Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Report Card on the new Borsalino Como II

SheikhDaoud

New in Town
Hi guys,

I just returned from Bolivia, toting my brand new gray Borsalino Como II which I purchased here in Brooklyn right before I left. I wore the hat every day, sometimes during the day, always at night. As it is winter in La Paz, there was no rain, so I never had to worry about getting it wet. After the first few days, I found that the hat frequently seemed to wilt, and the pinch always seemed to get out of shape (no, I never take off my hat by the pinch). It's also amazing how dirty it seems to have gotten from just ordinary dust (Steve, can I bring it by for a cleaning?). All in all, I can see what some of you mean when you write about Borsalino going down in quality. The old Borsalinos I used to see men (and women) wearing in La Paz 10 or 15 years ago have given way to cheap imitations made of sheep's wool...the locals can simply no longer afford the real thing, and they are saying that it is not worth it anyway.

By way of an anecdote, I walked into a milliner in La Paz one day and the proprietor asked to see my hat, because she said it had been a while since she had touched a real Borsalino. I gave it her and said, "it's rabbit and hare, I think," and she kept rubbing it and shaking her head repeating, "I don't think so, Senor, I don't think so." She pulled out another hat apparently made of rabbit and made me compare and there was a difference, but who am I to dispute what Borsalino is using to make its felt Fedoras.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Reply to your report card

Hello Sheik and the rest of you Lounge Lurkers;

I too have gotten a pair of Borsalino Comos (a Como in light camel and a Como II in Olive green) at about the same time you got yours. I got one from
Steven ( our besdor) and the other from his dad, Stanley, the Dean of the New York hatters.

I find both hats to have a soft hand to them and both hold their shape well after a good deal of wearing. I find them to be really fine hats as with just about every Borsalino I have gotten.

As a newbie and first poster here on FL, I am a firm believer of supporting
our member vendors and I have gotten great service, pleasure, and quality goods from all.

Collecting has been in my blood since my childhood and it has always bordered on obscession. It has been my belief that one should acquire the best he or she can afford, and should your collection consist of one great object, you have a great collection.

Living in Brooklyn, I have had the good fortune of visiting Besdor's store and the other branch where his Dad Stanley is at the helm. They are a treasure trove of hats. I have even found, with the help of Besdor a couple of incredible Borsalinos for my wife. When you see Besdor's collection of hats and hat ephemera you will definitely drool. Bencraft is a must see for any Lounger who happens to come to New York. A visit to Bencraft, lunch at Fornino for pizza, a trip to the ATM machine, another visit to Bencraft and dinner at Peter Luger's Steakhouse is New York at its best!

I really love hats, and the friendships I have made since I have discovered FL are really something special. Art Fawcett has provided me with a fantastic barter opportunity; I send him money and he sends me hats, each better than the last. His advice, counsel, friendship and masterful designs are really appreciated. Sharpetoys has provided me with education and advice and has given me great guidance. Fedora has been a great advocate of not only the Indy genre but in many aspects of the fine fedora. I already have the first of my F & G's from him and look forward to more .

I thank you fellow Loungers for permitting me to hang out in your midst, and I again thank all the FL friends I have made and hope to have this list of friends multiply.

analogist

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We want our customers to be 100% satisfied ,so next time you are in New York come in for your free steaming Shiek.
As for the quality of Borsalino hats of today ,the problem is that the lighter colors tend to come out softer than the darker colors we sell. Colors like Taupe and light gray are softer than brown and navy blue . I was told it has to do with the dyeing process and chemicals that make up the hat .
Perhaps someone like Art would know better . He could show Borsalino a thing or two about quality !!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think it's less a problem with the color and more a problem with the felting process. You can do a search here and see what comes up, though when it comes to modern Borsalino, they don't stand up when put against Akubra or Stetson. Their new All Beaver hat that I saw In Seattle has promise, though their other fur felt hats. The ones I see at Baron Hats or saw in France a few years back or bought from Peter Brothers... or seen anywhere. They just aren't that dense and don't take the rain very well.

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
como II

I just ordered the como II from Bencraft. I have a como, and although the softness of the hat is worrisome (haven't been caught in wet weather as of yet); I do deeply dig the lid.
I ordered the como II in taupe to wear with clothes that my dark gray como doesn't quite match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner