Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy's USA web store open

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Also don't really get why people laugh about RMC having tiny sizing... sure if you are 6'5" 400 pounds it probably won't fit you, but I'm 5'9" 175 pounds and wear a size 38, and they go up to 46... plenty big for off the rack clothing.

I disagree, and think you're pushing your luck with the body fascist attitude, even if you are 'only joking'.
Original flight jackets went up to a size 48, and that's big enough for me (although I prefer a 50) and many other members (including members who really were fighter pilots).
So Japanese companies deciding only to make products up to size 46 seems willfully dumb as a business strategy for the US market, to me.

Benj

One of the Regulars
I'm not saying everyone will fit it, but as others have said, rmc is a Japanese company that doesn't seem to be too concerned with global expansion, so it's made for the Japanese market... Even though when I was there they didn't seem smaller at all than here in California...

Still think RMC will fit about 90% of people with an average body type.

Check out flat head if you think RMC is tiny...

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You've just got your buco recently right? I know a guy on another forum who has worn his regularly for a few years, it still essentially looks brand new. The fact that the tea core is extremely difficult to make come out (naturally at least) is one of the main reasons why I went for that jacket rather than a Himel, on top of the RMC being about a grand cheaper if you know where to shop. You're sure it fades easily in no time?

I love my buco j-100 but no one is perfect, each jacket is different and there are varying levels of precision as you'd expect for the product. No matter the brand, everyone should go over the jacket and avoid simply chalking up imperfections, unevenness, or inconsistencies as just "character."

Also don't really get why people laugh about RMC having tiny sizing... sure if you are 6'5" 400 pounds it probably won't fit you, but I'm 5'9" 175 pounds and wear a size 38, and they go up to 46... plenty big for off the rack clothing.

I have both the J-100 and the J-24 both of which I bought last summer. A few of my friends own various RM Buco from J-22, padded J-100, the J-100 Cycle Psycho to Lucifer J-24. None of them bought the black on black though. I have handled quite a few Buco leather jackets bought in the past few years, so I think I can tell you with some certainties that the top coat of black does come off quickly. I just added some black shoe cream on the belt loop of my J-24 where the black paint came off. I have worn that less than 10 times.
Mind you I am not saying the whole jacket will turn brown after a few years. As intended by RM, the jacket will appear black with shades of brown like a vintage jacket to other people but you can see tiny patches of black paint coming off (except the black on black, brown or blue) if you look closely.

Last edited:

Benj

One of the Regulars
Gotcha. From my brief ownership it almost seems like most of the teacore comes through when the jacket is new and has been handled during production, and in the first few weeks from random wear and high abrasion spots... The flaking you're talking about is really small right?

Would appreciate some pics if you could add them... For instance I've seen a Himel that was seriously jacked after about 10 months, it looked 20 years old and had HUGE spots of brown showing near the armpits etc

Blackadder

I disagree, and think you're pushing your luck with the body fascist attitude, even if you are 'only joking'.
Original flight jackets went up to a size 48, and that's big enough for me (although I prefer a 50) and many other members (including members who really were fighter pilots).
So Japanese companies deciding only to make products up to size 46 seems willfully dumb as a business strategy for the US market, to me.

I thought that's meant as a retort to your "rich small guy" comment. LOL.

Blackadder

Yeah... Google hipsters with more money than muscles... That's their clientele, certainly not me. As for "former first world country"... well the jury's still out on that one...

Worf

Well, there are plenty more RM outlets in a first world country in Asia that sell those at a much cheaper price.

Gav

Practically Family
Well I am 6' 2" and 220lb and I wear rmc denim, tees,sweats, wabash chore coat, an n1 deck coat(not even the largest size)...
I have spent much time trawling japanese repro brands in Japanese stores and rmc is one of the few to make and stock a good range of larger sizes.
A lot don't even bother with a japanese LL (xl).

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Well I am 6' 2" and 220lb and I wear rmc denim, tees,sweats, wabash chore coat, an n1 deck coat(not even the largest size)...
I have spent much time trawling japanese repro brands in Japanese stores and rmc is one of the few to make and stock a good range of larger sizes.
A lot don't even bother with a japanese LL (xl).

I've never seen a Japanese 48.
Looking at the RMC 'Book 2014' I have right here, they don't make any jackets larger than size 46, some only to size 44 and a few to size 42 only.

I personally wouldn't consider that 'a good range of larger sizes'. I'd consider it a good range of smaller sizes, with some medium sizes available. 48 was an original flight jacket size 80 years ago, so all this implication that I (and those like me) are grossly large, overweight, unhealthy modern American lifestyle stereotypes is delusional. Wearing a size 48 is not (nor was it in the golden era) unusually gigantic.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I've never seen a Japanese 48.
Looking at the RMC 'Book 2014' I have right here, they don't make any jackets larger than size 46, some only to size 44 and a few to size 42 only.

I personally wouldn't consider that 'a good range of larger sizes'. I'd consider it a good range of smaller sizes, with some medium sizes available. 48 was an original flight jacket size 80 years ago, so all this implication that I (and those like me) are grossly large, overweight, unhealthy modern American lifestyle stereotypes is delusional. Wearing a size 48 is not (nor was it in the golden era) unusually gigantic.

N.B. I know I sound really tetchy, but I just quit smoking.

Gav

Practically Family
Haha maybe you are comfort eating?

I get your point. I think the thing with rmc and indeed most japanese brands is that they are domestic brands where a 48 is gigantic. The overseas interest until recent years was limited so why would they make such big sizes?
The rmc Nyc and london stores are in their infancy and I think as demand increases, we will see larger sizes become available. We have already seen this with iron heart making bigger sizes since their uk site gained popularity and they have a uk team. Also some of the brands stocked at self edge make size runs specific for that store I think.

In all honesty, at size 48 you would probably be excluded from lots of uk brands too.

Somewhere on the Internet there is probably a small japanese guy bemoaning a U.S. brand saying they don't make clothes all enough for a 34 inch chest.... Why are they all made for huge bear chested ogres....

pawineguy

One Too Many
You've just got your buco recently right? I know a guy on another forum who has worn his regularly for a few years, it still essentially looks brand new. The fact that the tea core is extremely difficult to make come out (naturally at least) is one of the main reasons why I went for that jacket rather than a Himel, on top of the RMC being about a grand cheaper if you know where to shop. You're sure it fades easily in no time?

I love my buco j-100 but no one is perfect, each jacket is different and there are varying levels of precision as you'd expect for the product. No matter the brand, everyone should go over the jacket and avoid simply chalking up imperfections, unevenness, or inconsistencies as just "character."

I'm 6'2", 180 pounds, and the only reason I never took the plunge is that they don't make a single jacket that fits me. In the jackets where they do have a large enough chest, the sleeves are 1" too short. Their 46 in a J-24 is listed as a 45" chest. (I believe that's historically accurate, it just wouldn't work for me.)

You have to ignore that they have up to size 46 and look at the dimensions, which for many of their jackets equates to a slim fit 42 as their largest size.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Congrats on quitting BigJ.

Btw, sorry if you took my 400 ponud comment directed at you, that was meant to be an exaggeration to show that people of a certain size will have a hard time finding clothing anywhere imo, especially anything made in Japan.

Gav is exactly what I'm talking too... A pretty big dude who easily fits into the clothing. Glad he chimed in since I fit into all Japanese clothing perfectly and my reading of measurements tables could be far from reality...

Pawineguy they won't fit everyone even people my height that's for sure. It's all if you have a particular body type. That's where the benefit of good wear and Himel come in...

But re:sleeves, imo a LOT of people here like their sleeves way too long, hanging a few inches past their wrists. That personally drives me crazy, so I'm very happy that my buco stops there.. For some reason on most people the sleeves are somewhat long.

QZBtjdah.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
It's ok guys, I'm just having violent mood swings lol

Thanks Benj, Gav!

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Congrats on quitting BigJ.

Btw, sorry if you took my 400 ponud comment directed at you, that was meant to be an exaggeration to show that people of a certain size will have a hard time finding clothing anywhere imo, especially anything made in Japan.

Gav is exactly what I'm talking too... A pretty big dude who easily fits into the clothing. Glad he chimed in since I fit into all Japanese clothing perfectly and my reading of measurements tables could be far from reality...

Pawineguy they won't fit everyone even people my height that's for sure. It's all if you have a particular body type. That's where the benefit of good wear and Himel come in...

But re:sleeves, imo a LOT of people here like their sleeves way too long, hanging a few inches past their wrists. That personally drives me crazy, so I'm very happy that my buco stops there.. For some reason on most people the sleeves are somewhat long.

Well, for a specific example, on a Buco J-100 I would order a 44 most likely. That has a 25.75" sleeve. The jacket below has similar dimensions but a 26.75" sleeve. You can see where the Buco would hit my arms.

IMG_0199.JPG

It's not a criticism, it's an observation. When you sell OTR you have to make the jackets to fit as many customers as possible so you're going to exclude some people. My only point is that you don't have to be huge to not fit into these jackets. I'm thin, not abnormally tall, but sleeve length is still an issue, as is chest size on the Buco double riders.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Monitor said:
$8,000 to look like a 50's car mechanic...
Exactly right. I don't see the appeal at all. Thanks for the breath of fresh air.

Speaking generally, there's no upper limit on price. Better to spend the thousands of dollars instead on an auto repair training scheme and get a job fixing cars. Then after spending 8 hours 5 days a week in an unheated, un-air-conditioned garage under someone's car, skinning your knuckles, ruining your knees, breathing in solvents and chemicals, and chasing deadbeat customers then you can buy the gear and look the part. Otherwise dress like what you are: an office worker who sends emails all day. Earn your bona fides; don't buy them. Otherwise it's just a Halloween costume (and in the case of "Real" McCoy's, overpriced costume).

Benj

One of the Regulars
I never got the costume bit. If what I wear was worn by blue-coat workers I don't particularly care, and I don't see that "dressing up."

When I buy the clothes I do it's because I like the look of them, they are (imo) the highest quality that's made in the world, and they age better with time. That's it, if you consider leather jackets, tees, and jeans trying to dress up like a mechanic, then sure I'd have to agree with you. But my primary focus is dressing like myself, and I'm not pretending to be a mechanic or naval officer or whatever, I just like how it looks and ages.

On the other hand, they make a LOT of stuff that isn't my style and that does seem like dressing up. I just don't buy that stuff.

Pawineguy, that jackets a good fit. Will say the size 38 buco I have has 25" sleeves though, I'm guessing the 44 has much longer than 25.75" but I couldn't tell you how it's scaled. And personally I'd be fine if I were you with inch shorter sleeves, but that just depends on your preferences, or how willing you are to compromise on your preferred fit for an awesome jacket...

avsmusic1

Familiar Face
I'm not sure I agree with the "costume" point either. I don't think every office worker needs to walk around looking like they stepped out of a Brooks Brothers ad, and I don't judge a mechanic who wears Polo clothing when not at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21