Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reno Air Races on Sept. 13 2011

Hey Everyone!

The Reno National Air Races will be here soon! September 13, 2011 at the Stead Airport, north of Reno on I-395. If you have never been there, here is your chance! This is without a doubt the fastest motor sport in the world. I have been privileged to be a volunteer for the Air Races for the last 26 years, working as ramp security. I have always been amazed of the things that I and thousands of airplane fans have seen at the races. There are many things to see at the races such as the airshows, aerobatic teams, military aircraft, historic aircraft displays, many venders selling almost anything related to aircraft, flight simulators, going into the pits to watch the pilots and their crews working on their airplanes,...I could go on and on. Check out the many youtube videos on the Air races...some are really good! I would put them on this thread...if I knew how...but I don't, sorry.

Jim

Last edited:
[video=youtube;OvnizXf4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvnizXf4g[/video]
The best time to attend would be Thursday through Sunday...being that the pilots really start to open up to make their "Brackets" Gold, silver and bronze races. But I have to be there early...usually on a Sunday or Monday before the races start on Wednesday. Some people like to show up early...during time trials...Sunday through Tuesday...less people and you get to see a lot more than during the races. I also tell people who are comming to the Air Races for the first time...to buy the general admission tickets...they are a heck of a lot cheaper and you still get to see just as much flying and racing as if you paid for the V.I.P tickets. Then I tell them to go to Section 3 in the grand stands. Now Section 3...lets say they are the ambassadors to the air racing scene. If you want to know anything and everything about air racing these are the people to hang out with! You can't miss them either...most of the Section 3 group all wear a bright orange tee shirts saying Reno Air Racing Section 3 and to become a member of this very prestigious alumni is...buy their tee shirt and hang out with them! Now what most people don't know is that after the days racing is over...usually about dusk...the pilots and crews have a big BBQ with live music and dancing right there at the airport! There are camp sites for those who want to stay near the airport and not spend a lot of money on hotels which if you want a hotel you need to act now to find one.

Have any questions just list them on this thread.

Jim

Last edited:
Tickets used to be about $20.00 per day for general admission and pit passes also $20.00 a day...lots of food venders too! Bring warm clothes for the mornings...it gets kinda cold at almost 5,000 feet there at the old airport.

Jim

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Valley Of Speed

You used to be able to watch the Reno races for free a the fence line on the Valley Of Speed! [video=youtube;VPAgd_f96Ak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPAgd_f96Ak&NR=1[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Power

My two favorite Reno Videos! The first is Steadfast, a modified Yak 11 with a Pratt & Whitney R2000. The second is September Fury doing a night run up, looking right up the stacks of the Wright R3350. It's fun to listen to the different engines at the races, the Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 sound like they are going to explode at any moment, The Pratt & Whitney R4360 28 cylinder engines sound like they are out for a Sunday cruse and the Wright R3350 18 cylinder engines, well you can fill the engine pulses hitting your chest from a quarter of a mile! [video=youtube;EBS4jnlb6vI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBS4jnlb6vI[/video] [video=youtube;h57cjPAmtF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57cjPAmtF8[/video]

Yes sir! There is nothing...I repeat...nothing like the sound of 8 screaming WWII piston engined fighters flying down the valley of speed... turning around pylon number 8 heading for home at treetop level doing almost 500 m.p.h.! If you know where the Tee hangers are on the west side of Stead Airport after turn 8...that is the position I hold during the races...right next to the taxi lane and take off for the bi-plane and sport class. It's about a hundred yards from their flight pattern on the straightaway to the checkered pylon. You want to feel the ground shake under your feet...stand there! We are placed there by the tee hangers, by the FAA and the Air Race Association, to keep the photographers and the spectators away from that area during the jet and unlimited races due to the "Rare Bear's" record breaking lap of 516 m.p.h. back in '04. They now call that corner of the airport the "Scatter Zone"!...(Explanation not needed). That first video is pretty close to the scatter zone...yep...can't park there anymore. Great videos Stearmen... I wish I knew how to do that as there is a really good video on youtube of the '08 unlimited race...check it out!

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner