Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remaking a WW2 version A2 Pilot jacket with nose art pait on the back

rustles

New in Town
Hi Fedora Lounge I assumed this is the right place to ask this but I am planning on putting together a ww2 style pilot jacket, I been looking at potential jackets on ebay (been making sure there's no seams on the back, just smooth like the originals) and worse case i may buy a miltec one. Anyways I was looking at some nose art such as the link below. I am contacting some people that could do the painting for me because I am not the best at art skills. And I know everything will look new and not worn with patina but that will take time as I wear it. I wanted to see what you guys thought and if you have any other ideas on what should be on the back. I know there's higher grade jackets but I'm trying to be friendly on my budget.

http://wearekoalasvintage.com/2013/09/sold-ebay-ww2-a2-leather-jacket-p-38-lightning/

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hi and welcome.
Depending on a persons preferences, style and personality as the basics I would try some of these.
If you yourself are a little flamboyant maybe a dashing semi naked maiden with lots of colour, maybe your country's flag in the background? Renditions can be super detailed or amateurish as it was during the painted jackets heyday. Maybe a simple single colour main design such as the example shown or highly detailed. Some airmen painted their own and not everyone was an amateur Vargas or Petty. How about a signpost if you fancy doing it yourself with some place names 'You' may have visited, though how authentic would that have been historically allowed is open to question, a lot of jackets been marked like this once a tour was completed.
I would advise against trying to age the painting with 'Dirty paint' as it looks so fake, father just wear the jacket a lot and use an enamel style paint rather than flexible acrylic so it will wear and chip off easier such as what appears in your example.
Well thats just a few ideas of mine, have a good look around and decide yourself and don't rush into it and you will probably be happier.

P.S as a new poster/member it may be an idea to introduce yourself to each page describing your interests and a little personality, nothing to detailed . There are some who's whole life revolves around forums and their interests and others like me whom have had a 40 year interest but only visit here once a day or less, then, as we all get to know you we can help you with your own posts etc.
Enjoy the forum it can be fun. Bye for now, John.

Technonut

Practically Family
Checking around with certain established sellers on the bay can yield promising results if you do not have particular artwork in mind. The seller who currently is offering this jacket: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Av...380987?hash=item33d9618cbb:g:xC4AAOSw13pZzX8F frequently has some pretty sweet A-2's for sale, both with and without artwork, up and down the price scale depending upon the maker. :)

While perhaps not exactly what you have in mind, the one linked above is one of the most authentic-looking Avirex A-2's I've seen in awhile. Nicely scalloped pocket flaps, fairly accurate artwork, single-piece back, sized fairly well for a 44, etc... Even the nomenclature label looks pretty good.. ;) Anyway, it may be worth your time to keep an eye on that particular seller's auctions. I noticed his prices for similar jackets (non high-end) are relatively inexpensive when the gavel falls.

EDIT: As far as having artwork done, I've heard good things about The Peters Group, and IMO, the prices aren't bad for the quality: http://www.peters-group.com/

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Practically Family
You can ask to draw your favorite WW2 aircraft .
I once really wanted an artist (who painted for me patches for my A-2) , make оn it backside C-47, but so far I have no ...

rustles

New in Town
Checking around with certain established sellers on the bay can yield promising results if you do not have particular artwork in mind. The seller who currently is offering this jacket: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Av...380987?hash=item33d9618cbb:g:xC4AAOSw13pZzX8F frequently has some pretty sweet A-2's for sale, both with and without artwork, up and down the price scale depending upon the maker. :)

While perhaps not exactly what you have in mind, the one linked above is one of the most authentic-looking Avirex A-2's I've seen in awhile. Nicely scalloped pocket flaps, fairly accurate artwork, single-piece back, sized fairly well for a 44, etc... Even the nomenclature label looks pretty good.. ;) Anyway, it may be worth your time to keep an eye on that particular seller's auctions. I noticed his prices for similar jackets (non high-end) are relatively inexpensive when the gavel falls.

EDIT: As far as having artwork done, I've heard good things about The Peters Group, and IMO, the prices aren't bad for the quality: http://www.peters-group.com/

Just checked and ye his prices are high, but im seeing how much it would cost for the design I asked about. I have 1 person who said they could do it or the guy on ebay who said that they can even print the art on the jacket i buy from them but i'm trying to see how it will look and asked for examples. But right now i'm gonna look at other designs. I want a copy of an original design from ww2 because they look very nice. I appreciate everyone's help and advice on here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk