Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended Wardrobe for College Girl

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
If it's Lilli Ann and it's 40's it's totally worth it. Those are VERY collectable :) See if you can try them on in the Store's bathroom to make sure they fit. If you're in love with them, by all means, snag em!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bump!

Doing some digging and thought this would be a good thread for our gals off to the ivy leagues. Get ready early ladies :D

LD

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
College Age Ladies Wardrobe

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I have another question for the ladies. In the 40's, what would a 19 yr old young lady's wardrobe consist of? I have read that clothes were kept simple for young ladies. Can you tell me what you would need for an entire wardrobe? I would really appreciate the advice, since I only have 2 40's period dresses and a pair of heels. Thank you all so much again.
Sarah

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Well they didn't own as much clothes as we do today. They did have sportswear, day clothes, afternoon dresses and evening dresses.

Here is some casual day-wear from yearbooks. Some of it is really casual, surprisingly so. There is even jeans, short and t-shirts!

2893967207_298785ef99.jpg

2894810174_18a4641491.jpg

2894810248_075639380a.jpg

Normal day-wear for school was probably a casual cotton dress, or a skirt and blouse, and maybe a sweater. Their heels are low, although there are some wedges with socks!

2893966809_23c6d4868a.jpg

2894810290_89b208330f.jpg

There were dressier afternoon events, out would come suits, hats, high heels and fancy dresses.

2894810400_563f80c1bd_o.jpg

152325095_a898061033.jpg

Then there were evening dresses. Young ladies were more demure and covered up and less sexy and sophisticated.

2893966921_84c6d6377a.jpg

2894810338_2b5b252aaa.jpg

Most of my yearbooks are mid-late 30's, but I did include some photos from a late 40's college yearbook too.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
newtovintage said:
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I have another question for the ladies. In the 40's, what would a 19 yr old young lady's wardrobe consist of? I have read that clothes were kept simple for young ladies. Can you tell me what you would need for an entire wardrobe? I would really appreciate the advice, since I only have 2 40's period dresses and a pair of heels. Thank you all so much again.
Sarah

From Etiquette by Emily Post, 1940:

The Well-Dressed Girl at College

The girl who would like to know what clothes to take to college and how to be well dressed on a reasonable sum of money should first of all pay particular attention to practicality.

As a tentative list from which you can subtract if you must, or to which you can add as you please, it is safe to suggest one or two suits of tweed or other useful wool material, and several sweater blouses of varying weights. Knit skirts with matching blouses are very good, but skirts of tweed or serge will give better service because knit skirts require a fairly long rest lying flat on a shelf, to straigten the bagging knees or sitting-down bulge to which they are inclined, even though they be turned front side back every other time they are worn. The closely knit cotton jersey skirts and sweaters hold their shape much better than the more expensive hand-knitted woolen or boucle ones. In addition to sweater clothes, which you wear day after day in classes or on the campus, you should perhaps have a dress or two to wear under a coat to church on Sundays or to town for lunch on Saturdays.

For evening clothes there is little to suggest except the practical idea of buying evening dresses that have accompanying jackets or capes. With its jacket such an evening dress can serve many purposes.

Remember that fussy dresses with trimmings which must be continually cleaned and pressed, materials which wrinkle like tissue paper or are spotted by a drop of rain, are obviously not practical. The type of dress for a moderate budget is one that is plain in cut and that does not scream to go to the cleaner's if anything touches it. Test whatever you are in doubt about by squeezing it into a ball in your hand and then seeing whether the wrinkles stay in or disappear when smoothed out between fingers.

In addition to dresses you will also need a heavy country coat--of fur, perhaps--a thinner polo coat, and a raincoat. Hats or caps, though unusual on the campus, depend upon your clothes--and you. Gloves for warmth in a cold climate and other gloves for church and for town are all that you need. But, whatever else you choose, choose sensible shoes for daytime use. Wear fancy slippers or sandals with stilt heels in the evening, if you like, but don't walk about the campus in silly shoes.

You will need a wrapper and slippers, of course, and pajamas and underthings simply tailored are in best taste. A lot of nightgowns and other things deeply trimmed with lace are all very well in the trousseau of a bride, but neither practical nor suitable in an institution of learning.​

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:

The girl who would like to know what clothes to take to college and how to be well dressed on a reasonable sum of money should first of all pay particular attention to practicality.

As a tentative list from which you can subtract if you must, or to which you can add as you please, it is safe to suggest one or two suits of tweed or other useful wool material, and several sweater blouses of varying weights. Knit skirts with matching blouses are very good, but skirts of tweed or serge will give better service because knit skirts require a fairly long rest lying flat on a shelf, to straigten the bagging knees or sitting-down bulge to which they are inclined, even though they be turned front side back every other time they are worn. The closely knit cotton jersey skirts and sweaters hold their shape much better than the more expensive hand-knitted woolen or boucle ones. In addition to sweater clothes, which you wear day after day in classes or on the campus, you should perhaps have a dress or two to wear under a coat to church on Sundays or to town for lunch on Saturdays.

For evening clothes there is little to suggest except the practical idea of buying evening dresses that have accompanying jackets or capes. With its jacket such an evening dress can serve many purposes.

Remember that fussy dresses with trimmings which must be continually cleaned and pressed, materials which wrinkle like tissue paper or are spotted by a drop of rain, are obviously not practical. The type of dress for a moderate budget is one that is plain in cut and that does not scream to go to the cleaner's if anything touches it. Test whatever you are in doubt about by squeezing it into a ball in your hand and then seeing whether the wrinkles stay in or disappear when smoothed out between fingers.

In addition to dresses you will also need a heavy country coat--of fur, perhaps--a thinner polo coat, and a raincoat. Hats or caps, though unusual on the campus, depend upon your clothes--and you. Gloves for warmth in a cold climate and other gloves for church and for town are all that you need. But, whatever else you choose, choose sensible shoes for daytime use. Wear fancy slippers or sandals with stilt heels in the evening, if you like, but don't walk about the campus in silly shoes.

You will need a wrapper and slippers, of course, and pajamas and underthings simply tailored are in best taste. A lot of nightgowns and other things deeply trimmed with lace are all very well in the trousseau of a bride, but neither practical nor suitable in an institution of learning.​

Can you tell me where I could find these items? Or items very similar or even patterns? I really appreciate all the advice. One site that I found in doing a search is Miss-Vintage.com. It's great. Thanks again.
Sarah

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
newtovintage said:
Can you tell me where I could find these items? Or items very similar or even patterns? I really appreciate all the advice. One site that I found in doing a search is Miss-Vintage.com. It's great. Thanks again.
Sarah

Ebay or a vintage clothing store or site. You're more likely to find something if you're petite. Otherwise, you'll probably have to DIY with a pattern. There's a lot of info on the Lounge about both buying and making--you'll need to do some searches.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Paisley said:

I'm printing this out and putting it on my fridge. Then, when other undergrads come visit and ask why I'm dressed the way I am, I don't even have to have a response. I can just point with disdain.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I like Emily Post's emphasis on practicality: two suits, some skirts, some blouses, sensible shoes, basic underwear and some coats. Throughout the book, she emphasizes living within your means and honoring your debts.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
newtovintage, where in Ohio are you? I'm an Ohio gal myself and might have some addresses for good vintage stores near you!

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
shindeco said:
Mr. Deckard started this thread in another section but it reminded me of a similar list for women I had in one of my etiquette books. I couldn't remember which one so it took me a while to find it (I have quite a few). I've compiled it into list for but if you're interested I could transcribe the whole thing. She has quite a bit to say about colour--and the style of writing is delightful.

This is from

Margery Wilson (1937) The Pocket Book of Etiquette, New York: Pocket Books, Inc.

It was origianlly published in 1937 but my copy is the 11th edition from 1943

1 three-piece suit (skirt, jacket and coat)
1 knitted dress with sweater to match
-[These are mixed and matched to create 4 outfits]
1 extra sweater
2 dresses:
-1 with short skirt
-1 with long skirt (preferably with matching jacket)
1 evening gown
3 blouses:
-1 of lame
-1 of crepe/satin/silk
-1 of linen
2 soft, crushable felt hats
3 pairs of shoes:
-1 pair low-heeled ties
-1 pair of plain, kid pumps
-1 pair of gold evening slippers
Underwear and sleeping garments of lace knit (amount unspecified)
silk dressing gown (wool only if ?¢‚Ǩ?ìyou don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t trust the heating plant of your abode?¢‚Ǩ?)
?¢‚Ǩ?ìIf you are ?¢‚ǨÀúcold-blooded?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ have a little crocheted bed-jacket that takes up little space. And always carry a small hot-water bottle?¢‚Ǩ?

I would love it if you could transcribe it for me. The clothes mentioned are 1943 items, correct?

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Whew! Sorry newtovintage, the best I can do requires a little driving! There's Rockin' Rose in Toledo they do some vintage. If you want to make it a bigger roadtrip there are plenty of good places in Cleveland and Stiches In Time in Plymouth. Sorry I get an "F". I'm of much less help to you than I had hoped to be. Do I get points for effort? lol

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
The Collegiate Look

Ladies,

I need your help again.

While I'm still legally in high-school I'm headed off to college soon, to work on my English course early. And of course, what is college if not a fantastic institution for higher learning... and a fantastically legit excuse to shop! :eusa_clap

I need you to give me ideas for pieces (Accessories, and backpack ideas too) that in your opinion should be in every girls wardrobe.

I'd like them to be casual, low-key, but still put-together, maybe with a few dressy elements for when I'm feeling upbeat (Which isn't often) or sassy. (And really when aren't I? :p )

I plan to over haul my closet, as it is outdated int he snese that few things fit, and some of what does, I just plain don't wear anymore. (Oversized concert t-shirts I haven't worn since age 14.... 4 years ago... :rolleyes: )

I plan to hit Macy's, and maybe Unique Vintage, but MyBabyJos etc. stuff is welcome.

Cheers. And here's to hoping you'll help me! :D

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I do the collegaite look for day to day wear. I have plaid jackets, solid skirts in an A line cut. Saddle shoes are your best friend! That and rubber overshoes. I will have to get the life article on proper do and donts for girls in college. The article talks about don't wear spike heels they are impratical and so on and so forth. Seperates were the college girls best friend. I have a list of clothing a girl would have taken to college, let me find that so I can post it for you.

Samantha

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I just pulled out my 1930's Emily Post Ettiquette book and here is what Miss Post recomends:

1 or 2 suits of tweed or wool
several sweater blouses
skirts of tweed or serge
1 or 2 dresses for wearing about town on weekends and church
1 basic evening dress that can be mixed and matched with many accessories
1 heavy country coat of fur or wool
hats and caps if you so desire
gloves for evening, chruch,cold climates and lunch occasions
sensible shoes for daytime use(read: saddle shoes, penny loafers, rubber overshoes)
1 pair of heels for evening wear
1 robe or wrapper; tailored in style
alot of nightgowns, plain in taste

Hope that helps! I will search some links later.

Samantha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner