Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regretting to put patches on my new Aero A-2......

The back
010_7.JPG

Great, and the bickering continues here as well...:rolleyes:
Sorry Scott, I am making use of the ignore list in both places and just trying to follow this thread. Maybe they could just leave me alone? Be advised all that I have no idea what's being said, I am not even looking as I compare it to and have as much interest in it as running around the block 20 times. I think it takes two to bicker, and only one to ramble.

Edward

Bartender
Ha, well... all depends on how much you want to spend. Money no object, join the waiting list for one of John's GoodWears (alas until we see another dollar crash like circa 2007, I'll not be able to stretch to that). Of the UK makers, ELC have the edge on accuracy, it seems, though in my experience Aero provide just as good a jacket in terms of a garment; whether the extra coin is worth it to you for the additional accuracy is a personal choice. I'm inclined to compromise a bit myself, being as I'm not a re-enactor, and in any case the most accurate USAAF uniform in the world won't disguise that as a middle aged, bald guy I'm certainly not 'period accurate' USAAF material. ;) The Bill Kelsos look nice and have received a positive reaction around here. If they worked out significantly cheaper than an Aero Real Deal, I'd be tempted to try one. At present they're about the same price, by the time you pay postage to London, what with the pound weakagainst the Euro. All depends what you want, really. To be honest, I can't see myself ever paying for an A2 what I could have the likes of an Aero halfbelt for, but again that's all subjective.

For future reference, as an addendum which is hopefully helpful to anyone combing this thread in the future...

Goodwear continue to be outstanding, and ELC also very nice. Aero have, since Ken returned and reviewed their A2 patterns working with John from Goodwear, upped their game and have patterns as tight as anyone.

What I can't figure out is why some of us are listed as an "Active Member," others are listed as a "New Member," and others are listed as "Member?" For example, Edward, who has been around for a number of years, and who has many more posts than I do, is listed as a "New Member."

Some of these thnigs have to be reset manually by the management; it's just taking a few days for them to do it all in their spare time. ;)

What can you expect from a bunch of guys who, by their very nature, prefer their jackets from the 1940s and their denim jeans from the 1950s ?! :)
Hey, I'm guilty as charged. I still use a flip-phone and prefer my vinyl/20th century hi-fi ! Sure, I love my internet radio in my room here and think it's really clever and brilliant to listen to radio from the UK, but it's piped through a lovely old mint Marantz 2235 receiver (in a case made of wood!) from 1975! So I'm getting there.
But I can see that the upgrade is an improvement and it'll all be second-nature again to everyone in no time.

Oh, my. People round here can diss the seventies all they want: it was an absolute golden era for hi fi equipment. I've got a later seventies Pioneer, myself (an 890 something if memory serves), but a 2270 is the dream. If ever I see one at the right price, tohugh, there are quite a few Marantzes might follow me home....

Stand By

One Too Many
Oh, my. People round here can diss the seventies all they want: it was an absolute golden era for hi fi equipment. I've got a later seventies Pioneer, myself (an 890 something if memory serves), but a 2270 is the dream. If ever I see one at the right price, tohugh, there are quite a few Marantzes might follow me home....

Absolutely, Edward. The internet radio is beamed in via an i-Phone 4S, so the old Marantz adds a lovely measure of depth and that delicious Marantz warmth to the digital detail. It's just stereophonic-tastic, mate! Not 'alf!

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Thanks mate!

Well, my poor A-2 is still hanging inside my wardrobe unfortunately. I also don't think I need to hide the holes if I can pick myself up
to exchange the patches that I obtained from you as they are larger than the original ones.

Well that was about six years ago maybe more and I haven't heard back. Did a few others and I actually give it some serious stress test afterwards to make sure it's a solid fix and also to ad some grain (this helps a little disguising whatever imperfections do remain) It is a mix of that Seen on TV leather repair gunk, brown exterior calking, and I think I mixed in a little brown acrylic paint. The mixture was squished into the holes and made flush like a drywall repair. Stuff dips as it dries so re-apply as necessary, sand etc. Just like drywall repair or auto body. Nothing really to go wrong in theory, shouldn't crack upon flexing as it is only the hole with filler, no surface.

Thanks mate!

Well, my poor A-2 is still hanging inside my wardrobe unfortunately. I also don't think I need to hide the holes if I can pick myself up
to exchange the patches that I obtained from you as they are larger than the original ones.
I can take care of that for you in the near future, just PM me if you ever decide to. I'll be purchasing a machine that reaches right up sleeves to apply patches.

There's that TV thing for repairing leather but it doesn't work quite the way they say it does. And the caulking alone isn't strong enough but does have certain qualities that I wanted in the mixture. I came up with the technique using experience with many different art products and skills. From making models and painting to auto body. Probably a little too much thought went into making it work and not enough about if it was practical. Just not something I'd offer regularly as it just takes too much time and effort.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Why does the jacket look seal brown 'before' and russet 'after'.
Can nobody else see that?

Stand By

One Too Many
I see it too and had wondered about that, but then I just assumed it was lighting. I've just posted photos of my new black lambswool sweater and on one it looks most assuredly like a dark slate grey - but on the next photo, it's very black, which it is.
I had a terrible time getting the rest of my photos from the back yard to look right without too much brightness. So much for the Auto setting. But I'm not complaining. I recall the days when 35mm film would go off to the chemist for developing and the photos would come back a week later and look either too dark or too bright and washed out. Digital is great!

Last edited:
Have you guys not taken pics of the same jacket and have it look 10 different colors? Please. I've seen other posts on this process he does and I don't think that it's a JFK thread fellas...man, TGIF ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails