Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebuild help?

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Hello gentlemen (and ladies of course ;) )

I am a long time fan of the forum but just not a big poster. Being in the military and working odd hours are the main cause of this. To get to the point:

I found a hat that the seller swore was made in the 1930s. It is a light tan cowboy hat with a six inch crown and a brim that is just a smidgen under four inches. It has a yellow (golden?) liner of what appears to be two griffin standing on two legs and holding some kind of object. The griffin/object are stamped in black along with "royal quality" and "5xxxxx beaver quality". I cannot find any info as to the brand anywhere. Is it an old Stetson? The seller goofed up on the size and instead of being a 7 1/2 it is a size 7. The inside circumference is about 22 inches which I attribute to stretching over time. I had planned on shipping the hat off to Steve or Art but after I came back from leave I read to my dismay that they are no longer doing this type of work.

Is there anyone here besides Mr. Delk or Mr. Fawcett that rebuilds hats? I would need a reblock and a size adjustment as well as new sweat, liner, etc. I REALLY want this hat to wear around but I am stuck unless I can find some help. I welcome any help and advice from the people here that have far more knowledge in this area then I do.

Thanks in advance
Hollis

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Mr. Jones, welcome to the Lounge & greetings from Tennessee,

I just sent three lids to Optimo in Chicago for various rebuilds, repairs & stretches. (I have been meaning to post there but have not yet found time to photograph them.) Optimo took an old Stetson 25 cowboy hat & turned it into a dandy "Michum" style fedora, stretched, rebuilt & upsized a lovely old Royal Stetson Playboy & freshened up & reviatalised my oldest, a Stetson 15 w/ a mode edge. They do good work, expect to pay about $100 at most for a total refurb, about the same anywhere... hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick

feltfan

M_Jones said:
inches. It has a yellow (golden?) liner of what appears to be two griffin standing on two legs and holding some kind of object. The griffin/object are stamped in black along with "royal quality" and "5xxxxx beaver quality". I cannot find any info as to the brand anywhere. Is it an old Stetson? The seller goofed up on the size and instead of being a 7 1/2 it is a size 7.

If it doesn't say "Stetson" it probably isn't.
But it's probably still a great hat- nevermind the brand.
A lot of hat companies of the time had logos suspiciously
similar to Stetson's. You can see examples on the Lounge.

Your bigger concern should be size. Stretching a size 7 to a 7 1/2
is a major undertaking and the resultant hat may not look right, if
it stretches that far at all. In addition, old, good quality felt
requires a lot of "convincing" to retain its new size. I have tried
stretching (professionally and not) some old Stetsons less than
that and found myself stretching them again and again as a
"reminder". I hate to say it since you clearly love that hat,
but there are larger, top quality vintage Western style hats
on eBay all the time for reasonable prices.

Rick Blaine

The Royal Stetson Playboy that I gave to Optimo was originally a 7 1/8 w/ a 2.5" brim. When returned to me it was a 7 3/8 w/ a 2.25" brim, the brim has a distinctive pattern of (subtle) decorative stitching running its circumference & that is still there. So I dunno but maybe this can lead us to conclude that; regards to upsizing expect to lose 1/8" of brim (To be incorporated into the crown) for each size increment increase... any pros out there concur? Art, Steve?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Rick, that sounds about right. The alternative is to lose crown height in the case of wanting to keep the brim width.
Welcome to the Lounge M_Jones

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the ideas folks. I have some options to pursue now. I will show some pics after I decide on whom to go with.

@Feltfan: Even thouogh the size clearly states 7 the inside circumference is about 22 inches. I am at least going to try because I paid a little too much for this hat. (darn eBay bidding wars :rage: )

Thanks for the info everyone. I knew I could count on you guys.

Regards,
Hollis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner