Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repairing suit trousers

Status
Not open for further replies.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I have a medium grey worsted wool suit with pinstripes. The trousers are wearing out in the crotch area and I was wondering what will it cost to repair it and how the process is done.

Advice is appreciated.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Has anyone experienced this problem? Has anyone wore their trouser seat in a suit? Tell me what you did and how you repaired it.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Same problem with a pair of brown, lighter-weight wool trousers from the 30's.
I have worn them so frequently (also on rough surfaces) that the crotch has become thinned out and now has two holes.

I will probably put some gaze fabric with adhesive iron-on glue on the inside, and sew a matching patch of fabric on the crotch area.
Fortunately it's the most hidden area of the trousers crotch, which won't be seen when walking or sitting.

But I am open to better suggestions.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
There are no holes in my trousers yet, but the stiching that hold the seat/crotch together seem to be falling apart. Can my tailor just sew them back up/ reinforce them? I'm going to ask them tomorrow.

Last edited:

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Same problem with a pair of brown, lighter-weight wool trousers from the 30's.
I have worn them so frequently (also on rough surfaces) that the crotch has become thinned out and now has two holes.

I will probably put some gaze fabric with adhesive iron-on glue on the inside, and sew a matching patch of fabric on the crotch area.
Fortunately it's the most hidden area of the trousers crotch, which won't be seen when walking or sitting.

But I am open to better suggestions.

Where can I get matching fabric from my trousers? Is there any place on my trousers where I can "remove" extra fabric which is not visible to the public? Sorry if I'm not making any sense.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Finding fabric from the trousers themselves is indeed difficult.
I will use a very similar, but different piece of cloth.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Finding fabric from the trousers themselves is indeed difficult.
I will use a very similar, but different piece of cloth.

I won't mind if I have to use a different fabric to repair my trousers. I'll probably try to match the fabric as closely as possible, if not slightly darker will do.

Besides, suits are made to be worn. You can't just throw the entire suit out when a small part wears out.

Claudio

Vendor
try checking if there is excess fabric in the hem area of the trouser. That said, its inbetween your legs so you will be hard pushed if anyone notices it to be honest. Patch it up form the inside with the closest fabric you can find and end of.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
try checking if there is excess fabric in the hem area of the trouser. That said, its inbetween your legs so you will be hard pushed if anyone notices it to be honest. Patch it up form the inside with the closest fabric you can find and end of.

I've been exaggerating the damage of my trousers. They should be good for at least another 100 wears. I'll let you guys know how the future repair turns out.

EDIT: I plan on using pure black wool, as a patch for my trousers. To match it with my shoes =).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner