Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing a ribbon on a hat

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
How hard is it to replace a ribbon on a hat? I have a hat with a grey band but I think I would prefer a black one. Where do you even buy a new ribbon?

Blackjack

One Too Many
Uh yeah, they sell them alright but the one I got looked like it was torn off an old hat literaly! It was creased, ripped on both ends and had a small hole in it, all for about eighteen bucks. What a deal!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Getting a new ribbon on a hat is easy if you live near a store that renovates hats .
In Chicago , I know of Optimo Hats and in San Diego there is Western Hats works. In New York there is Palace hats . It takes ten second to change a band . Trying to do it yourself aint easy . Take it to a pro .

rip

New in Town
besdor said:
Getting a new ribbon on a hat is easy if you live near a store that renovates hats .
In Chicago , I know of Optimo Hats and in San Diego there is Western Hats works. In New York there is Palace hats . It takes ten second to change a band . Trying to do it yourself aint easy . Take it to a pro .
With the right ribbon, it can be quite easy. I'v bought several "hooked" ribbons from J&J Hatters in NY over the years, which consists of a proper length of ribbon, determined by hat size, with a bow on one end and flat on the other. If the hat has some age on it, it is important that the new ribbon is a bit wider than the old one because of the fading effects of sunlight on the hat.

On each end of the new ribbon is a pair of very small hooks. It's best to line up the position of the bow before starting so that it ends up in the correct place. The old ribbon is removed and the new one is hooked to the hat, starting with the flat end, laying the ribbon somewhat tightly around the crown, overlapping the hooked end and then hooking the bow end to the ribbon.

Depending upon the thickness of the hat material, the hooks might protrude through the hat and stick out behind the sweatband. In this case, the points of the hooks can be flattened out easily. Then it is advisable to take a couple of stitches with appropriately colored thread through the ribbon and crown of the hat to lock it into place. All this takes much less time to do than to describe.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
1. Look closely at your hat(s) and note how the ribbon is sewn on to it.

2. Carefully remove the old ribbon's shanks which attach it to the crown. An exacto knife should do the trick.

3. Place another ribbon where the old ribbon was. Your easiest bet is to use an old ribbon with a pre-tied bow; you can get one off of a trashed hat.

4. From the inside of the crown, down at the base, attach the bow and ribbon to the hat by sewing in new shanks where the old ones were. Start with the bow area and continue clockwise around the crown. Make sure the ribbon is snug around the crown; keep smoothing it and pulling it taut (but not too taut!)

5. Enjoy the results.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
If your hat has any taper, at all, don't try 100% polyester ribbon. You will end up greatly frustrated. The best bet is to pirate the ribbon and bow from another hat. If you must use new ribbon, make sure it is cotton/rayon. It will swirl when steamed, or wet, to fit the taper of the crown. Here's one source:

http://www.hatsupply.com/mens_supplies.htm

Others were recently posted in another thread dealing with this topic. Have fun!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I am copying that excellent tutorial here. Pictures are very helpful. Anyone else want to contribute?

I have an inexpensive Cuenca with a rawhide thin "ribbon" that forms a chin strap. My aim is to replace it with something more suitable for my wife to wear.

Here's the copied bit. Thanks Fortino37!

Fortino37 said:
This weekend decide to replace the ribbonband of my Mallory Sportabout, it was ruined and stained, fortunatly I bought few years a go In Guadalajara several ribbonbands and bows in different colors and tones, and one of them match my Mallory band, it is little wider but not much.

Tis is the Mallory with the original band and bow
normal_MallorySportabout2.jpg

I start taking off the old one and locating the spot where the bow has to be placed.
PICT0316.jpg

Fix the middle part of the bow to the crown, one stitch will be enough,
then have to stitch the left end of the band being sure that the bow will cover at least 1cm of the ribbon.
PICT0330.jpg

To fix the band you must be very precise and make very small stitches.
PICT0338.jpg

For the band you only need from 5 to 6 stitches to fix it to the crown.
PICT0335.jpg

Once the band is fixed you can proceed with the bow
PICT03399.jpg

6 stitches needed to end the bow
PICT0337.jpg

And voila!!!!!!!!
normal_PICT0333.jpg

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Replacing the ribbon on a hat

I'll try to do it as soon as possible just remember that the bow in ladies hats is located usually at the right side of the crown, and in gentleman at the left.

Saludos from Mexico

Fortino 37

Fortino37

Familiar Face
How to make a bow

I'll gonna create a new thread to desplay the pictures for some reason have problems to show them.

Fortino

Ande1964

Practically Family
Thanks!

Great tutorial! I eagerly await the bow pictures.

Now, if we could just get such a thing done for sweat band stitching.

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR