Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing a ribbon on a hat

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Hi All.

I've got a Dorfman-Pacific fedora (IJ559) and was trying to replace the ribbon. I took off the Indiana Jones logo pin and it left some holes in the bow area.

I wanted to get a replacement ribbon, but apparently the Dorfman Pacific people themselves are just a wholesaler and couldn't help me. The retailers I've contacted only sell the hats. One suggested going to a fabric store and having a tailor put on the ribbon, but is there a better option? I'm not sure how hard it would be for them to make the bow look as good or for me to find the same ribbon color as before.

thanks in advance,

Frank

Someone here has mentioned in the past that pin holes in ribbon can be closed up with a drop or two of cold water.

ftlum

New in Town
Thanks. Unfortunately the "holes" are more like vertical slits.
I've ordered some vintage ribbon from Etsy and will give the diy method a try.

Frank

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Just curious, why are the bows made as a separate piece rather than being an actual bow that's part of the ribbon? When I replaced the ribbon on my boater I just tied the ribbon ends into a real bow, ironed it flat, then tacked the corners and knot so that it would not come undone.
Boater_zpsd6e3eddd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

John Galt

Vendor
Some hats are done that way. Mr. Penman does this. Fletchet did this on a hat I once had, and there are others.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
ftlum, shop around on etsy or eBay for a vintage replacement ribbon.

BTW, what happened to the recent thread that was started about showcasing ribbon and bow work?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Maybe got "shut down" because too many "vendors" posting there?

Hmmm...I didn't notice that vendors were posting there, at least last when I looked. Maybe you're right. I just saw that it was up for a few days and then it was gone. Too bad. Seemed like it would have been a pretty good thread.

ftlum

New in Town
Hi Again.

I read somewhere that the ribbon will tighten if water and steam are applied. After I tack the ribbon (1950s rayon blend from Etsy) on, am I supposed to spray on water or steam it to make the ribbon fit better? Also, the tacking that came with my Dorfman Pacific looks terrible-- there are stitches right in the center of the ribbon in a random fashion. I presume the tacking stitches go at the top and bottom edges of the ribbon. Is that right? Also, how many tacking stitches are typically put down per edge? I've got an XL if that makes any difference.

Thanks again,

Frank

John Galt

Vendor
Frank, steam won't help that much if your hatband is too loose. Attach the bottom ends first, then the top of one side. Pull the ribbon tight against the body and if necessary, put a slight fold in it to take out the slack and have it "dive" under the bow (where the bow will be). The fold should hide under the bow. If this is done right, you only need a few tacking stitches at the bottom of the hatband (tiny & matching thread). I put these in last. I never put tacking stitches on the top side of a hatband. It tends to show, and the stitches can usually be seen if a narrower ribbon is ever desired.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Frank, steam won't help that much if your hatband is too loose. Attach the bottom ends first, then the top of one side. Pull the ribbon tight against the body and if necessary, put a slight fold in it to take out the slack and have it "dive" under the bow (where the bow will be). The fold should hide under the bow. If this is done right, you only need a few tacking stitches at the bottom of the hatband (tiny & matching thread). I put these in last. I never put tacking stitches on the top side of a hatband. It tends to show, and the stitches can usually be seen if a narrower ribbon is ever desired.

+1 I have to say that John Galt is a darn good mentor and he's always willing to help anyone who has questions. Also, Ole and kingrat are a couple other guys to source for questions. I appreciate all the help they've given me.

I do the tacking stitches on my ribbon work the same way John G. does, (but of course, I learned that from him ;) ). Very small stitches between the ribs of the grosgrain ribbon at the bottom. I don't put anything in the middle or at the top where they'll show. Definitely important to get matching thread.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
He's putting a stitch in to make the crease/fold shown in step 5. He showed the desired result first.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner