishagervintage. Posted back in Dec and sold before that.

He has this really cool “Well Made” Leather Jacket Co. of California. Don’t see this label too often. Don’t know if he still has it or not but you can reach out.

IMG_7076.jpeg
IMG_7077.jpeg

Nacho

Practically Family
Yes, I found it on an IG account I follow chrishagervintage. Posted back in Dec and sold before that.

He has this really cool “Well Made” Leather Jacket Co. of California. Don’t see this label too often. Don’t know if he still has it or not but you can reach out.

View attachment 593504 View attachment 593505

I speculate that this might be a work of Taubers. I found this cross zip with the same label. There are a few features that resemble Taubers such as the pocket flap, the back, the collar, and the overall profile design.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

The font of the label kinda look similar to 60s Taubers label too, especially the "of" and "CALIFORNIA". And ofc the purple colour.

3.jpg

640x418-2018050500028.jpg

jeo

One Too Many
I speculate that this might be a work of Taubers. I found this cross zip with the same label. There are a few features that resemble Taubers such as the pocket flap, the back, the collar, and the overall profile design.

View attachment 593506
View attachment 593507
View attachment 593510

The font of the label kinda look similar to 60s Taubers label too, especially the "of" and "CALIFORNIA". And ofc the purple colour.

View attachment 593511
View attachment 593512

I have that same image and others and have speculated the same thing.

There are differences but also a lot of similarities. To me I usually try to assess based on what I can ascertain from the pattern. And the collar shape, especially the bottom lapels on Taubers MC jackets are prettt specific. To me it very well looks like it could be Taubers.

Makers that are close together geographically pretty much copied each other. And there were many in California in that era. There are multiple examples of this. So you can never really know for sure unless you find other connections like labels etc…

Nacho

Practically Family
I have that same image and others and have speculated the same thing.

There are differences but also a lot of similarities. To me I usually try to assess based on what I can ascertain from the pattern. And the collar shape, especially the bottom lapels on Taubers MC jackets are prettt specific. To me it very well looks like it could be Taubers.

Makers that are close together geographically pretty much copied each other. And there were many in California in that era. There are multiple examples of this. So you can never really know for sure unless you find other connections like labels etc…

Well, I was gonna go and say that if you look at the Well-made cross zip label, they don't stitch the top portion which I see a lot in Taubers jackets.

But then I think about other West Coast makers like you said. Some of them don't stitch the top portion either. LA Sports Tog came to mind. CSC doesn't even stitch the top and the bottom of their label. So that really doesn't say much there.

However, the cross zip just looks and feels like a Taubers. We had this conversation before where you said after all them years looking at jackets, things just start to stick to your mind. You probably can tell that I'm a huge fan of Taubers and I've been looking at their jackets for a while now. So yeah, I'm inclined to say that this cross zip could very well be a Taubers.

I don't know about the first one though. Could be somebody else. I think this Well Made label is similar to Durable where a bunch of makers made jackets under it. Not much info on it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
Well, I was gonna go and say that if you look at the Well-made cross zip label, they don't stitch the top portion which I see a lot in Taubers jackets.

But then I think about other West Coast makers like you said. Some of them don't stitch the top portion either. LA Sports Tog came to mind. CSC doesn't even stitch the top and the bottom of their label. So that really doesn't say much there.

Yeah I don’t think how labels are stitched says much unless it’s really specific like how Peter’s jackets have a stitch line extending upwards from the top left corner.

However, the cross zip just looks and feels like a Taubers.

It definitely looks like Taubers.

So wait do you own this one? I could have sworn I have those same images, probably saved in my IG somewhere, but I’ll need to check again. (Edit - or maybe it’s in one of the books) I know I have at least a couple images one of which is the one I just posted.

I don't know about the first one though. Could be somebody else. I think this Well Made label is similar to Durable where a bunch of makers made jackets under it. Not much info on it though.

That’s possible that a few people made jackets for this label.

It says “Leather Jacket Co.” not sure that doesn’t mean they were a maker themselves.

Sometimes you see right on the label “manufactured by” or something similar but that’s not true for every maker. Sometimes it’s “styled by” sometimes it’s “tailored by”.

Taubers labels don’t have anything like that (at least from my recollection) and they were a maker.

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many
omg!1 never seen a Ralphs-Pugh in this color. I'm dying of envy. Who compares with Ralphs-Pugh?

Thanks for finding these gems!

Seller was in Minnesota. I made him an offer but he didn’t want PayPal so he sold locally for $1400 cash. We may see it listed again for sale on eBay. It looked like a size 38, maybe a small 40.

Seller was in Minnesota. I made him an offer but he didn’t want PayPal so he sold locally for $1400 cash. We may see it listed again for sale on eBay. It looked like a size 38, maybe a small 40.
lol. That seller was banned from a group I belong to on FB that focuses on vintage menswear. Apparently he used the group to gather intel and then likely flings to IG or other media outlets.
IMG_2824.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner