Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a Panama ...

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
It has been in the 90's the past couple of days. I pulled out my Panamas to wear. Yesterday wore my BBB Montecristi and today the one from Panama Hat Co. Both were so cool and light. I highly recommend them. Always a shock when I switch to the Panamas from my fur felts. I may just have to put my fur felts away until next fall.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I really like Akubra's hemp hats. They're nowhere near as light as panamas, but they're much much sturdier, and water doesn't bother them in the least, and they all come with leather sweatbands. My favorite casual bigger ones are the Reef and Range with 3.25" raw edge brims, which are the same hat except that the Range has a vented crown. Nice casual smaller Akubra hemp hats are the Byron and the Planter with 3.125" bound brims, which are the same hat except that the Planter has a turned up rolled edge brim and a different hatband. For a more formal look, there's the Akubra Balmoral with a 2.75" bound brim, and you can always replace its stock hatband with something dressier.

This my go hat for weekends in summer Down Under. Otherwise to work I wear a vintage Milan and occasionally a Panama.

Any suggestions for what to spray/apply for straw hats that have got a bit floppy from being vintage and steamed a lot?

Last edited:

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Living in the swamp known as the mid-atlantic area, I leave the traditional panamas and go straight for the semi-calados.

I do wish Akubra offered a vented hemp hat with traditional fedora styling and a brim between 2.5" and 2.75". They seem to offer hemp in only the extreme brim widths, which don't work for me.

FRANKIE

New in Town
Should have mentioned;I have one....nice hat but synthetic.

Unless you got it in the last couple of days, you have a different hat. The natural hemp ones just got to JJ this week for the first time.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
I have found that many panama under $100 are called Genuine Panama because they are made of real toquila but are manufactured in Italy. I got one last summer from a hat shop in France. But I Guess you'll find some from the Panama Hat Co.

I personnaly would never put more than $100 in a Panama

AndyR

One of the Regulars
The Asher does show up now at J.J.Hat Center (under new arrivals) and it is indeed listed as '100% natural woven hemp'. I wish it came with a longer brim. I like the idea though. I'll have to see what the Stratoliner looks like.

Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner