Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a Panama ...

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I would like brim width confirmation of the hemp stratoliner. Also, although not nearly as crucial, is it milan or woven?

Not being on the website "yet", is worrisome. Both hats should be there if they intend to sell both.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Hugely disappointed that the hemp stratoliner is not available in hat sizes, just S, M, L, XL. That won't work for me what-so-ever.

I was a bit surprised by that. Probably wouldn't work for me either. I'm kind of a 'tweener. I would certainly have to see one locally to try on, rather than risk extra shipping charges due to improper fit.

Andy

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Unfortunately though, the Range doesn't look to me like a fedora, due to not having a snap-brim (the quintessential fedora trait, in my opinion).
All that you need to do to re-shape this hat into one with an upswept rear brim is to wet it.
That's what I did, and it's holding its new shape just fine.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Actually, it's not just the down-front, up-back that I'm after. It's the ability to snap it up all around during the times when I'm not wearing the hat. It's just easier to manage that way (doesn't require a hat-rack).

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Actually, it's not just the down-front, up-back that I'm after. It's the ability to snap it up all around during the times when I'm not wearing the hat. It's just easier to manage that way (doesn't require a hat-rack).

Seriously! Look into the Stetson Origional '47 or if u like a smaller brim (and i believe a slightly shorter crown) the Origional '48. Both are made of "grade 8" Panama Straw for abt $150 (you could probably find them on sale for less) as well as in Shantung for abt $100. Brim can go "either way!" Picked up my Panama '47 on sale last summer on the web at HAT COUNTRY for less than $100.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Seriously! Look into the Stetson Origional '47 or if u like a smaller brim (and i believe a slightly shorter crown) the Origional '48. Both are made of "grade 8" Panama Straw for abt $150 (you could probably find them on sale for less) as well as in Shantung for abt $100. Brim can go "either way!" Picked up my Panama '47 on sale last summer on the web at HAT COUNTRY for less than $100.
I've already got a panama. I'm looking specifically for a hemp hat due to its reputation for durability.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I've checked out the websites of both Bencraft and Peters Brothers but have not found anything mentioning hemp. Peters Bros site is especially sparse on info. No mention of hemp on their FB page either.

RJR

Better off calling Peters Bros;the website is useless.I have two of their hemps and really like them.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Agree with the Peters Bros suggestion.

I called in the store a few weeks ago and took a look at their hemp Milan hats.

They can make them in a whole bunch of styles from Indiana Jones to Open Road (Shady Oaks in PB speak).

I plan on getting a black OR style in the near future, although a couple of other hat purchases have delayed this.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nobody has said anything about sunbody hats yet. they have an open crown model as well as a fedora style. Also have an actual UV rating
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner