Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
mike said:
I'd like to see more items focusing on details that don't necessarily need to include a chinstrap. Wider variation of heavy duty materials used, and more 30's shaped collars would be great!

I'd be the second customer and I second that collar sentiment.

I actually really like the J Crew nailhead shirt. That fabric is pretty interesting.

Feraud

Bartender
mike said:
I'd like to see more items focusing on details that don't necessarily need to include a chinstrap. Wider variation of heavy duty materials used, and more 30's shaped collars would be great!
Good point. The chinstrap is basically done to death by now.
A variety of materials, collar style, a dropped yoke or two, etc. should be the next step for the designs.

mike

Call Me a Cab
mattfink said:
Man, the quality just doesn't match the price there....would wait for a sale! :rolleyes:

I agree... something about the balance and lines just doesn't hit it out of the park for me :eusa_doh:

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Has anyone replaced the buttons on a vintage-esque work jacket and have an idea what kind to get? Even better, where to get them? I got a modern jacket that looks good, but the buttons are icky.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
jetgirl said:
Is dark brown corduroy too 70's? I've seen vintage navy, greys, olive...

I have some vintage dark brown corduroy. Plusfours, workpants, sleeved vest.
I like it. Just stay away from the trucker jackets and sheepskin trimmings.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Thanks.

Mysterious Mose said:
I have some vintage dark brown corduroy. Plusfours, workpants, sleeved vest.
I like it. Just stay away from the trucker jackets and sheepskin trimmings.

Good to know.
Sheepskin trim will forever remind me of Brokeback Mountain... :D

brokeback-mountain-300x225.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
jetgirl said:
Has anyone replaced the buttons on a vintage-esque work jacket and have an idea what kind to get? Even better, where to get them? I got a modern jacket that looks good, but the buttons are icky.

We got a ton of cat eye 30's buttons at the last vintage clothing show...dirt cheap.

YETI

A-List Customer
jetgirl said:
If the "O-town" where you're from is Oakland(CA), there's an old mom n pops place that sells vintage buttons deadstock in EL Cerrito. These buttons range from the 1930s - 60s. I've replaced buttons on my 50s gab shirts and 40s-50s suits with their merchandise.
http://www.indiebound.org/stores/exclusive-button-co
http://www.sweetsassafras.org/2008/08/06/the-mysterious-button-store

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
YETI said:
If the "O-town" where you're from is Oakland(CA), there's an old mom n pops place that sells vintage buttons deadstock in EL Cerrito. These buttons range from the 1930s - 60s. I've replaced buttons on my 50s gab shirts and 40s-50s suits with their merchandise.

oooo, a super secret button trove. Yes, it is Oakland. Thank you so much!

I was looking for "fish eye" buttons, now I can look for "cat's eyes" as well, thanks. Of course, cat's eyes makes much more sense. After looking at a bunch of photos of chore and railroad jackets, it seems like most of those are rivet buttons. I can probably replicate the look with flat metal shank buttons if I can't find good rivet buttons (most seem to have inappropriate embossed designs on them).

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
jetgirl said:
oooo, a super secret button trove. Yes, it is Oakland. Thank you so much!

I was looking for "fish eye" buttons, now I can look for "cat's eyes" as well, thanks. Of course, cat's eyes makes much more sense. After looking at a bunch of photos of chore and railroad jackets, it seems like most of those are rivet buttons. I can probably replicate the look with flat metal shank buttons if I can't find good rivet buttons (most seem to have inappropriate embossed designs on them).

Fish-eye is the vintage term for cat's eyes, I think.
You can try some of these:
http://thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=926103&postcount=11

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Mysterious Mose said:
Fish-eye is the vintage term for cat's eyes, I think.
You can try some of these:
http://thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=926103&postcount=11

Yes, I wish they made these still. All the modern versions of these seem to have flowers or crests or laurels embossed on them [huh] "Bachelor buttons"; I guess for those without a wife to sew the button on for them -- funny, haha, well, sort of... I'll look for a set (actually, 2 as I need 7 buttons...). But If I find a nice set on a card I'll probably feel too guilty about taking them off. Maybe I'll take them off and hang the card in my sewing dungeon. :) Thanks for the term though, now I can look for some..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24