Red Wool Knits for Custom Jackets-HELP!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by cbrunt, Oct 5, 2010.

1. cbrunt

cbrunt One of the Regulars

Hi Gang,

Did a search but "wool knit" got hundreds of results... :eusa_doh:

Anyways... I'm wondering where I could get wool knit for cuffs and waistband but rather than the khaki stuff, in red. A friend that makes some of my reenactment clothing is going to copy this awesome new Civilian Conservation Corps jacket just released by Buzz Rickson... But with minor chnages

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=430

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/images/br_red_ccc_mont.jpg

I'm opting for traditional knit waistband and maybe internal knit cuffs. Using Johnson Woolen Mills red muted plaid which is close.

Any insight is appreciated!!!

Clint
    PS. Why don't I just by the Buzz Rickson...? Well my buddy will make it for about half that price or so!!!

2. Sunny

Sunny One Too Many

Do you need red wool knit fabric, or red wool ribbing?

I've seen wool doubleknit for sale at Fashion Fabrics Club from time to time.

3. cbrunt

cbrunt One of the Regulars

Hi Sunny,

I guess wool (or even polyester) elastic knit- just generic stuff. Don't know really what else to call it.

Look at the link and didn't find anything.

Thanks,
    Clint

4. Sunny

Sunny One Too Many

Then maybe try searching for "ribbing." Regular knit just looks like a plain sweater, just smaller loops. Ribbing actually has up-and-down rows, and it's usually/often sold in long tubes instead of fabric yardage.