Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
mattfink said:
As long as the lab will do it, I don't think it's an issue. You could actually pick any pair of vintage frames and do the same.

I would just make sure they wrap a bit, even though a lot of vintage safety glasses looked pretty much like really stout Ray Bans. I wouldn't want tiny pieces of metal coming in from the sides, so I'd rather wear modern. And you want to make sure the frames aren't brittle, or they could break just when you want them to save your eyes. You could also do old welders goggles and have prescription lenses made; the lenses usually screwed out.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
jetgirl said:
I would just make sure they wrap a bit, even though a lot of vintage safety glasses looked pretty much like really stout Ray Bans. I wouldn't want tiny pieces of metal coming in from the sides, so I'd rather wear modern. And you want to make sure the frames aren't brittle, or they could break just when you want them to save your eyes. You could also do old welders goggles and have prescription lenses made; the lenses usually screwed out.

Most of the vintage safety frames have side shields, making them in effect goggles with arms.

-Dave

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
Most of the vintage safety frames have side shields, making them in effect goggles with arms.

-Dave

Your right, I forgot about that. I was thinking of the round thick kind with no sides. Goggles are such a pain.

FRANKIE

New in Town
Feraud said:
The Levi's store has cool chambray 5 button hooded pullovers on sale.
DSC08075.jpg
I've had one of these for a few months now and I like it enough that I bought another when I saw it on clearance today. I also picked up an incredibly soft striped button down. Levi's is really killing it lately for good looking affordable stuff.

mattfink

Practically Family
k449 said:
For anyone interested, e-workers now has larger sizing in the new batch of shirts. 17.5 is 23" chest, and they have an 18.5 in a 25.4" chest....

http://www.e-workers.net/store/33/eia1.htm

http://www.e-workers.net/store/33/eia2.htm

http://www.e-workers.net/store/33/eia3.htm

http://www.e-workers.net/store/33/eia4.htm

...I've been after Takashi for ages to make them in a real USA size, and these are getting there.

Funny thing is, 17.5 is a pretty big neck for a shirt that only has a 23" chest measurement. I wish he'd make the 17.5 with a 24" chest.

mattfink

Practically Family
marineabilly said:
Just posted a quick review and plenty of pics of the Red Sun-faded J.Crew workshirt - it has selvage!!!

Click HERE for the review.

Nice article! I have to agree that their shirts are really comfortable and look great. FYI, the gray one does not have selvage. :mad:

mattfink

Practically Family
Hey, if Dickies or Carhartt start making period perfect 1930's workwear for $20 a pop I'll be glad to buy it and destroy it. This stuff is just fashion.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Yes, it is as wrong as paying a lot of money for workwear and being afraid to do work in. ;)
It's just detail.

Exactly - it's a reproduction. Why not try and capture as much of the original as possible? Almost all Japanese repop workwear has a union label, some exact and some are interpretations with the company's name.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to see more items focusing on details that don't necessarily need to include a chinstrap. Wider variation of heavy duty materials used, and more 30's shaped collars would be great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy