Reproduction classic workwear

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Matt Deckard, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

2. simonc

simonc Practically Family

3. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yeah it's all there, jacket included! I can't wait!

4. flat-top

Package arrived! I sized up on the Menlo which was wise. A large would not have fit well. But I also sized up on the mackinaw, and it's pretty huge. In the winter with a sweater I suppose it will work.

5. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

Those are nice. From the rivethead link they must be a Japanese brand. So out of my size range. Too wide shoulders for Japanese clothes.

6. Yes, amazingly the LVC leathers fit trim! Finally someone makes them trim, rather than the typical oversized absurdity.

7. SteveAS

SteveAS Practically Family

What'd you think of the Mackinaw? I ordered one, but I was disappointed it's extremely full cut below the armpit level and the dingy look (and unpleasant smell!) of the fabric. I have an actual 1940s Woolrich Mackinaw that looks much more crisp and is essentially odorless. I like the shawl collar and double-breasted styling of the LVC Mackinaw, but, given its shortcomings, I'll send mine back.

8. flat-top

I agree on all counts, but I'll still keep mine. It'll work for me I think with sweaters/ layers.
    I do wish I had bought my actual size though...

9. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Are you talking about this 1920s Mackinaw they have done before or is there a different one now?

[​IMG]

10. SteveAS

SteveAS Practically Family

What size do you need? Mine is a medium. If you want it, I'd be just as happy sending it to you as sending it back to Vente-Privee.

That looks like it, Rudie, though mine is red/black.

11. flat-top

I'm a true large, but I got an XL to be safe. It's funny, but I actually tried it on in a store a while back and loved it, but could not recall what size I tried on.
    On a strictly superficial note, I love the hang tags on this particular jacket!

12. Does it have handwarmer pockets?

13. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

No, it has just the patch pockets.

I own two of them. One in red/brown check and the other in a mix of black, charcoal, brown, and lighter grey or blue overcheck (don't remember exactly). I think they look great but they are very impractical. When I bought them I thought they would be similar to a pea coat in warmth, but they are unlined, the fabric is much lighter and also in a pretty open weave. The wind blows right thorough. The cut says cold chilly weather, but in reality it is good for mild sunny autumn days without wind. I took the black one to my trusted alterations tailor. I sourced heavy workwear cord (900 grams/m) and he makes a full lining from it. The coat is going to be much heavier but also much more useful to me.

14. Interesting. Maybe this accounts for the fit problems (too big through the chest and below) discussed above. With a good heavy liner, this would be negated?

15. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

I hope so. I don't have it yet. My tailor was unable to find suitable cord. I finally got it directly from a mill that makes fabrics for guild clothing, carpenters and such. And the cord is way cheaper than the British mills that offer similar weights. A meter costs only 16.75 EUR.

16. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Most of the originals of that style were unlined, but they were using 32 and 40 oz felted wool.

17. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Yes, and that's a big difference. My pea coat used 32 oz felted wool and a quilted liner and was pretty warm. I imagine 40 oz. felted wool to be of similar warmth. But this LVC reproduction is about 20 oz. at the most. All style but no substance.

18. Fly Boy

Fly Boy One of the Regulars

What kinda size is the LVC medium Steve? :)

19. flat-top