Reproduction classic workwear

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Matt Deckard, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Does only the blue one have a chinstrap? I would prefer the grey shirt (but I don't see if they ship to continental europe at all)

2. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

I unfortunately cannot find pics online, but Old Navy has a new linen blend workshirt in 3 different vintage looking patterns. They each have one flap pocket and one cigarette pocket, cat eye buttons, and tails long enough to tuck in. I got mine on sale for $19.50 and then yesterday was an extra 40% off!

3. Fly Boy

Fly Boy One of the Regulars

Trying to locate some of these myself - Any stockists out this way?

4. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

I got a pink one which does have a chinstrap, and a gray one which, unexpectedly, does not. I contacted them about returning the gray one, now awaiting a reply. I like the look but i've noticed that arm movement becomes a bit limited when you tuck it in.

5. Fly Boy

Fly Boy One of the Regulars

I'm lucky enough to live not too far away from a Matalan. Picked up a pink and a stone one. They have them both with and without chinstraps. May go back for one or two more.

6. Nick Charles

Nick Charles Practically Family

Anyone see those old navy shirts out West I can't find in az

7. flat-top

Here in NY I have 3 Old Navys close by and only one had the shirts. Seems to be not an "all store" thing.

8. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

I got a blue one and a stone one both in a Large and both with strap/tab curiously only the L size has the tab and even some of those don't!
    I suspect they are made in China but appear well made enough with a half decent cloth being used.... I might return for a couple more one in grey and another blue one, the L size must be a 17" collar as it fits me spot on but beware they are a fitted shirt and you'd need to go up a size if you are fairly 'stocky', I am a 42" and the L is just a tad snug (though I need to loose a few pounds...'the winter layer!)

9. Raul

Raul Familiar Face

I just bougth on ebay this very nice Farah (El Paso, TX) selvedge chambray workshirt produced as part of Farah's 90th anniversary in 2010. It's a faithful repro of their first workshirt from 1920 (see old ad below) and it's from a limited edition of just 90.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  10. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Thank you for the clarification, I went to the local store and swapped mine for the chin strap version. :)

11. flat-top

Just reposting this link for no reason except that I love this site. Well, maybe because I had a great RRL outlet find this weekend. Yes the site is derivative, etc, but I find it very inspirational.
    The haircuts and all the models looks are period perfect.........(except the one chubby faced fella with the beard. He looks totally 2012 to me)!
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=11757743&ab=global_men_rrl

12. mattfink

mattfink Practically Family

flat-top...the guy in the front with the beard works at the Prince St. NYC location of RRL. :D

13. flat-top

Makes sense now!!:eusa_doh:

14. flat-top

Not sure where to post this, but I just picked up this killer patch. I'm not sure where to use it.
    A jacket? A chambray shirt? A sweater? It's 4.5" in diameter.
    What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]

15. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

Cool. Is the design simply painted on felt? Might design some of my own.

16. flat-top

Yes seems to be. I always try to design skull and crossbone but they never look crude enough to look vintage.

17. Pinesiw

Pinesiw A-List Customer

18. D Gambini

D Gambini New in Town

does anyone have that Levi's Wabash stripe workshirt in a medium they want to part with ???

19. flat-top

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  20. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits One of the Regulars

I borrowed a sewing machine from a friend and spent the last day and a half making this hickory stripe denim work vest with solid denim pockets and back panel. Its my first time making anything with a sewing machine and I didnt have a pattern to go off of but it turned out alright I think. I couldnt figure out how to get the button hole feature on the machine to work so I did those by hand. It fits pretty well. I also added a camo denim pocket on the inside.

[​IMG]