Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real small hat size...

For those that haven't seen thread in EBAY about Stetson Playboy that I' dealing with, the hat has 1/2 marking & is NO where near a 7 1/2 as described. Anybody here have knowledge or experience with 6 1/2 hat size? TIA

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wanted to say something to that effect on the "ebay" thread, but no, this would be the first 6 1/2 I have ever seen. Is the "1/2" maybe a tag from another hat just stuck in the strats' sweat? Is there a paper tag under the sweat w/ the color, block #, reorder# & size?

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here are a couple pictures from a 1935 Montgomery Ward's catalog that came in a 6 1/2. That's a really small size though. You might be able to sell it to a lady though. Do you have pictures?

wards1935menhat1.jpg

wards1935men_hat2.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I have a size 6 1/2 hat block, so they did exist, but I'd have to say they were mostly for boys/young men, as I would think most men would have a larger hat size.

A vintage "1/2" size tag would normally mean 7 1/2, so this whole thing is confusing to all of us, besides being frustrating to you.[huh]

Brad

From all measurements, it is an actual 6 1/2, right at 20 1/4" in circumference. I have no idea how somebody got a 23 1/2 measurement off the crown or sweatband & got to 7 1/2. Pictures are over on ebay thread. Oh well...

big kahuna

Familiar Face
hand printed or modified size tags are not unknown in odd-sizes vintage hats. My Stetson Sovereign Homburg in 8 1/8 has a "cut and paste" tag, where they cut the 8 off of another tag and taped it over the 7...My "Holy Grail," the 8 1/2 high-crown Mallory Homburg from the '20's, has the original union made tag, and a hand-written size tag wherein they wrote over the printed 7 with an 8..

MattJH

One Too Many
I've definitely seen old size charts listing sizes this small and smaller, and have been waiting to run into one to post:

213819073_tp.jpg

jpbales

Practically Family
small heads

I would guess that those small hats are for boys and young men as well. I was thinking that maybe they could be for dwarfs too, but some research found that most dwarfs have average size heads, just disproportionally small arms and legs.:eek:fftopic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic