Reproduction classic workwear

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Matt Deckard, Oct 20, 2004.

1. pipvh

pipvh Practically Family

Different here in the UK. It's very hard to find vintage workwear - British or French - in modern sizes. People worked hard but they weren't big in our terms - tough as nails, of course. Bad nutrition, bad working conditions, living conditions...

2. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

3. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Usually I am envious of the Target deals because we don't have the store in europe. But this chambray shirt is only so so....I am not crazy about the faded look and the sleeve pocket.

I just found out that ASOS has some workwear inspired deals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. flat-top

Check out this new LVC shirt......

[​IMG]

Image borrowed from the Loomstate blog.

5. Trotsky

Trotsky A-List Customer

GAP has a French work wear inspired jacket. Blue, with buttons up to the top, but ironed down to a more conventional lapel. Patch pockets, the whole deal. It will be a deal with they discount it to 50% or 70% but too pricey at $108.

6. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits One of the Regulars

I picked up these Levis Vintage Clothing distressed chinos for $50 the other day. I had to get the waist taken in but otherwise they fit pretty well. Full retail on these is supposed to be over $325.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. flat-top

Where did you find these at such a great price?

8. potemkin_city_limits

There is a store here in Toronto that had two pairs that never sold so they dropped the price to $50 to get rid of them. They were tagged as 33x34 but they fit more like 36 in the waist. I paid another $20 at my alterations place to get the waist taken in and I had them add belt loops using the fabric they cut out.

I would have been pretty upset if I had paid full price for them since the hand sewn area on the front started to come apart after one wear so I had to resew them myself.

9. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Stopped by Klaxon Howl in Toronto a few days ago. They appear to be the local seller of Buzz Rickson goods, and have their own line of 1930s style workwear and shirts. Looks as though a lot of vintage militaria gets funneled into the shop.

http://www.klaxonhowl.com/

[​IMG]

10. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

interview with Takashi Tateno, the guy behind Workers, who produce KT&H replica workwear shirts:

http://thescoutmag.com/features/style_fashion/1224/workers

i have one of their chambray Big Yank inspired shirts (below) and can vouch for the fact that the attention to detail is remarkable. this guy is obsessed with the different types of stitching you can get from industrial machines !

[​IMG]

thanks to Rivet Head for drawing my attention to the interview.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  11. potemkin_city_limits

I picked up this great denim peacoat from a store here in Toronto. It was originally priced at $195 then marked down to $89 plus an additional 10% off sale so I got it for $83 with taxes. The fit is great and it has all the same details as my vintage 10 button wool peacoat.

[​IMG]

12. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks great. What's the brand?

I bought a new magazine about workwear reproductions (and some other stuff) today. Found it at a Virgin (the brand) bookstore at the train station.
    http://theheritagepost.com/

13. potemkin_city_limits

The jacket is by a company called Creep. Im actually pretty impressed with the amount of detail in this jacket. I have seen the Denim and Supply version in person and thought it looked really cheap and fit like crap. This one is pretty much identical to my vintage 40s wool peacoat only in denim. It even comes with a removable chin strap.

Fortunately for me I got the last one the store had in stock. Im not sure if they even make them anymore. It was from their 2011 collection.

I also picked up this vintage russian naval shirt from a local army surplus store today for $15.

[​IMG]

14. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

My dad used to call those "Spetznaz shirts".

-Dave

15. Splitcoil

Splitcoil One of the Regulars

That's a very common misconception among Cold War-era military folks (don't know if that's where your dad got it). The dark blue stripes are Russian navy. Spetsnaz and paratroopers wore light blue stripes.

16. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

Yup, USAF 1968-74. Too bad he's not still around, he'd be interested to know that.

-Dave

17. mattfink

mattfink Practically Family

18. Ike C

Ike C New in Town

I picked up this shirt from the thrift store today, what do you think?[​IMG]

19. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Thrift Shop Pick-up. Made by Club Monaco, which is owned by Ralph Lauren. Another brand that's jumped on the workwear trend pretty heavy the past couple of years.
    Cigarette pocket, chin strap, gussets.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  20. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many