Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for old Panama

punkinhed

New in Town
I recently bought this one at a yard sale (a tag sale to our Northern friends). It was filthy and the sweatband was crumbled. I washed it in warm water and Murphy's Oil Soap (mistake?) and removed what was left of the sweatband. It had been severely misshapen in storage, so I didn't really know the original blocking. Now, I have no idea how to shape it. It's not exactly an ultra, so should I just leave it like it is and wear it to work in the garden? Any advice on blocking, based on the form now? BTW, the crown is very fragile--it crackles a bit with handling. Any advice on "softening" or "moisturizing" the straw?

I've edited to let you know that, for some reason, the pic link won't insert. Advice on that?!! lol

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
punkinhed said:
I recently bought this one at a yard sale (a tag sale to our Northern friends). It was filthy and the sweatband was crumbled. I washed it in warm water and Murphy's Oil Soap (mistake?) and removed what was left of the sweatband. It had been severely misshapen in storage, so I didn't really know the original blocking. Now, I have no idea how to shape it. It's not exactly an ultra, so should I just leave it like it is and wear it to work in the garden? Any advice on blocking, based on the form now? BTW, the crown is very fragile--it crackles a bit with handling. Any advice on "softening" or "moisturizing" the straw?

I've edited to let you know that, for some reason, the pic link won't insert. Advice on that?!! lol

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the straw is cracking, the options are few. Once straw dries as bad as you have described, there is not much to be done. Misting a straw on a regular basis is advisable. Sadly, you seem to be beyond this. Give Art a jingle and see if he has any ideas. It is a shame, but I bought one last year off the bay, that was supposed to be in wonderfull shape. When it arrived it had a break at the pinch and one in the back. When I contacted the seller, she claimed it was fine when it left. I guess the hat fairies took revenge between her and me. I let it go, but will never buy from her again. I figure the $36.00 as a down payment to learn about her selling practices.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Punkinhead
I have more bad news for you. First, take the hat in the bathroom with you when you take a shower. The steam will help moisten the straw and it only has to be in the room. It won't repair any splits but will help. However, my best advice would be to just use it as a yard hat with the best shaping you can do. This is no more than a grade 2-3Cuenca that you can buy as a finished hat for about $25 ( I think) from PB and as a raw body not much more than $10 so it really isn't worth sending out to a hatter unless he's part of the family.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley