Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rare Pre War M-422 Jacket

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,

See my latest and grandfather of the USN G-1 jackets. Of special interest to USN jacket enthusiasts like my self.

The jacket seen below is an original size 40 and made by Switlik Parachute And Equipment Co. Arguably the most rare USN jacket that was ever made. According to my research at the National Archives in Washington D.C. this jacket is one of 247. All delivered in three separate shipments directly to the USN at N.A.S Pensacola. Those shipments were all made during the first quarter of 1941.

Before I researched this Switlik M-422 jacket it was not a truly credible USN mil spec contract. More often than not this same USN jacket maker is omitted from the list of known USN flight jacket makers.

Most notably, this jacket was stitch using 100% silk, the goat hide is vegetable tanned and the overall design is full of unique features.

SWITLIK M-422 HALF ZIPPED.jpg

Switlik M-422 Zipped Up.jpg

SWITLIK M-422 REVERSE.jpg

Collar And Label .jpg

SWITLIK OPENED.jpg

Switlik Half Opened.jpg

View attachment 247298

SWITLIK MAP POCKET.jpg

Switlik USN Stencil.jpg

This last image is a WW-2 era pic that I found & have IDed as a Swtilik M-422.

Close UP  VP-135 SWITLIK.jpg

Enjoy!

Cheers, Dave

Attachments

• Switlik Top Loading Pencil Pocket.jpg
    Switlik Top Loading Pencil Pocket.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 990
Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
374E9BA8-AF12-4FE6-89A3-597DC8E11A05.jpeg

That is an amazing find @Maverickson! The SWITLIK M-422 is certainly the rarest of the M-422 jackets.
Do you have any details on the b/w photo that you posted? What aircraft is in the background and what squadron it is, or when the photo was taken? Just curious. The jacket in the pic definitely looks like it’s probably a Switlik.

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Thor,

Yes, that jacket seen in that provided vintage pic is a dead ringer for my original Switlik M-422 jacket. It has the exact same unusual overall pocket shape and low pocket placement. You can even make out the fold created by the unique Switlik pencil pocket slot. That pencil slot's leather insert creates a tell tale crease because of it's extra bulk. Also noticeable in my provided period image.

Switlik Top Loading Pencil Pocket.jpg

Each of the three (W&G, Monarch & Switlik) M-422 makers had individualized pocket configurations. Moreover, no other WW-2 jacket maker but the Switlik had that same low placement. All leading me to believe that the jacket seen worn in that image has to be a Switlik.

In addition, the collar is also obviously larger size. By all indications, with the combination of the over sized larger collar being a M-422 specification and pocket configuration pretty much eliminates the possibility of that jacket seen in the vintage image of being anything other than a Switlik.

When I found that WW-2 image the caption read VPB-135. That pic is seen below. The patch seen on their jackets looks to be the VB-135 BLIND FOXES https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP-5#/media/File:Vp135_01_09apr2002.jpg. With that particular version of their squadron patch was used from 1943 until 1945 or the end of the war.

That A/C looks to be a PV-1 VENTURA. Which checks out with the few visible A/C details, squadron patch & number of crewman. The VB-135 squadron history shows that that this particular squadron was newly commissioned & received that particular PV-1 A/C in early 1943 while at NAS Widbey Island. Thereafter much of late 1943 through 1945 was spent in Adak Alaska.

Marston mat (temporary perforated metal decking) is visible in that attachment. Telling me that this pic was probably not taken at NAS Widbey Island but in fact Adak.

Cheers, Dave

Attachments

• WW--2 VP-135 Crew.jpg
    WW--2 VP-135 Crew.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 901
Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Wow! You knocked it out of the park on that one. I'm still drooling over it, and I imagine @thor is as well.

I, too, would like to know how you found it.

Congratulations.

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,

This Switlik M-422 jacket was offered directly to me by another collector. Moreover, because he knew that I would take the time to restore the jacket and do it right. Which as you see, I did.

When I initially received this same jacket was a basket case. In doing, I completely dissembled the jacket into it's individual panels and restitched it in it's entirety. All previous repairs were corrected and then done as per original. Nothing was left undone.

To include researching it at the National Archives in Washington D.C. Which I did because previous to my findings and due to it's rarity most did not recognize Switlik Parachute and Equipment Co. as a credible USN flight jacket maker.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi All,

This Switlik M-422 jacket was offered directly to me by another collector. Moreover, because he knew that I would take the time to restore the jacket and do it right. Which as you see, I did.

When I initially received this same jacket was a basket case. In doing, I completely dissembled the jacket into it's individual panels and restitched it in it's entirety. All previous repairs were corrected and then done as per original. Nothing was left undone.

To include researching it at the National Archives in Washington D.C. Which I did because previous to my findings and due to it's rarity most did not recognize Switlik Parachute and Equipment Co. as a credible USN flight jacket maker.

Cheers, Dave
Sir, you are a cornerstone to the vintage jacket collection and preservation

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,

Figure the odds! I have now proved beyond any doubt that the jacket seen in that VB-125 group pic was in fact a Switlik Parachute and Equipment Co M-422.

SWITLIK M-422.jpg

Albeit since the photo was taken (Adak or Attu between 1943 and 1945) the owner added the squadron patch and Winged ID patch. Unfortunately, the winged ID patch was subsequently removed by a family member. Note that the squadron patch is the exact same as seen attached on all the squadron members flight jackets with the group photo.

That VB-135 group pix was found by me some 5 years ago. Kept because this same jacket intrigued me. The entire time believing that this jacket may have in fact been one of those illusive Switilk M-422 jackets.

Switlik Size 38.jpg

Given how few Switlik M-422 jackets (247) were issued just prior to WW-2 & how many USN flight jackets were issued during WW-2, it is an absolute miracle I found that vary same jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Thought to add the pair of my Switlik Parachute and Equipment Co. M-422 jackets.

Switlik Pair .jpg

As seen after adding the thought to have been missing button. Which was found in the front left pocket along with four syringes of morphine, two books of USN issue match books and a pencil. I left the pencil in the pocket.

It was told to me by the jacket owner's family that the original USN ID tag was removed from the jacket, added to the casket and buried along with him.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,

My same original size 38 Switlik M-422 jacket. As seen worn some where in the Aleutian Islands in 1944.

My Switlik M-422 Worn.jpg

Note the bulge that left pocket. Maybe even carrying some of the same contents as received. These VB-135 squadron members did plenty of combat.

As compared to the pic I found all prior to receiving this same jacket & as seen below.

SWITLIK M-422.jpg

Obviously, taken soon after joining the squadron.

Cheers, Dave

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,
Today is my size 38 Switlik Parachute And Equipment M-422 jacket's. 80th birthday. Having been issued to the original owner (as seen in many of the previously posted period pix) on July 2, 1941. No doubt one of the 247 jackets, I found to have been delivered with my National Archives research, to NAS Pensacola. All done in 3 separate orders during the first quarter of 1941.
Switlik Size 38.jpg

As seen with the original invoice dated July 2, 1941.
P. E. P_edited-1.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB