Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

mattfink

Practically Family
I've got the USN Chambray and it's pretty good...feels like it'll stand up to some wear and tear. Also have the USN denim deck jacket with the shawl collar...very nice!

mattfink

Practically Family
Golden Earache said:
I almost bought it today, but have to run it by the wife. I bought the grey chambray that DM has and a blue campshirt yesterday, so you see my dilemma. Went to another store, wish I had gone there yesterday as they have the grey, the USN, the new button down collar blue chambray and the original light blue flap pocket.

The USN and the button down are both selvedge and very nice, although I hate button downs, so I am going to get the USN and the blue flap pocket.

Cheers.

I was able to score the light blue flap pocket one with the chinstrap on eBay for $16!!!

mike

Call Me a Cab
These will be available through e-workers in a few months...!

L1010415.jpg

L1010418.jpg

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
mike said:
Although he hasn't written back to me in the last few weeks, he has always been available and easy to speak with about sizing and stuff in the past through his email address: order@e-workers.net

***I was in touch with him before, and at first he seemed eager to deal with us "gaijin", but now he won't respond to my emails requesting sizes/descriptions in English for his new items. I think I may have pissed him off by not buying something...

One word of warning folks; his sizing is rather bizarre-the x-large size shirts for instance have a pathetic 22" chest and 27" inch sleeves (!). Fine for a basketball player maybe, but not me. I asked him to make the arms shorter and chest bigger for future shirts, and he said "he'll think about it". That was the last I heard from him.

Feraud

Bartender
I believe the fellow who does the e-workers stuff is aware of the sizing difference between the Japanese and American markets.
This is probably a supply and demand issue. I wouldn't expect him to change his production unless there is sufficient demand.

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
Agreed, but since he is accepting orders (according to his website) from overseas customers, he should try to make his clothes in standard Western sizes if he expects to get any business. It shouldn't be that hard to make something a little bit shorter here and a little bit longer there to fit the majority of customers in a given size...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

That's the point: there isn't sufficient demand coming from the U.S.

Who buys up the rare vintage U.S. workwear on eBay? Americans? Hardly.

Who buys up the Japanese repros of rare vintage U.S. workwear? Americans? Not really. Europeans? A few more. Asians? Many, many more.

Nearly all Americans aren't willing to pay really high prices for incredibly authentic-looking repros of vintage workwear, and the Japanese manufacturers refuse to cut corners in order to make them cheaper and ubiquitous.

Americans buy Levi's vintage repros and those Gap chambray shirts.

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:

Who buys up the Japanese repros of rare vintage U.S. workwear? Americans? Not really. Europeans? A few more. Asians? Many, many more.

Nearly all Americans aren't willing to pay really high prices for incredibly authentic-looking repros of vintage workwear, and the Japanese manufacturers refuse to cut corners in order to make them cheaper and ubiquitous."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Can't argue with that. However, if a company does want to get some overseas customers, they do need to be a little more tuned in with what we need (eg: sizing). If they're going to copy our clothes, they least they can do is offer us their products in wearable sizes, no? :)

It may well be a lost cause, though...when I was living in Tokyo a few years ago, I remember practically begging the owner of Jubilee Shoes to make his shoes in larger sizes, and he wouldn't budge. Weird...I guess my money wasn't good enough for him.

mattfink

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

Nearly all Americans aren't willing to pay really high prices for incredibly authentic-looking repros of vintage workwear, and the Japanese manufacturers refuse to cut corners in order to make them cheaper and ubiquitous.

Americans buy Levi's vintage repros and those Gap chambray shirts.

I buy as much Japanese repro stuff as I can get..much better quality. Unfortunately, I'm 6' 4" and 200lbs....much bigger than the average Japanese consumer.

mattfink

Practically Family
resortes805 said:
Whoa, two flat top's in the same thread...trippy.

Speedway, who work very well with overseas customers is selling these Black chambray slacks:
img56155224.gif

You can go to their website, or find them on ebay.http://www.rakuten.co.jp/speedway-shop/

Anyone know if these are hemmed? The inseam length appears to be slightly over 34" which would be fine for me if hemmed. If not hemmed, it could be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner