Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing a ribbon on a hat

Rafal

New in Town
Thanks guys,

That's great info. Looks like it's something I should be able to do myself. Thanks for the searching tips too.

Cheers,

Rafal

frussell

One Too Many
Good Post JDB

Mr. Benson's link has what is missing in some other tutorials. The issue of curling or stretching the ribbon so that it molds to the shape of the crown is not always discussed. I learned by trial and error that unless I curled a ribbon in a bit of a half moon shape, it would gap on even the straightest crown. Strangely, I recently took an eBay acquisition into my local seamstress, just to see if she could replace a ribbon. I told her she might need to curl the ribbon, and she said she didn't think so, and knew exactly how she would do it. When I went back, she said "You know, you were right, I ended up having to curve the ribbon in order to fit the shape of the hat." Some ribbons will not curve well. Petersham seems to be a good option, and is what I've used recently. Good luck, Frank.

fmw

One Too Many
No, but if Fortino would like to send the images to me, I'll put them up on my web server for eternity.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Found a couple

Here are 2 of the original pics... couldn't find the larger size of the second one.

bow1_4.jpg

bow_5_8.jpg

the Milliner

New in Town
I am a milliner and block hats all the time. In school and in many businesses, a hot box is used to steam. This is an open cube of wood covered in canvas that is placed over live steam or even a Jiffy Steamer. The hat sits on slats in the box. Most people don't have access to this. I have a Jiffy Steamer but it is not my go-to steam source. Instead I use a $10 hand steamer. First I mull the hat - lightly spray w water and place in a plastic bag to soften. This can be speeded up in the microwave. (Yep, the microwave. Make sure there are no pins or metal still in the hat) Then I turn on my steamer, put the hat on top and put a big plastic bag over it to steam. The bag inflates and gets hot and the material becomes soft and pliable and ready for blocking. I block a lot and this set-up is great for me.

Now I have a question. I want to know how to do a mans hat ribbon and bow? I saw the tutorial (excellent!) but there are other bows that I see. Most commonly, the bows all seem to be tacked down in the corners and the center of the bow looks like it gathers the hat band as well as the bow. The center ribbon looks almost like it is sewn on first. Is this true? Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks so much and if anyone has any blocking questions, I would be happy to try to answer.

Last edited:

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
help with replaceing my leather head band sweat band

hi gang

i bought a harry levinson style #617 fur felt homburg fedora and other than a lil staining on the silk lineing and the head band missing its in great shape .
i only paid $5 for it and im trying to find a way to replace the leather head band or sweat band .
i live in central indiana and any help is appreciated
thanks
charlie

ftlum

New in Town
Fedora ribbon replacement

Hi All.

I've got a Dorfman-Pacific fedora (IJ559) and was trying to replace the ribbon. I took off the Indiana Jones logo pin and it left some holes in the bow area.

I wanted to get a replacement ribbon, but apparently the Dorfman Pacific people themselves are just a wholesaler and couldn't help me. The retailers I've contacted only sell the hats. One suggested going to a fabric store and having a tailor put on the ribbon, but is there a better option? I'm not sure how hard it would be for them to make the bow look as good or for me to find the same ribbon color as before.

thanks in advance,

Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925