Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing A-2 knits

Banzai

Familiar Face
Theoretically, how many times could this be done before the jacket is shot? I would imagine that, with leather, you can't just keep re-stitching over the same track; you'll just chew through it at some point. So the next option is that each time you replace you make the jacket shorter?

I was eyeing a jacket on e-bay that needs new knits (say that five times fast!), and it got me to wondering about this.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm pretty sure that Johnson Leathers can do the job just like you want (and probably could do it standing on their heads). Give them a call and email them pictures before you connect if possible.

Banzai

Familiar Face
I bet they can. I was just wondering, out of curiosity, how many times that can be done before the jacket is shot. Once probably isn't a big deal. Probably not twice. But at what point has the leather been re-stitched to the point where it's just done?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It can be done 7 times before they tear away like cheap toilet paper.

There is of course no such calculable figure since, leather variety, tanning, age of leather, make of jacket, quality of knits, thread variations, needle used, along with the machinist's skill will significantly impact. If necessary a good machinist is able to use the same holes to prevent the leather from becoming overly perforated. There may also be surplus leather inside the cuff that can allow for a new place for the cuff to attach.

In the end, how many times will the knits need replacing in a lifetime? Twice? Three times? More? That's the question at the heart of your question.

Last edited:

Banzai

Familiar Face
Thanks. I don't think it was a "real" question per se, with practical application. It's just a thought I had as I was looking at this ebay find.

Of course, if the answer was "only once", then it would quickly change from academic musing to practical concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart