Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RARE BOOK Tailoring Men's Suits 1953

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
[EDIT]: SOLD, thanks Carter. Glad to know the tailoring books went to another lounger.

For anyone interested in seeking the books out themselves, here's the info on both:

For any aspiring tailors or Do-It-Yourselfer's who may want to make their own vintage-style men's suits...

======================================
BOOK TITLE: Tailoring Suits The Professional Way (geared towards men's suits)

AUTHOR: Clarence Poulin

LENGTH: 207 pages

DATE: 1953

PRICE COMPARISONS: RARE - Amazon: from $49 to $75; abebooks: from $68 to $195, ebay: No copies at the moment.

Instructions on tailoring vintage suits. Geared towards men's suits, but has a section for women's, w/ skirts. Scans:

eg0002a.jpg
eg0002b.jpg

eg0002c.jpg

eg0002d.jpg

eg0002e.jpg

eg0002f.jpg
eg0002g.jpg

eg0002h.jpg
eg0002i.jpg

========================================

Another item of interest: This one's still in print - also an excellent resource for classic style suit-making: "Classic Tailoring Techniques", 2002.

PRICE COMPARISON: Amazon: New, $50; Used lowest price $45; ebay lowest price $42.

FROM THE FIRST AMAZON CUSTOMER REVIEW THAT COMES UP: (average Amazon rating for this book, 4 out of 5 stars)

The best men's tailoring book I have ever seen., May 29, 2001
By A Customer

I have wanted to write a review of this book for months, but forced myself to finish a suit before writing. I made a sport coat and pants for my husband a couple years ago using an advanced Vogue Pattern and skills from a women's tailoring class and was not impressed with the results. I bought this book because I wanted to learn how to do men's tailoring the right way. Yesterday, I finished a suit, sport coat and pants following the directions of Classic Tailoring Techniques. All I can say now is, Wow! ... Classic Tailoring Techniques has been the best sewing book I have ever purchased. ...

Amazon link: (allows you to "look inside" book)
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Tailoring-Techniques-Construction-Collection/dp/0870054317/ref=sr_1_1

Hope all's well,
- C H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot