Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regretting to put patches on my new Aero A-2......

Justhandguns

Practically Family
A bit of understandable confusion here. If this is an intended reproduction of a jacket during the war, the patch, as a2jacketpatches said, goes on the left sleeve. If the jacket is being worn after the war, the patch would go on the right sleeve, indicating prior combat with the 101st. JHG, the photos you were looking at were probably taken during the war.

This is the protocol for patched jackets if the wearer stays in the Army after his combat service and is assigned to another unit, outside of the combat theater. After being assigned to the non combat unit, the patch of that unit would be placed on the left sleeve, and the 101st patch, the "combat patch," would be moved to the right sleeve.

If the wearer of the jacket does not stay in the Army, he can put his patches wherever he wants. Most, however, leave them where they were during their service. In my opinion, it would be logical to have the 101st patch moved to the right shoulder, indicating he had been in combat with the 101st. Leaving the 101st patch on the left shoulder would indicate non combat service with that unit. I doubt that anyone actually takes the trouble to do this, however. Many soldiers and officers getting out of the Army after WWII may not have even known there was a combat patch protocol.

Hope this clarifies the situation, rather than muddying it.

Thanks for the infomation. I think this has also been explained a while ago (actually a few years back....). What I was hoping was to have it look like the original theatre jacket, not a jacket for the vet.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I had the same thing happen with another jacket maker. Put the squadron patch on the wrong side and refused to change it. Idiots, I've NOT purchased from him since...

Worf

Just read this, and the follow up from JHG on his situation. That's something that would really bring me down if it happened to me. I think you're both handling it very well.

So you've got a set of my 101st patches? the 48 Star Flag? Great. I didn't see a definitive answer to the placement question, and like I said, I just ran across this post by chance so I jumped in. Yeah, the 101st would go on the right for prior service in that unit. But as a tribute to WW2, I think as they wore it and not as if the wearer had prior service, that just doesn't add up.

Also, some time back I did this myself putting a CBI on the wearers right and AAF HQ on the left. Was able to switch after a desperate rush to perfect my stitch holes disappearing trick. Fortunately, my theories on how to do this worked out well and you couldn't tell. Had to tell the guy just to be honest and his reply was something like

"I just heard the echo of my a**hole slamming shut"

He was ok after I sent photos showing the final results but since then I triple check everything going on an expensive leather jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
Also, some time back I did this myself putting a CBI on the wearers right and AAF HQ on the left. Was able to switch after a desperate rush to perfect my stitch holes disappearing trick. Fortunately, my theories on how to do this worked out well and you couldn't tell. Had to tell the guy just to be honest and his reply was something like

A little off topic in this thread, but how did you get the stitch holes to disappear? It was discussed in a prior thread, but I don't remember seeing your method. I think JHG would find it of interest as he may need to do some stitch work repair if he changes sleeves with his 101st patch.

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
So you've got a set of my 101st patches? the 48 Star Flag? Great. I didn't see a definitive answer to the placement question, and like I said, I just ran across this post by chance so I jumped in. Yeah, the 101st would go on the right for prior service in that unit. But as a tribute to WW2, I think as they wore it and not as if the wearer had prior service, that just doesn't add up.

"I just heard the echo of my a**hole slamming shut"

He was ok after I sent photos showing the final results but since then I triple check everything going on an expensive leather jacket.

Ah well, I got a set of CBI patches from you a while ago, which should be able to cover up all the holes (if I decide to take the 101st patches off).

A little off topic in this thread, but how did you get the stitch holes to disappear? It was discussed in a prior thread, but I don't remember seeing your method. I think JHG would find it of interest as he may need to do some stitch work repair if he changes sleeves with his 101st patch.

Just a mix of exterior brown caulking with some other components and auto body techniques. Sanding, re-filling, sanding again, then feathering in color with an airbrush.

It would just be a bit odd for someone to commemorate the U.S. Paratrooper as if a U.S. Paratrooper post service in my opinion. I would think only the vet himself would do that otherwise it's kinda stolen valor. Maybe I'm wrong. Sure hope I haven't been paying tribute to our nations heroes azz backwards all these years.

Stand By

One Too Many
I agree. That seemed a bit odd.....

It's getting difficult here... How can I get reply with quote?!

I know, it's all looking so new!
But if you log in, you'll see Reply in the bottom-right corner and click that (as I just did here with you) the quote appears and the reply box.

I cannot think of another site that is less open to change than the Lounge.:D

Ain't that the truth! Look at the Software Upgrade thread in the "Observation Bar". Yikes. One chap compares this new software to forum software from the 2000's. Not sure how anyone can claim that - the old software was like a move back to 1997 ;)
This new package contains all sorts of modern forum goodies that one can either use or ignore, but I find it - even in the "under construction" mode - heads and tails above the old...

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree. That seemed a bit odd.....

It's getting difficult here... How can I get reply with quote?!

As Stand By said, the "Reply" button will give a single quote. If one wishes to give multiple quotes, the "Quote" button will allow that.

What I can't figure out is why some of us are listed as an "Active Member," others are listed as a "New Member," and others are listed as "Member?" For example, Edward, who has been around for a number of years, and who has many more posts than I do, is listed as a "New Member."

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I cannot think of another site that is less open to change than the Lounge.:D

What can you expect from a bunch of guys who, by their very nature, prefer their jackets from the 1940s and their denim jeans from the 1950s ?! :)
Hey, I'm guilty as charged. I still use a flip-phone and prefer my vinyl/20th century hi-fi ! Sure, I love my internet radio in my room here and think it's really clever and brilliant to listen to radio from the UK, but it's piped through a lovely old mint Marantz 2235 receiver (in a case made of wood!) from 1975! So I'm getting there.
But I can see that the upgrade is an improvement and it'll all be second-nature again to everyone in no time.

Last edited:
So to get back on topic and away from the character deformation. Here's a Paratrooper jacket that just arrived. The guy bought patches from me a while back and had some tailor shop apply them to his jacket. Not bad as far as placement goes and you can see that his choice was to represent a war time jacket as opposed to a display of prior service. Notice the patches were not stitched on as they were intended to be. The knucklehead did not use the outer perimeter brown border and stitched through the actual insignia to attach them leaving the border loose and floppy looking. So my happy customer sent it to me for fixing. I will simply stitch down the brown around the perimeter with a nice contrasting stitch in tan, it looks great that way. Anyway, just thought I would illustrate how it should be done. To reverse the SSI is just wrong for someone paying tribute to Paratroopers of WW2 and appropriate for a combat veteran only.

ab1.jpg
ab2.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
So to get back on topic and away from the character deformation. Here's a Paratrooper jacket that just arrived. The guy bought patches from me a while back and had some tailor shop apply them to his jacket. Not bad as far as placement goes and you can see that his choice was to represent a war time jacket as opposed to a display of prior service. Notice the patches were not stitched on as they were intended to be. The knucklehead did not use the outer perimeter brown border and stitched through the actual insignia to attach them leaving the border loose and floppy looking. So my happy customer sent it to me for fixing. I will simply stitch down the brown around the perimeter with a nice contrasting stitch in tan, it looks great that way. Anyway, just thought I would illustrate how it should be done. To reverse the SSI is just wrong for someone paying tribute to Paratroopers of WW2 and appropriate for a combat veteran only.

View attachment 37888 View attachment 37889

Well look, if you're going to publicly claim I'm defaming your character, and that you never wrote that you and Diamond Dave were 'serving your country' by making and selling patches and caps, then get a lawyer,because I have screen caps of your post saying that before you went back and edited it out.
If you make claims against me again in public, I'll start with my lawyer. You might not care, but I don't think Diamond Dave and John Chapman want to get dragged into legal proceedings.

Yes I am to answer your question, and I have two for you, Are you freakin serious? and are you 10? I am in touch regularly with both of them and quite a good relationship is in place. There has been no mention of you (whoever you are) or that thread since whenever it happened (can't even remember) So I'm sure they'll let me know in the event you get some litigation going, or maybe I can expect a call from the Elementary School Guidance Councelor?

You were on my ignore list but I couldn't help myself this one time, I have most certainly learned my lesson with this display of intelligence. I promise to ignore you completely now.

All be advised that I do apply patches to jackets correctly if needed.

And here's another just to show how the Air Corps arranged their jackets, I've seen countless times how the AAF HQ is placed on the wearers left shoulder and the current unit on the right. They loosely followed the regulations if followed at all. You'll find many different combinations.

009_6.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails