Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing a ribbon on a hat

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I fixed the images here, and deleted the other thread, just to keep it all in one spot (believe me, you'll thank me in six months).

THANK YOU for doing those pictures. Excellent instructions.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Thank you very much

Thank you for the help, and hope this tutorial can be useful for the community

Saludos from Mexicali

Fortino

Johnnysan

One Too Many
The photos from Fortino's original tutorial aren't displaying any more. Fortino - can you make them available again or does anyone else have them saved somewhere? It would be a shame to lose this information!

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Following the excellent tutorial on ribbon replacement posted by brother Fortino, I decided to dress up a Bee Milan Straw that I picked up at a local antique shop for a few bucks.

The original ribbon was 3/8" wide and brown. Although it looks OK in this photo, it was beginning to fade and fray a bit around the edges.

Lounge_Bee_Old.jpg

I opted for a wider ribbon - a 2" grosgain in dark golden taupe color. I am really pleased with how this changed the whole look of the hat.

Lounge_Bee_New.jpg

Although my needlework will likely never be as fine as Fortino's, I think that the ribbon is a passable first try and hopefully, my skills will improve with future attempts. (My four-year-old daughter called it "beautiful." I wouldn't go quite that far!)

Lounge_Bee_Detail.jpg

The main thing is that I am now no longer afraid to give rennoavtion a try. Thanks to Fortino and everyone else who has posted volumes of tips along the way! :)

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Thanks for all of the very kind compliments everyone. Trust me, if I can do this...anyone can! Up to this point, my experience with a needle and thread has been limited to sewing buttons on a shirt when no one else was available to do so.

It definitely helped to start out with a cheap hat, too. I'm certain that I would not have picked one of my favorites to be my first project hat.

deanglen said:
Well done! Have you thought of adding a little fold under the tie over?

Actually, I did do this, Dean, but I didn't pinch enough fabric to make the fold noticeable. I opted against ripping out the stitches and doing it over and just sewed it in place, as is.

Just for reference, the total time on this was probably in the ballpark of a couple of hours. Again, thanks for all the compliments!

P.S. - Colby Jack: Great avatar! Reminds me of my own daughter who is about the same age and who also likes to model daddy's hats!

fatwoul

Practically Family
Johnnysan said:

Excellent work, Johnnysan. I fully intend to <strike>steal</strike> pay tribute to this bow design on one of my hats some time.

Thanks for showing.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
First tiem ribbon replacement

Great job , you really did it good, I am very glad being helpfull to the Lounge members.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Fortino37

Rafal

New in Town
Hi All,

Is it possible for a person to replace a ribbon without taking it to a hat shop? If so, how would one go about it? Where can ribbons be purchased?

Cheers,

Rafal

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Rafal, the best searching tip I can give you is to use Google instead of the search feature on this site. Type in what you're searching for and add site:thefedoralounge.com to it, and you'll hit paydirt every time--if what you're searching for has ever been discussed on this forum, which it more than likely has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred