Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recreating hard-sided luggage

Edward

Bartender
Thec main problem I find with luggage is that there's luggage that looks nice, luggage that won't get destroyed the first time you fly with it, and luggage I can afford..... and no luggage that is more than two of those three things.

It'd be an interesting project for somebody to reproduce vintage style cases; if done afforably they would at least be very nice storage boxes round the home (which is what I've considered buying a few vintage ones for).

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, BlueTrain. I take it you're a Bentley fan?

Speaking of fitted luggage (which is the part of this project that still remains), I have most of the set my grandparents purchased to accompany their 1959 Mercedes. I should post pictures. It's a later style than what I'm shooting for here, but it is handsome and makes great decor/storage around the house.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
No, I'm a Rover fan, hence the on-line name "Blue Train," which comes from the advertising slogan from before WWII, "Blue Train Rover." The Blue Train, as you probably know, was a luxury train that ran to the South of France, probably from Calais. It was supposedly a trick to try to "beat the train" by automobile and someone managed to do it in a Rover sedan.

I had two Rover sedans, something like 45 years ago, plus a Land-Rover for good measure. Rover cars haven't been made for a few years but Range-Rovers seem to be doing pretty well. Grace Kelly died driving a Rover.

Rovers weren't the only cars I liked, you understand.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I was aware of the Rover connection, but I'm more used to hearing about Woolf Barnato's later race in a Bentley.

A bit late model, but you might be interested to know that one of my coworkers owns two Rovers: A 1968 2000 TC and a 1970 3500S. The 2000 makes regular appearances in the summer months--neat car.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Oh, my gosh! Those were the same years I had. I think!

What would a classic car be now that you could buy new (in the states, at least)? Price is always an consideration. British cars are rather scarce these days but I think Morgans are available. In fact, there is a dealer in the town where I went to school and I think it's the same dealer that used to sell MGs and Triumphs: Morgantown!

Incredibly enough, one of our company-owned vehicles is a Jaguar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto