Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralphs-Pugh Company

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I thought these were California Sportswear... Would love to be wrong- I love this style!
I call this the "Cat's Eye", I have this jacket in black and brown. Notice the difference in the label, yet have the same horsehide tag. No doubt the same maker. Most Californian Sportswear had the leather on the label, not a separate label.

They used a leather tag when producing under a different label. I have example of these unlabeled jackets. They used a different leather tag during this time also, which appears on another of my jackets with the "whip" label.

The Brown Cat is a 44, the black Cat is a 40 and needs work, no label.

I've seen the evidence above as makers for JC Penney. I'm a Believer. I see these Cats as California Sportswear. They are heavy jackets with fine leather.

DSC07170.JPG
DSC07171.JPG

DSC07182.JPG

Distinctive California Sportswear technique

DSC07178.JPG

Bonasera

One of the Regulars
Another RP jacket arrived.
He doesn't have a label, but I think this is horsehide.

Zipper : Brass Conmar
Buttons on the cuffs. They are same buttons to my RP police jacket.
Similar back panel design to Hercules
Lining is an iridescent fabric, I'm glad most of it keep clean, though there is some small holes.

DSC_3278~2.JPG DSC_3279~2.JPG DSC_3280~2.JPG DSC_3281~2.JPG

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Lining is an iridescent fabric, I'm glad most of it keep clean, though there is some small holes.

View attachment 547566 View attachment 547567 View attachment 547568 View attachment 547569
Beautiful! Mid 1940s Ralphs Pugh. That is their "D" pocket configuration. I would say it is their amazing Steerhide. Nevers seen this Conmar on a RP. Is their any evidence of a label? Union label?

Reactions: jeo

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

jeo

One Too Many

View attachment 547566 View attachment 547567 View attachment 547568 View attachment 547569

Beautiful! This was the one on FakeAlpha I missed out on. Good to know it went to you! Fairly certain this is their signature steerhide leather.

Nacho

Practically Family

Bonasera

One of the Regulars
Better than a Herc. Unbelievable.
Thanks, Hercules is great but Im addicted to RP even more for their design, leather and unknown history.
Beautiful! This was the one on FakeAlpha I missed out on. Good to know it went to you! Fairly certain this is their signature steerhide leather.
Thanks. Decided to buy from pictures on their blogs. I called and asked them about leather condition. And decided to take a chance.
Another great score, Masaki-san.
Thanks. If you have questions on Japanese again, let me know.

Bonasera

One of the Regulars
Posting my first RP jacket that I posted on other thread before.

CHP style
All zippers are talon. The front zipper box has a mark "F1" .
The jacket used to has a throat latch, but
removed unfortunately.
Size tag says "40" but fits like 38

DSC_3329~2.JPG DSC_3324~2.JPG DSC_3317~2.JPG DSC_3318.JPG DSC_3319~2.JPG DSC_3320~2.JPG DSC_3321.JPG DSC_3322~2.JPG DSC_3323~2.JPG DSC_3325~2.JPG

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
very nice! Date is June 1941. This steerhide label was registered in 1938 in a green color. This helps date the move from the green label.

Look outstanding as I have found all RP products.

Congratulations is owning a true vintage classic from a premier maker.

Bonasera

One of the Regulars
very nice! Date is June 1941. This steerhide label was registered in 1938 in a green color. This helps date the move from the green label.

Look outstanding as I have found all RP products.

Congratulations is owning a true vintage classic from a premier maker.
Thanks.
I'd be happy if my posts could be help to reveal the RP's history.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
My second RP jacket.

D pocket jacket.
The front zipper is talon with a mark "3".
No buttons and zippers on the sleeves.
3 panels design on and a halfbelt on the back.
Side adjust belts.
Size tag says 42 fits like 40.
View attachment 549132 View attachment 549133 View attachment 549134 View attachment 549135 View attachment 549136 View attachment 549137
Another! They never showed up and now they are coming out of the closets. Outstanding jacket. The zipper stop is probably a sunrise Talon with no sunrise, maybe pot metal? Early WWII war time zipper. c.1942.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner