Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate My Look

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
4_13_07__1.jpg

4_13_07__2.jpg

Your hair looks so much better flat--puts the focus on your face and your eyes really jump out (in a good way!).

I like the sweater and shirt but I'd wear a different pair of pants--these seem too formal. Maybe brown or dark tan? I can't see your shoes well enough to comment.

I disagree. I think the pants with the sweater are an unusual pairing as the pants are notthe expected color and are a little formal for a casual look, but it works. In fact, the unexpected nature of it makes it all the better when it works out.

StanleyVanBuren

So apparently most of my ties will be too long (as in, will reach far below the beltline) if tied in a 4IH anyway, so I'm not going to bother.

Regardless, I firmly believe the Windsor knot to be superior; it is more balanced, more formal looking, and in my opinion, more correct proportionally. I firmly believe in the full-spread collar for almost exactly the same reasons. The windsor knot is proportional to the tie in that it balances out the fact that the tie gets thinner near the top; it doesn't make the tie just disappear the closer it gets to the neck. The spread collar's points generally meet directly with seam of the lapels of a suit, which I also find aesthetically pleasing. Moreover, I think the spread collar suits my face and my overall look better than a point or button-down collar ever could. I will still wear these other styles sometimes, but they will always remain the exception.

I really do honestly appreciate all the feedback, and as you've seen, I have taken plenty of the advice (higher collars, different combos to try, better shoes, etc), but I think the spread collar & windsor knot is one place where I'm going to have to stubbornly stand my ground and refuse to give in to the tyranny of the majority. Sorry fellas, but that's the way that one's going to be.

Miss Kitty

New in Town
I think I like the last look with the pullover the best. When I was in Paris in March, a man wore a black pullover, black pants, and a violet shirt with tie under the cardigan, it looked real nice and made quite an impression on me. I haven't read all the posts so I'm sorry if I'm repeating what the others have said, but the purple tie doesn't suit you. It is a bit too feminine and shiny, the knot overpowers you. A small pattern or diagonal stripe in complimentary colors may do...grey and pink are nice combination (if you like pink) and a yellow may look spiffy...

StanleyVanBuren

Someone had mentioned trying the lavender tie with a different shirt awhile back... I forget exactly what was said and I'm too tired to re-read the whole thread, but I did some experimenting and anyway....

So here is the lavender tie again, but this time tied in a Windsor knot, rather than my usual half-Windsor. I've given up on 4IH because that length just never comes out right for me no matter which tie of mine I use. If I want wide, I'll do the half; if I don't, I think this knot works great.

I'm wearing a RL green/white shirt with a button-down collar and my linen suit:

6_7_07.jpg

Or, with something a little more casual:
6_7_07__2.jpg

And to get really really creative, there is always this possibility:

6_7_07__3.jpg

And in any event, as you can probably tell from my recent postings, I have taken your suggestions regarding my hairstyle. This is the style you can expect from me from now on. I will have to go in for a trim soon to get it cleaned up but you get the idea.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
That bottom look is a classic spring/summer weekend look! The longer knot works much better for your face, as does the longer collar. Very Fred Astaire. :eusa_clap
The two patterns work very well- all the patterns are subdued themselves and create a very balanced complete image. A white linen handkerchief would pick up the white stripes and would be the ultimate finishing touch to your look (other than maybe a linen cap or a panama)! What a transformation from your earlier stuff! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk