Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recycled Threads - Okay, I'm a jerk

I don't know why I'm particularly bothered by recycled threads. I guess they make me feel like I've walked into a picture ten minutes after it started and then I waited around for the picture to start again so I can catch the beginning. Oh, this is where I came in, I can go now.

The search feature here is pretty useless and I suppose with about two-thousand new members in the last year this was bound to happen. Anyway to improve it?

By the way, this may be a recycled thread.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
In regards to the search feature...

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21301

I know its a pain to keep a google window open too..but it does find more stuff then the board's search.

People should indeed look before they post. There is rarely anything new under the sun and there is a 80% chance there is a thread on it. Always use the idea that 'If I thought of this, someone else probabaly has as well'

;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just do an advanced search with a basic word I plan on using. I think the FL search is fine. Ive never had probs with it.

LD

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I feel I'm a bit part of the recycled threads, since I started that "Reviving Old Threads" thread. I suppose the reason was, after reading through the thousands of pages in the dark depths of the lounge, I found a lot of useful information that hasn't seen the light of day and some of them not too many really gave their input.

It's sort of like repeating a story word for word to different people. You know you've told it before, but you tell it again to someone else who hasn't heard it. If by recycling threads allows for good information to be told without having to retell it, it makes things a lot simplier. I know what you mean by walking into a movie after it's begun. Some threads are conversations, others say "you just struck gold!".

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
happyfilmluvguy said:
I feel I'm a bit part of the recycled threads, since I started that "Reviving Old Threads" thread. I suppose the reason was, after reading through the thousands of pages in the dark depths of the lounge, I found a lot of useful information that hasn't seen the light of day and some of them not too many really gave their input.

It's sort of like repeating a story word for word to different people. You know you've told it before, but you tell it again to someone else who hasn't heard it. If by recycling threads allows for good information to be told without having to retell it, it makes things a lot simplier. I know what you mean by walking into a movie after it's begun. Some threads are conversations, others say "you just struck gold!".

I agree.

Twitch

I'm kinda with Sen. Jack on this. If I see a "new" topic then realize one person only has commented on something that died 18 months ago I move on. That particular incarnation of the thought or topic is over as far as I'm concerned.

If someone begins a quite similar topic 18 months hence it's fine with me since there are new people involved with assorted new comments.

I certainly think it is senseless to look through 5 pages of discussion from 2006 and find a terse comment that makes it "new" again.

There is probably no topic that hasn't been broached over the time and number of people that haunt this place but I prefer to see current stuff. This doesn't preclude a long-running topic that actually gets regular participation and runs 32 pages.

For me if it's 2 weeks old it's dead.[huh]

The problem is, all the threads i'd want to see recycled are closed. Underpants, anyone? I mean, how the hell do you get so het up about underpants. That was a good thread . . .

Most of the rest . . . could happily remain buried. Endless "discussions" about hating dirty hippies and their wanton destruction of the male wardrobe, and hatred of varied and sundry eras of clothing, can remain dead for all i care.

You'll notice: The good ones don't often drop off the first page of threads in a particular room.

bk

Twitch

Baron, sometimes I see threads closed in short order even though no one was rude or the topic was lewd in the farthest of stretch.

It why this emoticon works so well [huh] so you can walk away shaking you head muttering I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW