Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-enacting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Root

Gone Home
In one of the threads there has been some that are confused to the reason why some of us enjoy marching, wearing old or repro uniforms, getting up early, loading guns with blanks, running around hills and getting dirty and just plain horsing around in the name of History. Well, as a casual re-enactor my self, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll tell you that it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s really fun!

Re-enacting or Living History battles span from Roman times to Vietnam. I do WWII impression when time and money allows. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not cheap, it costs money to buy all your own gear and the things you need to do a proper period impression.

The feeling of marching with pounds of gear on, shooting at opponents that may not fall because they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re not aware you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re shooting at them (it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s the honor system) and just getting dirty and tired, why do it? We do it because we are so amazed at what our parents or grandparents endured that we want to put our self in their shoes to understand a little more what they had to go through. Watching movies and documentaries on the History Channel is one things and almost a sure way to take a nice long nap but, putting your self in the time period, not having anything modern around you, seeing real live Sherman tanks and US halftracks going around, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s really something! The enemy forces who re-enact also have some cool toys in the CHG. They take this seriously! They spend lots of time and money on it and they enjoy it.

Like to see all the current re-enactors or living historians chime in here.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, I recall that very well. No one wanted to be left out of the action.;)

However, these are guys from the ages of 16-45 and we die when we see a muzzle flash in our general direction. They have REAL WWII tanks, and vehicles. It's very expensive but, worth it in every way.

=WR=

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm an aviation enthusiast first, military history buff, collector and a reenactor, in that order. My passion is flight and aircraft, combined with history. Naturally, that leads into warbirds. I began collecting when I got my first job...I had no idea what I was doing at the time, and wish I'd had the information then that I do now! I would have spent far less on cars, gas, computers and the like and far more on my collection. It's still small by most standards, but it's sufficient to outfit a couple of people in various forms of attire, ranging from combat flight gear to Class A USAAF dress. Naturally, I'd want to buy items that fit me, just for the fun of trying them on...for the longest time, I avoided the 'reenactor' moniker because I didn't 'reenact' per se. I can't avoid that now. After a season on the History Channel in various roles, several of which I provided my own wardrobe and one episode for which I provided 90% of the wardrobe, I am definitely a reenactor.

I've been to the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's WWII Weekend in Reading, PA and have seen things I'd never have dreamed of as a kid. It's a time warp. No museum can allow you to smell the exhaust from a 'putt-putt' generator, the distinct smell of canvas in a field briefing room as newsreels and gun camera footage rolls. Nothing at any museum I can think of will put in front of you a working Spitfire and Hurricane with a full compliment of ground crew and pilots standing ready for scramble, complete with a Red Cross van serving coffee and donuts. I personally spent half a day huddled under the nose of a P-51 mustang, dressed in full flight gear, talking to veterans, families and tourists who had never seen USAAF flight gear...and got to view it right in front of them, there to touch, see how it was worn, how it moved, hear the clink of the parachute buckles as they were worked, a few kids I even let try on my A-11 helmet and pull the AN-6530 goggles down over their eyes.

You can't get these sort of experiences from on object perfectly preserved under glass. People will only obtain a limited understanding of what life was like at the time from a controlled environment such as a museum or a film on a screen. As time passes, we will become as a society further detached from the WWII generation, until they are gone. I am preserving the legacy handed down to me by two grandfathers, a great uncle and a great-great uncle. Left alone, what they endured and sacrificed will become as distant and detached as WWI, which has in the past 30 years become a footnote in our history books.

Bebop

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
In one of the threads there has been some that are confused to the reason why some of us enjoy marching, wearing old or repro uniforms, getting up early, loading guns with blanks, running around hills and getting dirty and just plain horsing around in the name of History. Well, as a casual re-enactor my self, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll tell you that it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s really fun!

Re-enacting or Living History battles span from Roman times to Vietnam. I do WWII impression when time and money allows. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not cheap, it costs money to buy all your own gear and the things you need to do a proper period impression.

The feeling of marching with pounds of gear on, shooting at opponents that may not fall because they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re not aware you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re shooting at them (it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s the honor system) and just getting dirty and tired, why do it? We do it because we are so amazed at what our parents or grandparents endured that we want to put our self in their shoes to understand a little more what they had to go through. Watching movies and documentaries on the History Channel is one things and almost a sure way to take a nice long nap but, putting your self in the time period, not having anything modern around you, seeing real live Sherman tanks and US halftracks going around, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s really something! The enemy forces who re-enact also have some cool toys in the CHG. They take this seriously! They spend lots of time and money on it and they enjoy it.

Like to see all the current re-enactors or living historians chime in here.

=WR=
First let me say that I don't mean to offend anyone for enjoying their hobbies. I don't think there is any harm in reenacting war.... but why reenact war? Do you guys scream and cry and try to imagine what it feels like to watch your buddy get his head blown off? Do you try to become as scared as someone in war may be? That is what I think about when I even contemplate reenacting what war in any period would be like. Is it possible to forget or put aside the real horrors of war when reenacting? I don't think it would be for me. I think we should reenact vintage bar scenes and weddings. War is a pretty horrible thing to want to relive. If I am not mistaken, I think that it is pretty close to children playing "cops and robbers" or something like that. Or am I wrong?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Bebop said:
First let me say that I don't mean to offend anyone for enjoying their hobbies. I don't think there is any harm in reenacting war.... but why reenact war? Do you guys scream and cry and try to imagine what it feels like to watch your buddy get his head blown off? Do you try to become as scared as someone in war may be? That is what I think about when I even contemplate reenacting what war in any period would be like. Is it possible to forget or put aside the real horrors of war when reenacting? I don't think it would be for me. I think we should reenact vintage bar scenes and weddings. War is a pretty horrible thing to want to relive. If I am not mistaken, I think that it is pretty close to children playing "cops and robbers" or something like that. Or am I wrong?

IMHO, I think youre wrong Bebop. When you read about the noble undertakings of men AND women in war it is often something very far from our lives. Reenacting can take quite a lot of effort. So it often boggles th mind to understand what really happened to not only th Medal of Honor winners, but the common grunts. Sure there can be those who just want to show off their toys in an immature fashion, but for most who've I have encountered, its a real bit of historical education.
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

I'll have to dig up the title, but there was a woman a few years ago who did her sociology thesis on re-enacting. SHe had soem interesting insights onteh subculture. PBS has done some nice documentaries on it as well

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
re-enacting book

http://www.jennythompson.org/

"Why do thousands of Americans spend their leisure time waging mock combat? How does America's long history of warfare impact its citizens? What does it mean to reenact war "authentically"? War Games explores these and many other questions as it takes readers into the heart of an American subculture whose thousands of members dress as GIs, Nazis, and the grunts of Vietnam and fight with each other over the many meanings of American wars."

Bebop

Practically Family
MrBern said:
IMHO, I think youre wrong Bebop. When you read about the noble undertakings of men AND women in war it is often something very far from our lives. Reenacting can take quite a lot of effort. So it often boggles th mind to understand what really happened to not only th Medal of Honor winners, but the common grunts. Sure there can be those who just want to show off their toys in an immature fashion, but for most who've I have encountered, its a real bit of historical education.
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

I'll have to dig up the title, but there was a woman a few years ago who did her sociology thesis on re-enacting. SHe had soem interesting insights onteh subculture. PBS has done some nice documentaries on it as well
Some people don't have to read about the horrors of war. They can tell you first hand. If you believe that reenacting is part of "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" then would you think that reenacting Jewish concentration camps and Nazi soldiering would be right? I think you could learn from the Jews themselves without having to reenact. I would say it's the same with war reenacting. I dare say that some see war as noble and heroic and that is why they like to reenact. Human behavior.

