Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reminiscing in the Modern Era

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Up until 1942 or 1943, the age for the draft in the U.S. was 21. There was a bit of a stink when it was lowered to 18, as a great many people felt that drafting 18 year olds was almost like drafting children. It does appear that the age we consider someone to be an adult varies based on a family's or a cultures safety and prosperity. One of my grandfathers (born in 1906) was essentially supported by his mother until he was well into his 20's. Sure, he was working for her, technically "learning the family business", but while he was paid the same amount anyone else would have gotten for the same position, he was compensated well beyond that in terms of education, housing, and other "luxuries"(travel, car, fun). My other grandfather was roughly the same age, but he had to drop out of school in the 7th grade to get a job to help support his family. Folks who have less have always had to grow up faster.

I started this before Harp posted. I DON"T think 18 year olds are children.
I was really ticked that at military training I took, all I could have was beer, cuz I was under 21. I drink wine and liquor.:)

I'm not sure what the solution for today's in-between generation is. Two problems are that their really aren't many jobs for the kid who drops out of the education system that can lead to something better.

Then there's the 30 year old who has an education and should be working, but is too busy trying to find his "passion" in life to be bothered meeting his responsibilities. Okay that last is a guy I know with a wife and a mortgage. People like him should just be dragged by their long hair to the public square and kicked. Maybe have a scarlet "D" for doofuss tacked to their shirt- with a nail gun.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Folks who have less have always had to grow up faster.

I'm not sure what the solution for today's in-between generation is. Two problems are that their really aren't many jobs for the kid who drops out of the education system that can lead to something better...

It's another example of the system further squashing those who are already down. A lot of the "protections" turn out to only protect those who already have a safety net, and they take away opportunities for others.

The new credit card laws I believe hurt young individuals who are responsible and want to start building their credit, but don't have a cosigner (foster kids, some parents won't cosign) or don't have someone with credit or decent credit to cosign. Yes, it is wonderful that college students can't get a credit card without an income and rack up $20,000 of debt, but it doesn't help people who have no other way of building credit.

Personally, I'd love to see education after high school taxpayer supported more strongly by some means. That includes college, technical training, and trade training. Preferably by a work-system, where a person must agree to work in their profession in a disadvantaged spot (or provide free services in addition to working in a financially stable area) for a set period of time. I'd support paying for dorm-like housing as well, particularly for those aged 18-20 who are in some educational/ training program and taking it seriously. I'd like to see small business loans more readily accessibly too.

I have to admit, part of me personally is irritated by the raising of adulthood to age 21, simply because I don't want to be responsible for my kids until age 21. :p Especially if s/he is a nitwit.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I don't want to be responsible for my kids until age 21. :p Especially if s/he is a nitwit.

When prompted to get a job, s/he will look you square in the eye and tell you matter-of-factly that they just landed a job stuffing envelopes for $88/hour...

At the very least, you'll get get a tax-deduction for your 'dependent'.

I completely agree with you. I can't get one, because I'm 20 and am trying to build my credit score. It's been rough.

I'd hate to think I'm stuck raising my kids until age 21. At 18, I had to pay rent to live at home, have a job, buy my own food, have my own car, my own insurance. I had to take care of myself and rightly I should. I expect the same when I have kids.

The new credit card laws I believe hurt young individuals who are responsible and want to start building their credit, but don't have a cosigner (foster kids, some parents won't cosign) or don't have someone with credit or decent credit to cosign. Yes, it is wonderful that college students can't get a credit card without an income and rack up $20,000 of debt, but it doesn't help people who have no other way of building credit.

Personally, I'd love to see education after high school taxpayer supported more strongly by some means. That includes college, technical training, and trade training. Preferably by a work-system, where a person must agree to work in their profession in a disadvantaged spot (or provide free services in addition to working in a financially stable area) for a set period of time. I'd support paying for dorm-like housing as well, particularly for those aged 18-20 who are in some educational/ training program and taking it seriously. I'd like to see small business loans more readily accessibly too.

I have to admit, part of me personally is irritated by the raising of adulthood to age 21, simply because I don't want to be responsible for my kids until age 21. :p Especially if s/he is a nitwit.

Pompidou

One Too Many
The US really has no idea what age it thinks adulthood starts at. Talk to district attorney, and you can qualify for adulthood after a murder or two, regardless of age. You've gotta be 18 to die for your country, 21 to drink, and the age of consent ranges the gamut depending on what state you're in, with some states (and you wouldn't need too many guesses to figure out which), as low as 14 according to some sources, though I haven't the time to independently verify. So really, the whole concept of "adulthood" is whatever's most convenient at the time, for the specific need. You could make a baby an adult if it'd further the right cause. Science need never be involved. I doubt it has been yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran