Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate My Look

Dagwood

Practically Family
StanleyVanBuren said:
"As much as I'd like to do the pocket square, the problem is sticking out too much, which I may already be doing. If I ran the place, believe you me it would be a different story."

I think you make an excellent point. It is one thing to go out on the town and become the gentleman dandy that is StanleyVanBuren. It is quite another to fit into a corporate culture (like law) where conformity is inherent and advancement is dependent on same. One must ask themsevles, then, whether "sticking out" is seen by the partners as conveying confidence or eccentricity. If they see confidence, you will have an advantage over the other associates in your law firm. However, if you're seen as an oddity, you must, alas, conform in order to advance your career. Of course, when the pocket square is finally added, we will know you have made it!!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
tweeds, nubby wool suitings, corduroys, matt/crumpled/papery fabrics. i think you could use a touch roughening up. too much sheeny fabric can make a slight guy (as i am too) look slippery.

Marty M.

Vendor
Collar Issues.

Stanley, Marc Chevalier comment about your higher collar height is spot on (as his comments always are). An off the rack shirt collar will typically measure at 1 3/4" back collar band height. And 1" front band height. Check out shirts that have a 2 or possible a 2 1/4" back band with a 1 1/4" front band height. Some of the English and Italian manufactures make shirts with collar bands with those measurements. You can also have shirts made for you with a higher collar. I do like that you're wearing a spread collar. That's a great collar style for you.
Marty

StanleyVanBuren

Yes, I may grab a few of these once I can afford to:

http://hawesandcurtis.com/detail_page.asp?pid=MS-ST2705

I say a few because H&C are always doing deals on purchases of 3. Thus, it only makes sense to buy at least 3 at a time. Currency conversion and international shipping are murder, though.

What do you think of the collar stance on those? Looks about right to me...

If I really wanted to go nuts, I could get one of these:

http://hawesandcurtis.com/detail_page.asp?pid=MS-YO2662

...but then I'd lose the french/double cuff, and that'd be a damn shame.

Jovan

Suspended
Doesn't Jantzen take forever to ship out an order, or just ignores it outright? :(

Re: the v-neck sweater, you should let your collar go out of the sweater unless it has button down points. Agreed about the collar height. 2 1/4" looks like it'll suit you well. I need a taller collar, myself.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jovan said:
Doesn't Jantzen take forever to ship out an order, or just ignores it outright? :(
Jantzen proponents would say that the possibility of a long wait is outweighed by the $40 price. While I don't recall any ignored orders it's been said that a phone call can do wonders to confirm and expedite an order.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
StanleyVanBuren said:
And finally, a tie clasp is definitely on my list. You'll get pics once I've got one. But I certainly do know that I need one.

Check your local antique store. Mine had them all in a coffee tin marked "$5 ea." Most were pretty gaudy, but I found a nice plain gold-colored one and a set of matching cufflinks for an additional $2.50.

StanleyVanBuren

High-stance double-button collar

So I'm not so sure about those asian shirts but there sure is some wild stuff going on there with the buttons & the patterns & whatnot.

Basically where I'm at now is, I'm looking for shirts with a higher collar stance. Obviously Hawes & Curtis have them, as I've posted above. I've also seen some done with a higher collar stance & double collar button from Banana Republic (my white/blue check shirt from the first photo is BR circa 2004).

Does anyone else know of any other shirtmakers that do this style, other than those that do it only as a MTM option?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jovan said:
I recommend Baron Boutique for custom shirts
Yikes. :eek:

royal_oxford.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Why yikes? I've had good experience with them. The pictures aren't at all representative of their real product, just suggestions of style (except for a couple of shirts and suits). Furthermore, the fit in "comfortable" is outstanding, to say the least. Not at all blousey like that.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jovan said:
The pictures aren't at all representative of their real product, Not at all blousey like that.
I'm sure, but then why post such a photo on their website? [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jovan said:
the shirt I got was pretty nicely fitted.
I would hope so, but seriously, how does such a photo end up on a Custom shirtmaker's web page?:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21