Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But not the store's owner has to travel from Los Angeles to France, has to go all over France to find the stuff, and then has to get it shipped to Los Angeles. He does all the hunting and makes all the arrangements himself. No easy (or cheap) feat for a small business like "Mister Freedom".

People never consider this. [huh] I also never did but I try to. You pay for travel, shipping, storage, knowledge (!)...some of these things would have gone to the rags without collectors who find and re-sell them.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
People never consider this. [huh] I also never did but I try to. You pay for travel, shipping, storage, knowledge (!)...some of these things would have gone to the rags without collectors who find and re-sell them.

i doubt that is the real reason for pricing a pair of trousers at $700. scarcity is the main reason, but even then those items are not that rare. an English seller who regularly sells on American ebay finds exactly the same sort of French workwear, starts the bidding at $50 and makes very tidy profits, but i've never seen a pair of cords go for anywhere near $700.
i suspect that Christophe Loiron is really creating a vintage archive and those prices reflect the fact that he doesn't really want to part with those rare items at all.
or, he will, but only for x amount. if that's true, then i understand the pricing.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the price is very high and I am also an occasional cheapskate and bargainhunter. But the whole Mr Freedom concept is great. He does deliver vintage items to a niche market, does have a museum like store in LA and also does high-end reproductions. Maybe we can't afford them but they are really good and expensive to make. Fabric which was made just for this line and vintage glass buttons and stuff. This has to be financed in advance. Maybe the "profit" from the 700€ french cord pant goes straight into the production of a new MF item in his collection.
I can't buy them but I like that they are out there.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i personally don't know anyone who would pay $550 (£360) for a pair of vintage-inspired trousers such as the 'pantalon apache' as modelled here by Johnny Depp. do you ?

Deppinapaches.jpg

this is not sour grapes on my part... i'm genuinely interested to know who actually buys these items.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
... i'm genuinely interested to know who actually buys these items.

I don't know who do in general, but I can tell you whom I saw making purchases at the store's cash register the afternoon I visited: several Japanese men, a man with a Dutch accent, and an African-American man and his girlfriend(?)

Here's a link to a "Hall of Fame" of the store's visitors, some of whom might or might not be paying customers as well:

http://www.misterfreedom.com/?page_id=682

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

I really never find vintage workwear on german fleamarkets. I guess the vendors just don't think it will sell. If there is a trick I am yet to learn it. I have a blue work jacket from finland though.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
No, they don't. Welcome to the world of madeinchina.

Oh I'm well aware of that, the owner of my shop flies to America twice a year, spends a week sourcing vintage items, loads it into a 40 foot container and ships it back to the UK. Even with the exchange rate in our favor, it ain't cheap. Of course we have to mark up for this as well, but nothing like Mr. Freedom. Seriously insane markup on some of that stuff.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Half-button with "petal" front shirt-tails (is there a proper term for that cut?), gussets, chinstrap, long collar. Polo Ralph Lauren from a few seasons back.

IMG_4081.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

s_crumb

Familiar Face
I would have a hard time justifying it. If the item really spoke to me I might buy it. MF and Ironheart jeans etc etc seem to market themselves to the hipster crowd. Kids with trust funds or House DJ's.

Alas I don't have to worry about being tempted. I have a 45" chest. I'm too big to be cool. I can't wear the really cool stuff from E-workers or Buzz Rickson etc. It broke my heart.... I was in Yokohama for Mooneyes and I found a great shop that sold BR and The Few etc etc. Not one thing in the entire store fit. The owner was nice and gave me a stack of great catalogs....super nice gesture but didn't do anything but make me feel bad to have these great catalogs of clothing that won't fit. :)

i personally don't know anyone who would pay $550 (£360) for a pair of vintage-inspired trousers such as the 'pantalon apache' as modelled here by Johnny Depp. do you ?

this is not sour grapes on my part... i'm genuinely interested to know who actually buys these items.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Alas I don't have to worry about being tempted. I have a 45" chest. I'm too big to be cool. I can't wear the really cool stuff from E-workers or Buzz Rickson etc. It broke my heart....

I know the feeling.:) I look at that thank god they don't as it would make it hard to not want a pair. To me it's kind of funny that they make such small sizes in work wear as the men who wore it in the past where big guy's like my grandfather's. Men would worked hard for a living and had the size to prove it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch