Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy's London

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The price of the J-100 isn't THAT bad at 1000 EUR. That's about $1250 USD. Their A-2 runs at about $1560 USD.

??? SD does not charge 1,000 Euro for the RMC Buco J-100 (and I have never seen the jacket at this price anywhere). Rather, SD charges 1,200 POUNDs ( http://www.superdenim.com/prodpage.asp?productid=3495 ), which translates to approximately $1,915 USD. Likewise, SD charges $1,495 POUNDs for the RMC A2, which translates to $2,386 USD.

$800.00 for a M65 field jacket.

SD's prices are steep. The same RMC M65 jacket can be purchased directly from RMC in Japan for 60,000 yen ( http://www.therealmccoys.nagoya/?pid=1291865 ), which translates to $520 USD (considerably less than SD's $800 price). Likewise, the RMC Buco J-100 can be purchased directly from RMC for 160,000 yen ( http://www.therealmccoys.nagoya/?pid=1291352 ), which translates to $1,386 USD (again, considerably less than SD's $1,915 price). Likewise, the RMC A2 can be purchased directly from RMC for 180,000 yen ( http://www.therealmccoys.nagoya/?pid=1321424 ), which translates to $1,563 USD (again, considerably less than SD's $2,386 price). The current USD/Yen conversion rate is very favorable!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm a royal idiot. This entire time I've always mistakingly assumed everything was in Euros without thinking. BIG whoops...mostly for not even noticing the pound symbol right in front of me (which I then had to look up to make sure it was in fact the symbol of a pound) :( lol

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I'm a royal idiot. This entire time I've always mistakingly assumed everything was in Euros without thinking. BIG whoops...mostly for not even noticing the pound symbol right in front of me (which I then had to look up to make sure it was in fact the symbol of a pound) :( lol

Nevermind old bean. Perhaps you can give yourself a hug? lol

Edward

Bartender
Jinkies. I remember when I could have bought perfect, real m65s all day long for a tenner a pop in the local army surplus shop... If I had a dozen of those now I could be hanging out the front of that store... "Psst.. wanna buy the real deal for half their price?"

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yep, back in the day we used to raid the Army Navy store down in Leith to pick up this sort of stuff for a song.

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I really want to bring all my M65s and sell them just outside the store...
TBH, I can understand the A2 for more than 1000 GBP, but 500 for a M65?? WTH...

The same for most of their nylon jackets. It is actually having a bad influence on the prices of used jackets (real deals), as you will notice that a lot of sellers are attaching Japanese repro company names on their ads to draw attentions and mark up the their prices. It is too common to see something like "MA-1 Jacket, made by Alpha industries, similar to Buzz Rickson Real McCoy's" on ebay all the time. Sad....

Edward

Bartender
I always report those. No idea whether eBay pays a blind bit of notice (I doubt it), but it is against eBay rules to use a brand name that doesn't pertain to the item - "like Buzz Ricksons", "not RMNZ, Aero, Eastman" or however they phrase it. Click on the "Report Item" link, then listings practices -> search and browse manipulation -> misusing a brand name. I see it a lot with any old leather jacket having the "Aero" name added to the title.

I can understand the prices of nylon repros being a little higher because the "real thing" in many cases you just never see, and when you do it's either in really bad shape or seriously expensive (or both), and tiny... - I'm talking here about anything 1959 and earlier, especially. M65s, though.... madness.

Blackadder

I always report those. No idea whether eBay pays a blind bit of notice (I doubt it), but it is against eBay rules to use a brand name that doesn't pertain to the item - "like Buzz Ricksons", "not RMNZ, Aero, Eastman" or however they phrase it. Click on the "Report Item" link, then listings practices -> search and browse manipulation -> misusing a brand name. I see it a lot with any old leather jacket having the "Aero" name added to the title.

I can understand the prices of nylon repros being a little higher because the "real thing" in many cases you just never see, and when you do it's either in really bad shape or seriously expensive (or both), and tiny... - I'm talking here about anything 1959 and earlier, especially. M65s, though.... madness.

I completely agree. I own a few RM and Buzz repro items (purchased directly from Japan so much cheaper) but would never think of buying a M65 repros from them. Even the Buzz M65 costs GBP295 and it does not even come with the removable lining.

Edward

Bartender
I completely agree. I own a few RM and Buzz repro items (purchased directly from Japan so much cheaper) but would never think of buying a M65 repros from them. Even the Buzz M65 costs GBP295 and it does not even come with the removable lining.

Crazy money. It's hard to see it in a jacket as basic and cheap as an M65. The Alpha version is as good as they get really.... onyl so great you can do with that simplicity of design and cut. I believe Silvermans - themselves far from cheap when comparing elsewhere - only charge about GBP120 for the Alpha (not sure if that includes the lining). The 'real thing' goes for much less.

Blackadder

There are a couple of items that I'd much prefer to buy the original, 1) M-65 and 2) Navy Peacoat.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, if I stumble across a surplus place selling cheap M65s, I'll be buying one. The attraction of an original there is the price, of course, rather than it being "real" - I'm only going to add the Bickle badges anyhow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic