Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing glue from leather + jacket identification

Novos

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Long time lurker 'round these parts, and have enjoyed the forum for a long time.

But I decided to post because I have a few questions.

Recently received a jacket with a glued + stitched patch on the leather. Took the patch off and there is this nasty white residue.
My question is what specific products & procedure is there for (if at all) removing this mess. I kind of need of a step-by-step here.

The jacket is also pretty musty, not too bad, but still unwearable. Any products to remove the stench, I've tried airing out in sunlight to no avail, and I'm anxious of using the lemon-peel freezer technique I use on other vintage kit. I've tried leather wax on musty leather before, and it does very little.

I also want people to weigh in on the era / where this jacket was produced. It's really a lightweight leather, maybe goat, and the main zipper (Zipp), and the pulls lead me to believe it might actually be from Germany, in the late 50s? What do you folks think? I know it's not the coolest jacket out there, but I like its vibe, and I'm into those 50-70s European (particularly German) leather designs.

7331584076_4f51b30409.jpg

7331574900_4baac86f05.jpg

7331575648_d32a490061.jpg

7331576410_a677edbb6d.jpg

Thanks!

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't know that you will ever get all of that off. Anything strong enough to remove the glue will probably damage the leather. Alcohol might work. It will dry out the leather if used long enough, but that is easily remedied.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It will probably always smell most of the tips don't work all that well. Best to find another dark and unabtrusive patch to cover the mess. Stitch it on. If alcohol doesn't easily remove the stain, it's permanent.

Novos

One of the Regulars
It will probably always smell most of the tips don't work all that well. Best to find another dark and unabtrusive patch to cover the mess. Stitch it on. If alcohol doesn't easily remove the stain, it's permanent.

Thanks everyone for the info so far, do you just mean just rubbing alcohol?

Novos

One of the Regulars
Whelp, it looks as though I'm getting a patch sewn on, the rubbing alcohol didn't do much. Any ideas on the era of this jacket?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Apart from the Zipp zip its a dead ringer for a 1950s Kett I have hanging in my wardrobe. Everything about it is the same looking at the pics, even the brass poppers and gold coloured lining.
As to the leather are you sure it's not napper lamb?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff