Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for Riding Jeans

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess jeans are technically outerwear? You don't wear anything over the top of them.

Anyway, seeing as we have quite a few riders here, just wondering what everyone does regarding pants for riding?

I've just ordered a pair of Klim Fifty 1 Jeans. That should arrive in a day or two.
Cordura denim weave with Kevlar lining and D30 hip & knee armour plus and tail bone impact foam. Sounds good and the reviews are pretty positive.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-k-fifty-1-jeans

If people are interested I'll post my thoughts/review when they arrive. Just curious what the rest of you ride in.

dan_t

Practically Family
Dainese full armoured leather pants zipped to a matching jacket.
I don't commute, so choose the best protection I can get.
Not heard of those jeans before, but they do look nice. I might have to invest in a pair myself. Sometimes the full leather outfit is a little hot for out summers.
280 kms this morning before the hoards were up was a nice way to start the weekend!

ProteinNerd

I've got a pair of dainese leather pants that zip into a Ducati Jacket I wear on longer rides but I don't do so many of them and I don't like the power ranger look if I'm just heading out for a quick ride and a coffee etc.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Seen the Revzilla. I wasn't sure if they were fully kevlar lined, rather than just lined in small patches which are near contact

I use Draggin' Jeans and Hood. The Hood is fully lined Kevlar which I much prefer - not got to test them on the gravel yet. Full lining with kevlar is important if you want to avoid gravel rash in non contact areas which can reach shearing temperatures for skin.

Still feel like I'm taking a risk when I go out on kevlar jeans instead of proper 1 piece or 2 piece racing suit. Having loose cordura denim isn't going to let armour grip close to be as effective.

casechopper

I wear regular jeans with knee/shin protectors strapped on over top. It's not as protective as riding pants but is sufficient for the moment on my 5 mile local road commute.

GregO

One of the Regulars
Man, riding pants that aren't ugly are a rare breed. I've got a pair of Ugly Bros. motorpools that look good and have armor in the hips and knees, but they are simply denim with no Kevlar. I have a pair of Aether compass pants which are nice, but they run crazy long and I spent too much getting them hemmed because of the bottom zips. I Might try some Rokkers, I hear good things, but they have stupid pocket embellishments that are kinda low class.

Good riding pants that don't look power rangery are super hard to find.

Maybe some Aerostitch AD1s or Dariens?

bn1966

I wear Draggin K Kevlar leggings with Knox knee armour and thick denim jeans (Pike Bros) over the top.

What's wrong with leather? I'm wearing ones just like these when I plan on spending more than 15 minutes on a motorcycle.

44853a2c1857e219_60sbikejeans-full-500.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
What's wrong with leather? I'm wearing ones just like these when I plan on spending more than 15 minutes on a motorcycle.
I would think with Summer temps in the low 90s that leather would be uncomfortable? My Kevlar jeans with patches at the knees and hips block a lot of air flow and get a bit warm with temps in the 90s.

ProteinNerd: Yes, please post a brief review when you have had a chance to try the jeans.

Well yeah, of course, leather is a big no in anything around 80 for me but it's perfect for the spring/autumn motorcycling. Some of that stretchy thermal stuff underneath and it works for most of the winter, too. Though right, I see what you mean, considering where Seb Lucas is... :D What about something perforated? Supposedly, it's super easy to fall in love with that stuff.

Man I can't contribute much here. I have two pair of Levi's that have significant oil stains on the shin area from a leaky rocker box that are my dedicated riding jeans. :confused:

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Hein Gericke used to make some in a 30's Police cut tho' not as wide at the thigh as the jodphur style often seen.Really comfortable but maybe not for the sports rider

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Have have put Draggin jeans to the test with an unplanned slide down the motorway at 50 mph. I can honestly say they did a great job. Outer layer of denim wore through but the knitted Kevlar held strong. The only point that let my skin meet the road was when the leg twisted round moving the unlined back of the knee to move round to the front and my knee suffered a little. My ass and hips were absolutely fine.
This happened on day 1 of a trip to Spain from London, I picked the bike up and rode a further 200 miles that day

Plumbline

One Too Many
For winter and commuting I wear Rukka Cordura trousers with full D3O armour ...... warm, waterproof, protective and light.

Spring - I generally wear either my "Scott" Made to Measure leather trousers or my rukkas without the winter lining.

If it's Summer or it's really warm ( Spain / US/Canada) then I'll wear Draggin jeans with Hiprotec hip and knee armour fitted ( as well as the std. Kevlar lining).

I have a pair of Aero FQHH jeans which are muckle beasts which I wore when I had the VMax but always felt a bit vulnerable without armour. I also have a pair of Belstaff steerhide jeans which are a neater cut than the Aero's and were great to wear but too neat to wear with knee and hip armour ( both will probabbly be sold this year as I simply don't wear thenm any more).

I don't ride in regular jeans ............. ever ( seen too many problems to make it worthwhile) .... but each to his own.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Man I can't contribute much here. I have two pair of Levi's that have significant oil stains on the shin area from a leaky rocker box that are my dedicated riding jeans. :confused:
+2............Although both rocker boxes are fixed now!!

Benproof

A-List Customer
"I would think with Summer temps in the low 90s that leather would be uncomfortable? My Kevlar jeans with patches at the knees and hips block a lot of air flow and get a bit warm with temps in the 90s."

Clearly you are not going fast enough :)

Benproof

A-List Customer
For winter and commuting I wear Rukka Cordura trousers with full D3O armour ...... warm, waterproof, protective and light.

Spring - I generally wear either my "Scott" Made to Measure leather trousers or my rukkas without the winter lining.

If it's Summer or it's really warm ( Spain / US/Canada) then I'll wear Draggin jeans with Hiprotec hip and knee armour fitted ( as well as the std. Kevlar lining).

I have a pair of Aero FQHH jeans which are muckle beasts which I wore when I had the VMax but always felt a bit vulnerable without armour. I also have a pair of Belstaff steerhide jeans which are a neater cut than the Aero's and were great to wear but too neat to wear with knee and hip armour ( both will probabbly be sold this year as I simply don't wear thenm any more).

I don't ride in regular jeans ............. ever ( seen too many problems to make it worthwhile) .... but each to his own.

No, you're just sensible. Like the way most of us should be, but we take calculated risks and dress down sometimes.
Draggin jeans with armour is fine for me, although I find it looks weirder than normal motorcycle sports clothing. In London, 1 in 5 motorcycle riders are involved in traffic collisions a year. We can do advanced riding training and everything else to protect us. Traffic awareness and anticipation on a motorcycle is more powerful protection than any leather or kevlar gear. Although on those rare days when it's pummelling down torrential rain, visibility near 6ft and surrounded by A star hole cage drivers trying to do a rear docking, it's when it makes sense, that looks are less important than safety.

Upz with the powerranger looks :)

PS The Belstaff motorcycle gear prior to the Italian fashion take over is superb. You're right about their steerhide - just utterly top notch. I bought one of the last new Montana jackets just before discovering they went bust. Never worn it since my old jackets are still working great.

Peacoat

Bartender
"I would think with Summer temps in the low 90s that leather would be uncomfortable? My Kevlar jeans with patches at the knees and hips block a lot of air flow and get a bit warm with temps in the 90s."

Clearly you are not going fast enough :)
Ha! No, not a rocket rider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner