Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

potemkin_city_limits

One of the Regulars
Update on my denim pullover I mentioned a few weeks ago. I picked it up last week and have been wearing it every day since. The first thing I did was soak it for about 10 minutes and wore it until it dried. I realized shortly after picking it up that I made it a little too long but I wanted to get a little shrinkage out of the way before having it hemmed. Im taking it in tomorrow morning to get about 4 inches taken off the bottom.

Next up I am going to have a shawl collar chore coat similar to this one.

WWII_Impressions_Navy_Denim_Jacket.jpg

While I am sharing this I will also share a link to my new blog I just started at http://workingtodeath.tumblr.com. I should be updating it more over the next little while with some semi interesting stuff.

tumblr_m6wetjNmSV1rzb3ayo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m6wetjNmSV1rzb3ayo2_1280.jpg

Last edited:

mattfink

Practically Family
I've actually found that most of the recent stuff is either tts or oversized. I got the L Fair Isle sweater in red and wished now that I'd bought an M. You should really find out the measurements before dismissing LVC....check on Unionmade as they normally include measurements for most of the stuff they sell. For example, the XL of this jacket measures about 50" around the chest:

http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Levi_s_Vintage_Clothing_Sac_Coat_Lot_67_Chapel_Hil l_4823.html

Denimhunters

[video]https://vimeo.com/copenhagers/denimhunters[/video]

Flap top nice jacket LVC does'nt make my size 48 L so I never have to worry about buy it.
As I said before most of the vintage work wear repo's would not have fit my grandfathers who wore it back in the day. They where built like me big chest and they did the same kind of work Maintenance in a factory having to lift
heavy gearboxes and motors. All LVC stuff is cut way to small for someone doing that kind of work.:)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Matt will keep that in mind. All the neat made in Japan stuff is just too small for me. I have been wear Carhartt and and red cap uniform's for 35 years now and it's crazy seeing the stuff I wear every day at such a high price. Guy here would have passed out to see the stuff my grandfather wore as an engineer I know I wish I had some of his stuff as he was my same size.:)

cbrunt

One of the Regulars

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
pointer-brand-spring2012-09.jpg

This Hickory Stripe version is cool. I noticed on their Special Make home page they have new items coming. Will keep an eye on the page.
Good to see an true brand that has been making workwear for years cash in on the workwear craze. An at fair prices too.

potemkin_city_limits

One of the Regulars
It's funny I just saw those a few days ago and ordered one of the indigo denim ones. I wasn't sure about sizing so I got a small and extra small and I will return one. I'll be sure to post some photos and info here once it arrives. There isn't a lot of info online about pointer brands sizing and everyone seems to be given different measurements when you ask them about it.

I am considering getting the hickory stripe version too.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Yes, please, post images and opinion(s) of the shawl collar!!! I've had stuff from their regular line- I believe they ran pretty close in sizing. The denim is lightweight- wish it could be thicker, but the the idea is light and cheap.

Edit... No, now that I think of it the pointer brand stuff ran a scooch small. Both chore coat and carpenter pants... Gave the chore coat away...

Last edited:

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
It's great that the Pointer stuff is cheap and made in the USA but I wasn't wowed w/ the constsruction quality on the denim chore coat I ordered from them (especially the seams).

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
I remember the construction being mediocre. But the images on the "tumblr" site show good construction... So tired of ordering stuff site-unseen and being dissapointed !!!

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
I would contact Pointer and see if they will replace it.
Can you post an image of the seam in question?
Of coarse at 52.50 instead of 350.00 there is a different expectation.

It's not just one seam in question, it's all of them! It's just how they make them. I don't know the technical term... lack of "felled seams" I think. It just felt pretty cheap in general.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
It's not just one seam in question, it's all of them! It's just how they make them. I don't know the technical term... lack of "felled seams" I think. It just felt pretty cheap in general.

As you said, it is just how they make them. I have three pointers, various ages, one with 12 years of camping, work, fishing, and farm use, and not a single seam has failed. In my opinion the seams are fine just not as reenforced as others. No triple stitching.

After seeing better photos of the new stuff, I believe they could be a bit more of what you are looking for in flat felled seams.

potemkin_city_limits

One of the Regulars
I just got my shawl collar denim chore coat from Pointer. I can try to take some photographs later. The chest measurement for the small is 21.5". The sleeves feel a tiny bit short but I am going to get the jacket damp later and try to stretch them out a little bit. I can let you know how that goes.

I had ordered a small and an extra small and planned to return whatever one didnt fit after the fact. If anyone in Canada or Toronto especially is interested in the extra small one let me know otherwise I will be mailing it back this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21