I think i said this in the other thread. I don't see the fascination in reenacting either. But if people have fun doing it, i can't see anything really problematic or offensive about it. They're not hurting anyone.

Others (maybe some of the reenactors) would think iy stupid of me to chase a ball around a field playing soccer all afetrnoon (i wear a vintage soccer shirt!!). I don't recall the latin, but "each to his own"

bk

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Like it or not, war is seemingly an inherent part of human behavior, society and history. And it is a fascinating subject, which in part explains the appeal of reenacting. Reenacting is little different than watching hyper-realistic war movies, and in fact may be somewhat less disturbing as the graphic images seen in war movies are never seen while reenacting.

But both war movies and reenacting both exist to satisfy our human desires and interests about war in a way which is safe and non-violant.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Bebop said:
Some people don't have to read about the horrors of war. They can tell you first hand. If you believe that reenacting is part of "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" then would you think that reenacting Jewish concentration camps and Nazi soldiering would be right? I think you could learn from the Jews themselves without having to reenact. I would say it's the same with war reenacting. I dare say that some see war as noble and heroic and that is why they like to reenact. Human behavior.

Actually I have no interest in collecting or reenacting fascism. But at every reenactmnt, we meet people who prefer to spend the event depicting Axis forces.
I've been to Auschwitz a few years ago.
I've met survivors. As well as American Jews who entered WWII to stop fascism.
Interesting & educational
Reenacting is interesting & educational. One can learn a lot reenacting & reading & talking to survivors.

You can drink wine & become a connoisseur, not a wino.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
My father was on Omaha Beach on D-Day and there were tons of heroics but many that saw the horror would never want to relive it. My father would barely talk about let alone re-enact it. Most that have been in the real stuff don't want to go play it. Nothing fun about watching your best friends arm go floating by in the bloody surf. Just my thoughts. I'm proud that I served honorably but 4 years active duty was plenty for me and I wouldn't want to dress up and play war now. To each their own just my thoughts.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Perhaps those who are offended by re-enacting would find the whole shebang more palatable if they were less concerned about the mentality or motivations of the individual re-enactors, and accept the events more as a live performance piece or extreme historical play (which is essentially what it is).

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Bebop said:

You can stay at home and jump on your X-Box and play Medal of Honor, you can stay at home and play Axis and Allies, you can stay at home and watch the history channel 'til your eyes go blood shot... I think I'd rather feel like I'm in the middle of the action while I'm young and can be in the middle of the action. My life may not be in danger, though that's the way I preffer my wars.

Better to reenact the war than to be in the actual war.

Better to have a real wedding than to have a reenacted wedding.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Re-enactment weddings are going to be the hottest thing this year. Re-enact your Great Grandmother's weeding girls! It's just a re-enactment, so, there's no strings attached! Wooo Hooo! Can't wait to re-enact Grandma and Grandpa's wedding night! Oh the joy!

=WR=

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
I think I'd rather feel like I'm in the middle of the action while I'm young and can be in the middle of the action. My life may not be in danger, though that's the way I preffer my wars.

Better to reenact the war than to be in the actual war.

I think that sums up why re-enactors will never really feel like they are at war, and why some of us have a problem with it. It sanitizes war. It does not give you an accurate portrayal of what it was like. You can go home at the end of the day. You know you are never in danger. You know that if your friend gets killed it's just make believe.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
MudInYerEye said:
Perhaps those who are offended by re-enacting would find the whole shebang more palatable if they were less concerned about the mentality or motivations of the individual re-enactors, and accept the events more as a live performance piece or extreme historical play (which is essentially what it is).

Mud- I agree that it has educational value when it is done as a performance piece to educate others. I personally disagree when the re-enactors feel that they are really getting in touch with what it was like to be at war.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
It really doesn't offend me more than I just don't get it. I mean if you want a REAL life go live it and be a real hero and maybe some day someone will re-enact your heroics. Recruitment is down right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR