Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repairing A Hole In A Felt Fur Hat

Anubis

Familiar Face
So there's 3 products bo Nash, super mend, and those mending crystals on eBay

And it might honestly be the only way possible to permanently fix a hole are large moth divot in a hat.. besides from what I've read about refelting the hole with a felting needle.. I've never seen it work though.

I've also seen a needle used like others have talked about to lift the felt up and bend it in with the perimeter of the divot, I've only seen it work good on smaller ones or shallow divots larger ones when brushed unbrushes the spot that was fixed..

So all in all besides refelting with a felting needle (never seen it done though) these 3 products might be a fix to this

Does anyone have like a practice work hat they'd be willing to try it on ? Magus might be on to something here that was over looked..

And if it works I've seen dozens of post about fixing moth divots, and it is a common problem I've seen many hats with moth damage.

Anubis

Familiar Face
Not to knock on the glue and stuff method but I bumped this thread trying to bring attention to these mending crystsls/powder

We all have vintage hats.. what if the hat winds up with someone elsed down the road, if it's dry cleaned or tossed in naphtha you can be sure that glue is gonna break down and the person will be left with the old hole,..

I've already seen Art say he's worked on hats for people that had tape in them and holes refilled and unfortunately he didn't know until he took on the job..

This mending powder all 3 brands say it can be dry cleaned washed etc, whatever there using is heat activated at a very high temperature and won't break down in dry cleaning or chemical baths or washing..

So I really want to bring light that it might work and try to find out, if it does work it's probably the best way to repair s hole for the hats "quality if left"

Not to knock any other methods but there like putting on make

up, or "destination therapy"

This might actually mend a hole in the hats body so to speak..

Scotty wouldn't it be better if someone were to find out this worked good? Then instead of doing glue surgery on your fed3 you could cut a chunk of felt out of the inside stuff it in the hole toss some mending powder on it and hot it with the iron quick ?

I've seen the smallest amount of glue sometimes make a hole worse, even clear glues change the shade of color even when sanded/pounced because of the glue it held the wrong color

I've also seen plugs that looked good that only a small amount of the fibers like 50% bonded and if someone brushed the hat it pulled the plug out.. I've rarely seen it a permanent solution.. and yea it's better then having a hole

However this might be an overlooked thing that's easy to do that is a permanent solution..

Anubis

Familiar Face
if nobody else wants to give it a shot I'm going to eventually try it, I don't have a hat I don't really care about.. the product is relatively cheap so whenever I run into a hat I can try it on I plan to..

Someone can even try on brim trimmings we'd just need to test it on some fur an inch by an inch and a half strip would work for a test..

if nobody else wants to give it a shot I'm going to eventually try it, I don't have a hat I don't really care about.. the product is relatively cheap so whenever I run into a hat I can try it on I plan to..

Someone can even try on brim trimmings we'd just need to test it on some fur an inch by an inch and a half strip would work for a test..
I had success mending a hole in the brim caused by a brain dead clerk and a label gun. Using my set of Winchester felt swatches I used my leather hole punch to cut a plug slightly larger than the hole in a matching swatch. A little glue on the rim of the hole..insert plug....let dry and then a light sanding.....voila....invisible mend.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Scotty wouldn't it be better if someone were to find out this worked good? Then instead of doing glue surgery on your fed3 you could cut a chunk of felt out of the inside stuff it in the hole toss some mending powder on it and hot it with the iron quick ?

Not knocking the product you're asking about, but in a thread about patching hat holes, the stand-by methods are going to pop up.

I, too, am interested in whether or not this product works, and how well.

DOGMAN

One Too Many

I have plenty of trimmed brims I could sent you a piece of felt to try it on.

Anubis

Familiar Face
I have plenty of trimmed brims I could sent you a piece of felt to try it on.

Hey I'm in the Cleveland area also I could probably meet up with you to get it or I can I'm you a shipping address I want to try it

The thing I'm interested most about it is it says it can be dry cleaned in different solvents

I know super glue and other glues will break down in solvents including petroleum products

And the glue in lighter color seems to leave a slight discoloration.

I've seen people use this mending powder and it was very hard to see where the work was done..

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I'm bumping this instead of starting a new post
It's called super mend, I remember it on tv..

Here's an Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/bonding-powder-SUPERMEND-countries-container/dp/B00FK86OSY

They also have mending crystals on eBay, same type of thing..

My questions now.. has anyone tried this?

Do you think it would work ?

Can anyone or would anyone be willing to test it ?

The idea would be to cut a round plug out of the hat behind the leather sweatband, literally a hole chunk not just fibers using a hobby razor knife, then fallow ing the mending powder instructions with the iron on a wool setting, apparently it takes 5 to 10 seconds of heat..

Then to lightly sand the repaired area with a sanding sponge or a harder bristle brush, a little more farmer then a horse hair brush to blend it..

Then you'd have a repair that could be dry cleaned down the road, all these glue fixes would possibly break down in dry cleaning solvents or petroleum based solvents apparently this says it can be dry cleaned..
Greetings Anubis et al:
I’ll try it. I just ordered the Supermend Powder. I have just the right hats to give it a go. Big hole and little hole. If it doesn’t work on hats i can think of other uses.
I’ll update once i do it. We see.
Be well. Bowen

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Hey I'm in the Cleveland area also I could probably meet up with you to get it or I can I'm you a shipping address I want to try it

The thing I'm interested most about it is it says it can be dry cleaned in different solvents

I know super glue and other glues will break down in solvents including petroleum products

And the glue in lighter color seems to leave a slight discoloration.

I've seen people use this mending powder and it was very hard to see where the work was done..
I'm in Cuyahoga falls.I left you a PM.

Last edited:

Anubis

Familiar Face
Cool abba let us know how it works.. if you can take before and after pics even if it becomes a mess lol

I'll shoot you a reply DOGMAN let me see what I'm doing in the next few days coming up I'll know later today, it might be easiuer to throw it in a plan white envelope and stick a stamp on it but I'll let you know

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to bump this old thread as well. Perhaps the planned "tutorial" really belonged here. I'll let the bartenders decide.
They were pretty good at moving my posts around when I first registered. I hadn't figured out the format, and was posting in the wrong places, but I had a suspicion they were nudging each other and asking, "How long do you think it will take him to find this one?" They are so good at moving posts they could probably merge the threads.
(Hint, Hint)

_Dame_

New in Town
Hi everyone,

Badge holes...

I have the opportunity to buy a cattleman, in my size, at a reasonable price. Only problem, it comes with a lot of badges, all pinned on side of the hat.

Can you repair the holes / manipulate the felt to close the holes?

Edward

Bartender
Greetings Anubis et al:
I’ll try it. I just ordered the Supermend Powder. I have just the right hats to give it a go. Big hole and little hole. If it doesn’t work on hats i can think of other uses.
I’ll update once i do it. We see.
Be well. Bowen

Interested in how this went.... I have a hat with moth grazes on the crown, and one with a small hole through the brim a late cat made. (Not why she's late! A just discovered little reminder eight months after she passed...). Have just ordered some of this stuff.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