Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

Feraud

Bartender
I never go for those cock-eyed, off center pockets.
It makes the garment look off balance to me.
flat-top said:
P5AJ3.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
I never go for those cock-eyed, off center pockets.
It makes the garment look off balance to me.

Was there a practical reason for the assymetrical pockets? Machinist's die in one, micrometer in the other, or somesuch?

Or just a modern, cock-eyed, off-center designer doing his thing?

-Dave

mattfink

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
Was there a practical reason for the assymetrical pockets? Machinist's die in one, micrometer in the other, or somesuch?

Or just a modern, cock-eyed, off-center designer doing his thing?

-Dave

On some of the 1920's railroad jackets, they have the watch pocket with a pen holder on the left. That's fairly practical I think. This modern one is probably purely aesthetic.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
The Levi's store has cool chambray 5 button hooded pullovers on sale.
DSC08075.jpg
I just picked up one of these for $17 and change today, along with a few more things. All the clearance at Levis is additional 30% off. And the Target Converse chinstrap shirts are also on sale now for $17 something.
Get to the mall guys!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I just picked this up at Target. The linen blend should make it good for summer.
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Converse 1 gusset
DSC_0006.jpg

yoke
DSC_0007.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
J B said:
Nice shirt, I know this is by Converse One Star, but was there a specific name for this product? I should be getting myself a good chambray work shirt.

I don't think this one is chambray, which I believe is a weave of just cotton, by definition. The chambray One Stars look a bit like bad military copies to me.

This one doesn't have any kind of model name on it, and I don't see it on Target's website. If you're interested, just pop into a Target and have a look around.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I returned the shirt to size down to Medium which, surprisingly, still has long enough arms for me, and ended up getting about $5 back because it's now on sale.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I don't think this one is chambray, which I believe is a weave of just cotton, by definition.

traditionally, chambray would be cotton, but what really makes chambray is the weave; white weft (the threads that run left and right from selvedge to selvedge) and coloured warp (the threads that run up and down the length of the fabric). this is what gives it the speckled look. you could do the same weave in linen or any blend. the shirt above looks like a chambray weave, albeit with a pinstipe, and in a linen/cotton blend.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
I think it's safe to say there is no end in sight of just how far the Japanese will go..!

Check out as much of this site as you can, TONS of great stuff mixed in with some interesting experiments too...

http://www.dappers.jp/contents.html

Has anyone successfully ordered from Dappers, Japan ?
i've emailed them to ask about ordering and how to pay etc, but no reply. maybe they don't do mail order. it's hard to tell as the site is in Japanese (obviously) !

mattfink

Practically Family
Love that jacket! Takashi is going to make an 18.5 (large) of the shirts for this lot. He might concede to doing a bigger one of these jackets if you ask him!

UserX

New in Town
This is my first post. And this thread is one of the sole reason I joined this forum. As it totally a interest of mine.. I generally wear a pair of high back demin bibs. Or a pair of full denim cover alls. A pair of 8" chippewa loggers in red wood. I work in the oilfield around 20s-30s-40s on up equipment. Ill post some pics next time Im around a comp.

mattfink

Practically Family
UserX said:
This is my first post. And this thread is one of the sole reason I joined this forum. As it totally a interest of mine.. I generally wear a pair of high back demin bibs. Or a pair of full denim cover alls. A pair of 8" chippewa loggers in red wood. I work in the oilfield around 20s-30s-40s on up equipment. Ill post some pics next time Im around a comp.

Welcome aboard! Can't wait to see the pics!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
mattfink said:
Welcome aboard! Can't wait to see the pics!

+1

Also, I’m curious as to in what oilfields in Michigan you work. I grew up in the Muskegon area, and there was a miniature oil boom there in the 1920s, but not much that I recall for active fields. I went to school in Mount Pleasant, and there were plenty of scattered wells around there.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana